conflicted: Phantom 4 Pro + (with 5.5” display) vs the Phantom 4 Pro

Reaction score

Hi all

I am conflicted between the Phantom 4 Pro + (with 5.5” display) vs the Phantom 4 Pro

Any and all thoughts are welcome.

First real drone for me. Will use it for filming and photography, and flying fun.

Advantages (for me) of Phantom 4 Pro + (with 5.5” display)

No ipad mini to make sure is charged

quicker to set up remote

very, very bright screen

remote + screen is lighter to hold

According to the announcement - there is less image lag, due to an optimized setup with the built in screen of the + version. (this is a big plus for me)

(edit) as it has speaker, sd card slot, wifi, it would be possible to do video uploads on location, and not have to have a laptop with me. Not always needed, but could be very useful in certain situations. (casual filming while on the road without a laptop)

(edit) already has HDMI out, so no $100 adaptor needed.

Disadvantages of Phantom 4 Pro + (with 5.5” display)

Screen is only 5.5”

Can’t easily use a bigger screen with it

If you plug in a bigger screen via HDMI out on remote, it [supposedly] disables the 5.5” screen. (was just told this with DJI sales chat person … i wonder if it is true)

Advantages (for me) of Phantom 4 Pro (no screen)

It is cheaper, however I dont own an iPad mini.

I could get ipad mini, and use it as a 7.9” screen

7.9” screen is much bigger than a 5.5” screen! ;-)

https://www.macobserver.com/imgs/reviews/Comparison_of_screen_sizes_920x685.jpg

I could run Litchi (but honestly not sure I would….. i would like to fly, not set waypoints, and watch it fly)

Disadvantages of Phantom 4 Pro + (no screen)

Ipad is not as bright as 1,000 nits, at all, so significantly dimmer.

I’d want to use a hood, for sure, and the bigger display would still be dimmer than the P4Pro+ display.

———> info about Phantom 4 Pro + display, from DJI website:

"A 5.5in 1080p screen integrated with the Phantom 4 Pro+ offers 1000 cd/m2 of brightness, more than twice as bright as conventional smart devices. It makes bright, vivid colors easily visible in direct sunlight. With this screen, a mobile device is not required, simplifying pre-flight preparations.

——> As the DJI GO app is built into the screen, hardware and software can be fully optimized, further reducing video lag. Integration of an HDMI port, Micro SD card slot, microphone, embedded loudspeaker, and Wi-Fi connection allow images to be edited inside DJI GO to be shared almost instantly"

Last edited:
The deal breaker for me would be 3rd party app compatibility,specifically Litchi. I like flying missions, and DJI go is nowhere near as good as Litchi.
I also like the larger 7.9 screen of the Ipad.

Personally the 5.5" is just too small for me. I use an air 2 and absolutely love the large screen. You could consider the p4p without the built in screen and just buy a dji CrystalSky in the 7.85" size when it becomes available, when/price unknown I believe. If the CrystalSky is competitively priced and you're in the market, it would probably be a no brainer.

Hi all

I am conflicted between the Phantom 4 Pro + (with 5.5” display) vs the Phantom 4 Pro

Any and all thoughts are welcome.

First real drone for me. Will use it for filming and photography, and flying fun.

Advantages (for me) of Phantom 4 Pro + (with 5.5” display)

No ipad mini to make sure is charged

quicker to set up remote

very, very bright screen

remote + screen is lighter to hold

According to the announcement - there is less image lag, due to an optimized setup with the built in screen of the + version. (this is a big plus for me)

Disadvantages of Phantom 4 Pro + (with 5.5” display)

Screen is only 5.5”

Can’t easily use a bigger screen with it

If you plug in a bigger screen via HDMI out on remote, it [supposedly] disables the 5.5” screen. (was just told this with DJI sales chat person … i wonder if it is true)

Advantages (for me) of Phantom 4 Pro (no screen)

It is cheaper, however I dont own an iPad mini.

I could get ipad mini, and use it as a 7.9” screen

7.9” screen is much bigger than a 5.5” screen! ;-)

https://www.macobserver.com/imgs/reviews/Comparison_of_screen_sizes_920x685.jpg

I could run Litchi (but honestly not sure I would….. i would like to fly, not set waypoints, and watch it fly)

Disadvantages of Phantom 4 Pro + (no screen)

Ipad is not as bright as 1,000 nits, at all, so significantly dimmer.

I’d want to use a hood, for sure, and the bigger display would still be dimmer than the P4Pro+ display.

———> info about Phantom 4 Pro + display, from DJI website:

"A 5.5in 1080p screen integrated with the Phantom 4 Pro+ offers 1000 cd/m2 of brightness, more than twice as bright as conventional smart devices. It makes bright, vivid colors easily visible in direct sunlight. With this screen, a mobile device is not required, simplifying pre-flight preparations.

——> As the DJI GO app is built into the screen, hardware and software can be fully optimized, further reducing video lag. Integration of an HDMI port, Micro SD card slot, microphone, embedded loudspeaker, and Wi-Fi connection allow images to be edited inside DJI GO to be shared almost instantly"
You forgot as an advantage, that the built in screen RC has already HDMI and an SD slot, therefore the +300$ is only 200$ as the upgrade kit would be 100$

Reactions: Hovtech and John_LA
Can anyone confirm that third party apps can't run on the display? It is android OS right?

I did some research on nits (screen brightness) and 1000 nits is supposedly WAY brighter than 500 nits (it is not a linear scale)

an ipad mini 4 is about 400 nits, i believe.

so I think i'd prefer a VERY bright 5.5" screen to a fairly washed out 7.9" screen.... :-/

I did some research on nits (screen brightness) and 1000 nits is supposedly WAY brighter than 500 nits (it is not a linear scale)

an ipad mini 4 is about 400 nits, i believe.

so I think i'd prefer a VERY bright 5.5" screen to a fairly washed out 7.9" screen.... :-/
Exactly. A small screen you can see is much better than a large scree you have to squint at (BTDT, and I'm tired of it.) Trying to use a cellphone or tablet in this role 'kinda works' but has always seemed toy-like to me. I'm happy to have a more professional solution available at half the cost of buying a CrystalSky.

Can anyone confirm that third party apps can't run on the display? It is android OS right?
It is Android and I have seen pictures of the screen with Facebook and other apps loaded so I think this is possible, but from what I've read the P4P+ preproduction models at least will not run third party control apps. Actually the standard P4P doesn't support them either because DJI has not released a SDK for the P4P series. What the production P4P models will or won't support can only be a matter of speculation at this point, we will just have to wait and see,

Last edited:
Will batteries from the standard P4 work with pro. I understand it will have less time.

Does anyone know if the Controller with display can be connected with a VR goggle via USB for use use with litchi?

I already have a P4 and I will use that as a back up to this. But I can't decide if I should get the one with display or not because at times I want to use third party software. I wonder if the P4 controller is the same as the P4 pro one.

Get the new display it isn't even a question. The screen will outshine the sun at 1000 nits. I've tried every screen man made and they all suck. To dim in direct sun. This screen will now let you fly in sunlight. Plus less lag as there aren't 200 phone apps running in the back ground. Kinda like a play station 4 running smoother than a computer. Not a balls out PC but apples to apples.

the person here commented very favorably about the brightness of the P4Pro+ screen.... while standing in sunlight.

:)

"this screen is incredible, I dont even need a hood.."

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

So I'm confused and can't seem to find an answer. Does the remote have both USB and HDMI finally? I prefer to use an iPad and want to be able to broadcast to a monitor or TV at the same time. Is this not possible without buying an HDMI module like in the past? Sounds like in order to get an HDMI output I must go with the plus version and give up the iPad.

So I'm confused and can't seem to find an answer. Does the remote have both USB and HDMI finally? I prefer to use an iPad and want to be able to broadcast to a monitor or TV at the same time. Is this not possible without buying an HDMI module like in the past? Sounds like in order to get an HDMI output I must go with the plus version and give up the iPad.
The P4P+ model (with the built-in screen) includes an HDMI output, and the standard P4P requires an optional HDMI output adapter. So if you want to use your iPad and have HDMI you will have to purchase the standard P4P and buy an optional HDMI module.

The P4P+ model (with the built-in screen) includes an HDMI output, and the standard P4P requires an optional HDMI output adapter. So if you want to use your iPad and have HDMI you will have to purchase the standard P4P and buy an optional HDMI module.

That's so aggravating. I've read time and time again that the built-in screen will not run other apps. I need my drone deploy app for a lot of my work but also need HDMI for other applications. Any idea if the HDMI module that was made for earlier models will work?

That's so aggravating. I've read time and time again that the built-in screen will not run other apps. I need my drone deploy app for a lot of my work but also need HDMI for other applications. Any idea if the HDMI module that was made for earlier models will work?
No one yet knows what the capabilities of the production P4P+ will be, and FWIW third-party apps will not work with the standard P4P either since DJI has not released the SDK yet. They most likely will but the bottom line is that no matter what you read no one knows for sure just yet what will or will not be supported by either model.

My understanding is that the HDMI adapter for the P4 will also work with the P4P standard controller, but I'm not certain.

Last edited:
No one yet knows what the capabilities of the production P4P+ will be, and FWIW third-party apps will not work with the standard P4P either since DJI has not released the SDK yet. They most likely will but the bottom line is that no matter what you read no one knows for sure just yet what will or will not be supported by either model.

My understanding is that the HDMI adapter for the P4 will also work with the P4P standard controller, but I'm not certain.

I sure hope that the the SDK will get released.

I finally got through with DJI tech support and they stated that no Apps except DJI Go will work on the integrated screen. That said, I wont be getting that. Further, they did confirm that the HDMI module from the previous models will work on the new.

Anyone who says they don't need Litchi...hasn't flown with Litchi. If you bought your drone just to "fly around" then you really overpaid for a drone with unreal capabilities and technology that 3rd party apps like Litchi take full advantage of.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Pliummit
The standard answer from DJI is of course going to be that sideloaded apps will not work because I'm sure they have no desire to provide tech support for such things, but given the creativity of the community it remains to be see what the reality will be. There's a huge difference between what's officially supported by DJI and what's really possible, as the existence of 3rd party apps themselves attest.

And if Litchi is that essential then no one should be 'overpaying' for a P4P of any stripe at this point since Litchi hasn't been released for, or even confirmed to work on any P4P model.

Last edited:
I've read somewhere here or at DJI forum, that someone was already reaching out to Litchi and confirmed that they will incl P4P in one of their future releases...so the only question remains if Litchi will be allowed to run on P4P+ (built-in screen)

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic