Convert a Phantom to an Hexacopter

Reaction score
Can it be done?
Has anyone done it?

I have crashed P2V+ I'm rebuilding. But i already have another new P2V+.
So I was thinking if I could convert the old one to an Hexacopter and fly with my mirroless Sony NEX5.

I know I have to buy 2 extra motors and ESCs, but where to I connect them? does the P2V+ components allow 2 more motors+escs connected to it?
What hex body is best for this?

Thanks

The Naza in the P2 is limited to 4 motors by the firmware. Even if it could do 6 motors it would have a hard time carrying a NEX5 and gimbal.

I read somewhere you can change the Naza to 6 motors with the phantom app on a laptop, is that wrong?

I read somewhere you can change the Naza to 6 motors with the phantom app on a laptop, is that wrong?
I don't think it's wrong.

I've seen a video here of a guy, I think in Seattle who did it. I've read of others too.

The NAZA can control 6 motors.

Use the google link in my signature to look for it.

I'be been googling for a some time now, and I found one or 2 guys that were thinking on doing it, but found no one that has done it. :S

The 'Phantom' Naza is limited to Phantom f/w which will not allow reconfiguration.

Is there a hack to get around this?

FWIW I've not seen one here.

I don't think it's wrong.

I've seen a video here of a guy, I think in Seattle who did it. I've read of others too.

The NAZA can control 6 motors.

Use the google link in my signature to look for it.

I think you are right , see pic shows 6 motor connector location:)

Can't seem to upload pic sorry

Last edited:
FC40??? How about a P2 Naza like the OP mentioned?

Really??? Dude, you're scaring me. What's inside a P2 for the flight controller?

OOh, lemme guess... http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Naza-M-V2

If it will work for a FC40, I think it will work for the P1, P2, P2V and ... hold on to your seats... :eek:
the P2V+. I can understand having to show this to the new guys, but to you??? Did I pee in your cheerios this morning and not realize it?:confused:

Here are my answers, if you don't like them then prove me wrong. :p

CONVERT A PHANTOM TO AN HEXACOPTER
Can it be done? YES
Has anyone done it? YES

I know I have to buy 2 extra motors and ESCs, but where to I connect them? TO THE 5 & 6 MOTOR SLOTS ON THE NAZA

does the P2V+ components allow 2 more motors+escs connected to it? YES
This one I do not know.

I had to edit this post because I got my panties in a bunch and misspelled Phantom... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod
I'm thinking about the body of a F550 seams to be the best bet, and its cheap.
The only problem now is how to change the naza setting to 6 motors?

Really??? Dude, you're scaring me. What's inside a P2 for the flight controller?

If it will work for a FC40, I think it will work for the P1, P2, P2V and ... hold on to your seats... :eek:
the P2V+. I can understand having to show this to the new guys, but to you??? Did I pee in your cheerios this morning and not realize it?:confused:

CONVERT A PHANOTM TO AN HEXACOPTER
Can it be done? YES
Has anyone done it? YES

I know I have to buy 2 extra motors and ESCs, but where to I connect them? TO THE 5 & 6 MOTOR SLOTS ON THE NAZA

This one I do not know.
the Naza unit on my P2V+ does not say V2 on it..

Ok, i've done some more reading. The Naza module on P2 are V2 modules. But... with a different firmware.
It seams we need to find a way to upload the firmaware of a native Naza M v2 onto a Phantom Naza module... any toughts?

CONVERT A PHANOTM TO AN HEXACOPTER
Can it be done? YES
Has anyone done it? YES

This one I do not know.

Just waiting for the [Wyoming] dust to settle here when it will be clear the FC40 FC is not the same as the Phantom 2 series FC. (Why they continue to be conflated is beyond me now.)

I can't prove a negative.

Ok, i've done some more reading. The Naza module on P2 are V2 modules. But... with a different firmware.
It seams we need to find a way to upload the firmaware of a native Naza M v2 onto a Phantom Naza module... any toughts?

Yes,
S.O.L.

Alrighty then, I went out and picked some sage, tied it up and burned it. I chanted and danced until the thunderstorm appeared. I meditated and did some Yoga. When I finally achieved a calm state, I listened. The voices in my head still told me "Yes that can be done, in fact someone has done it before".

So there's where I'm at. I hate ending sentences with a preposition, but find myself doing it quite frequently these days.:rolleyes:

Great stuff macsoft, that information can help a great deal.

So, weather and time permitting I will continue along with this thread, ON TOPIC, for the duration. :D
I will make no promises as to my reaction to the nay-sayers. :p

Honestly, I like the challenge and when DJI told me I could not have OSD on the FC40, I started this thread: http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/osd-on-the-fc40-and-dji-said-it-couldnt-be-done.31638/

I'm no pioneer, but do like to spread the word. :)

That is not much helpful.
If its a software lock, it can always be undone.
here is a way to upload the V2 firmware on Naza lite hardware: http://naza-upgrade.com/
Maybe this is helpful to us?

Macsoft,
I just noticed the topic and not that I'm wanting to do this but the discussion intrigued me. Then I read NO17RW's post where he said, "Is there a hack to get around this?" Must be the hacker in me but that REALLY peaked my interest! .. LOL I was just going to search around a little about this. Well, 3 hours later I think I wound up where you must have eventually landed on the Mini MultiRotor forum because I seen your post there. GOOD FOR YOU for tracking down an answer to your question! Or at least trying to anyway. I think your on the right track. It's all rather confusing but from what I can gather is that even though the FC40 & P2V both use the same Naza-M V2 the difference is they use different firmware versions and therefore different Assistant software versions. In my Assistant software I use for my FC40 which is 2.20 I have the option in the menu under the "BASIC" tab to select "AIRCRAFT" which allows me to select different motor configurations. In the Assistant 3.8 version I take it that the "AIRCRAFT" selection isn't there? The "tool" I think there using in the link you quoted above is just a bootloader (I think) that will allow one to flash new firmware to the Naza. BUT there using a Naza-M Lite controller, not the Naza-M V2 that we have. AND they have to downgrade before upgrading. If it were me I'd be a little afraid of bricking my Naza. I ran the exe "tool" file and here's a screenshot of it:
Like I said, there connecting USB to a Naza-M Lite controller in order to run Naza-M Lite Assistant 1.00 and we have a Naza-M V2. My apologies, I don't think I've helped much and probably haven't told you anything you haven't already found out. I'm too tired to do more investigating but I'll certainly keep an eye on the thread because "Inquiring Minds want To Know".. :D
Best'O Luck...
BOT

Reactions: dirkclod

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl