Consumer Alert !!!!!

Not sure how many service contracts he had. But, as the word spreads, his list of friends grows shorter----- and the list of enemies longer.

I didn't have to use my contract for repairs, so I'm out very little. But some have big bucks invested in this service, and their birds are tied up at the repair facility. I feel for those guys, and hope they can recover their losses.......ALL of it.

Reactions: Crack The Sky
I;ve been following along,. this guy, jeez!! sorry for you guys. From the response, do you think this all came to a head, before he got into allot of peoples pockets?
Are we talking a few phantom pilots, or are we talking 100's of people?
I'd hate to think he's off somewhere ordering Mi-Ti's with a blonde on his arm!!
Mai Tai - ahem.

I personally don't understand why it would matter if you flew hobby or commercial - a crash is a crash... kinda irrelevant if you were flying hobby or commercial - IMHO
Insurance companies all calculate premiums based on risk, to them it may be a big difference to their perceived loss/chance of a claim between business/hobby use. Best scenario is where they can bill premiums with low chance of a claim being lodged.

From my conversation with the repair place, he sold HUNDREDS of contracts !!!!!!

Of course not all of them have or will file a claim. But hundreds are either directly or potentially impacted!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: captainmilehigh
A couple of things... we don't typically allow vendor complaints but in the interest of protecting our members, we will let it stay.

State Farm seems to vary by state. My policy in NY was $60, no deductible, full payment (receipt value), upon a claim.

Neary's website isn't down, and he still appears to be selling contracts. Just the main page is not loading... add the following to the website...
Code:
/product-category/drone-service-contracts/
He has sold many, many policies, I hope you guys get your quads & money back.

A couple of things... we don't typically allow vendor complaints but in the interest of protecting our members, we will let it stay.

State Farm seems to vary by state. My policy in NY was $60, no deductible, full payment (receipt value), upon a claim.

Neary's website isn't down, and he still appears to be selling contracts. Just the main page is not loading... add the following to the website...
Code:
/product-category/drone-service-contracts/
He has sold many, many policies, I hope you guys get your quads & money back.

Thanks for letting this one play out TJ. It affects many of our members, including me. Even though I haven't had to use the service contract, I still paid for it. Many have their birds tied up at the repair center awaiting payment that may never come. Sad indeed.

Yet MORE BAD News....

Amex denied my claim stating aircraft are excluded... DAMMMM $1500 bucks down the drain. Thanks Matt Neary (heavy sarcasm).
Did you try a chargeback with Amex? That's what you should be doing, since you paid for a service contract and the merchant reneged on it. I know Amex has replacement coverage if you buy certain products with your Amex, so maybe that's what they thought you were trying to do? A chargeback is different and should be straight forward when there are fraud issues.

Reactions: macoman
Elfhefe,

Their policy once they showed me is quite clear. So nothing I can do. Btw what is a charge back. Guess I should have asked that first.

I have another issue with Amex escalated to their corp office. The person I'm dealing with for that called me with an update on that issue. I asked if there was anything he can do - but not holding my breath.

Update on SF: LuvmyTJ is right it totally varies from state to state. Here in GA its $60. He told me i needed a $100 deductible based on the value and that I had no other policies with them. It took some time to get this out of him, but commercial work is not covered - which shocked me. I mean damage to drone is damage to drone, regardless of hobby vs. comm. I mean if you crash into a tree or lake - does it matter?

What I ended up doing since I got BURNT by Neary and Amex, I got both DJI care and SF. DJI for if flying comm. SF for lost or stolen (which DJI doesn't cover). I just don't want to shell out $1500 a 3rd time for another drone - twice is more than enough.

If it helps with your investigation, here is some information on Mr. Neary:

Name | Matt Neary
Organization | Neary Inspections
Address | 8414 Pheasant Dr
City | Florence
State / Province | Kentucky
Postal Code | 41042
Phone | +1.8594458589

You may already know this, but I'm just trying to help out how I can :) sounds like a sticky situation.

Information pulled from neary-aerial.com whois lookup - who.is

Elfhefe,

Their policy once they showed me is quite clear. So nothing I can do. Btw what is a charge back. Guess I should have asked that first.

I have another issue with Amex escalated to their corp office. The person I'm dealing with for that called me with an update on that issue. I asked if there was anything he can do - but not holding my breath.

Update on SF: LuvmyTJ is right it totally varies from state to state. Here in GA its $60. He told me i needed a $100 deductible based on the value and that I had no other policies with them. It took some time to get this out of him, but commercial work is not covered - which shocked me. I mean damage to drone is damage to drone, regardless of hobby vs. comm. I mean if you crash into a tree or lake - does it matter?

What I ended up doing since I got BURNT by Neary and Amex, I got both DJI care and SF. DJI for if flying comm. SF for lost or stolen (which DJI doesn't cover). I just don't want to shell out $1500 a 3rd time for another drone - twice is more than enough.
A chargeback is when you pay for something with a credit card and the merchant doesn't deliver what was paid for. You initiate the chargeback with your bank/credit card issuer then they investigate and decide if you were defrauded. If so, they give you your money back and take it back from the merchant. Sorry, I wasn't clear, but this only applies to getting your money back from Neary, not paying to have your Phantom fixed.

No problem... Well the merchant delivered (amazon delivered the drone) which is what I was hoping the protection plan would cover me on, which alas it does't. So based on what you said don't think that would help.

Hoping my contact in Amex Corp office can help but not holding my breath

No problem... Well the merchant delivered (amazon delivered the drone) which is what I was hoping the protection plan would cover me on, which alas it does't. So based on what you said don't think that would help.

Hoping my contact in Amex Corp office can help but not holding my breath
But you should be able to get your money back on the protection plan, right? Or has that already happened?

If you mean amex no. if you mean from Neary, I tried but his bank has declined (lack of payment) which i'm pursuing with Paypal

If you mean amex no. if you mean from Neary, I tried but his bank has declined (lack of payment) which i'm pursuing with Paypal
Okay, my bad. I was confused about what you were trying to do and assumed you paid Neary with the Amex. Did you use a credit card when you made the PayPal payment to Neary or did you use a linked bank account or PayPal balance?

Sorry for confusion. I used Amex for both purchase of the drone and insurance through Neary.

For the purchase of drone I tried to go through Amex for protection, which is the one they denied claiming "aircraft" aren't covered

For Insurance policy, Neary said he refunded it. But his bank denied. So working with Paypal to get that back

Sorry for confusion. I used Amex for both purchase of the drone and insurance through Neary.

For the purchase of drone I tried to go through Amex for protection, which is the one they denied claiming "aircraft" aren't covered

For Insurance policy, Neary said he refunded it. But his bank denied. So working with Paypal to get that back
You should be able to initiate a chargeback through Amex for your payment to Neary.

NUTS ! I too have a service repair contract with NearyAerial. They (Matt) have always been honest with me, so I'm really confused at this development. I sent Matt an email, so hopefully he will respond. If he does, I'll post results back here.

Until then, I'll try not to crash. [emoji37]
Just finding out about this as I was wondering why the website isn't working. I had a policy on my P3P and P4 and they were great to work with. Sorry to hear this. Is there anyone else out there offering similar?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl