Connecting the HDMI module to a HD monitor powered through an inverter?

Reaction score
I have the HDMI output module and I am very pleased with the quality of the picture on a Philips HDMI monitor. I am using a 5 meter HDMI standard to mini cable which means I can connect the RC to the monitor and fly from outside my study, with the monitor plugged into the mains.

However, I would like to take the monitor out into the field. I have a few deep cycle batteries which I use to charge my batteries when I am out on a long shoot, and it occurred to me that I could drive the monitor from one of those as well. This will help enormously with search and retrieve type missions for example. I am considering putting the monitor up in the back of my SUV, and with a 5 meter cable I will be able to easily move around the the back of the SUV while flying, and the monitor will be out of the sun's glare.

Is it safe for the monitor? Are there other considerations?

There are 5 - 7 inch HDMI monitors that run on 12 V or just various DLSR / Camcorder batteries. Reasonable ones cost a couple hundred dollars. Daylight level HDMI monitors are quite a bit more expensive but about the only thing you can use in direct sun (other than a goggle system). That's a whole lot lighter and less complex than schlepping around a deep cycle 12 V battery and an inverter and associated cables.

But any sine wave inverter should run any TV monitor.

There are 5 - 7 inch HDMI monitors that run on 12 V or just various DLSR / Camcorder batteries. Reasonable ones cost a couple hundred dollars. Daylight level HDMI monitors are quite a bit more expensive but about the only thing you can use in direct sun (other than a goggle system). That's a whole lot lighter and less complex than schlepping around a deep cycle 12 V battery and an inverter and associated cables.

But any sine wave inverter should run any TV monitor.
I schlepp the batteries and inverters anyway!

I don't intend using it in direct sunlight. That is the whole point of the exercise.

Does it have to be a sine wave inverter?

Last edited:
I schlepp the batteries and inverters anyway!

I don't intend using it in direct sunlight. That is the whole point of the exercise.

Does it have to be a sine wave inverter?
Pretty much it has to be a sine wave inverter. Most modern power supplies, especially the cheaper ones like you find in consumer electronics, do poorly with square wave inverters. The other problem with any inverter except the most expensive is noise. This can be a PITA to get rid of.

Pretty much it has to be a sine wave inverter. Most modern power supplies, especially the cheaper ones like you find in consumer electronics, do poorly with square wave inverters. The other problem with any inverter except the most expensive is noise. This can be a PITA to get rid of.
Cheers.
I have two 'modified sine wave' 300w inverters. I'll try one of them and see how it goes.

Here is a short clip showing the HDMI module connected to an HD monitor running off an inverter. I was using the lowest quality downlink and the video image was still excellent, with no electrical noise and no lag. I am very pleased with the results.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

good to know. i'm actually going to do the same setup!

good to know. i'm actually going to do the same setup!
I do feel some heat through the plastic cover over the HDMI board, but I expect some heat is normal?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic