Compass & IMU Errors on flight this morning

Reaction score
Hi All,

First post here and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction to correct a near crash flight from this morning.

For some context, I have been flying DJI's for a little over 1.5 years now and have had a phantom 3 SE, phantom 3 pro, mavic pro, and just picked up a phantom 4 pro this weekend. I'm part 107 licensed, insured, and am starting a pilot job for a real estate marketing company in one week, hence the p4 pro.

Unboxed the phantom and ran all firmware updates first and then flew the p4 pro yesterday afternoon, where it performed fine other than having some glitchiness and latency issues to the video feed and recorded video. Light was getting low, so I packed it up for the day.

This morning, to hopefully correct any video stuttering, I formatted the sd card upon start up and then performed a compass calibration since its' location looked off on the map from yesterday. Flew around my house for a few minutes and then noticed the glitchy video feed again, mainly while recording. Annoying, but a problem I could figure out with some more flights. I then switched it into S mode to get a feel for the difference from P and ATTI, and things got weird. It started veering away QUICK and any control input was limited. It seemed like a crash was imminent, but then everything stabilized and I was able to bring it home and land.

Looked at the warning logs on the app and this one caught my attention:
"In Flight, working IMU encounters heading exception,please switch to atti mode if craft behave abnormally; Speed Error"

Ive included the flight log below and the errors start at 14 min 26 sec.
DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Any help would be appreciated greatly! Thanks!

Don't calibrate unless the app requests it. Sounds like a bad calibration.
Thank you. I've read conflicting information on whether to calibrate after firmware updates or not. Should I attempt to recalibrate it or just reset to factory firmware and then re-update?

Take it to a different location, power it up and let it acquire a decent number of satellites, say a dozen or more. Make sure you have not placed the aircraft on anything metal or anything that may have rebar in it. You can use the case if you want. Check the heading indicator on the map and verify it is accurate. If it is and there are no other anomalies in the aircraft status page, you can take off and hover, if all is stable, go for a short flight.

I would only reset if you get additional errors.

Take it to a different location, power it up and let it acquire a decent number of satellites, say a dozen or more. Make sure you have not placed the aircraft on anything metal or anything that may have rebar in it. You can use the case if you want. Check the heading indicator on the map and verify it is accurate. If it is and there are no other anomalies in the aircraft status page, you can take off and hover, if all is stable, go for a short flight.

I would only reset if you get additional errors.

Thanks for the response. Followed everything and it acquired 15 satellites. Took off and hovered several feet off the ground and within two minutes it said there was a weak GPS signal, while still connected to 15, as well as more compass and IMU errors.

Thanks for the response. Followed everything and it acquired 15 satellites. Took off and hovered several feet off the ground and within two minutes it said there was a weak GPS signal, while still connected to 15, as well as more compass and IMU errors.
Ok. Try to reset and reload the firmware. If it still gives errors, you may need to degauss the compass. If it is a brand new unit, perhaps just send it back.

Actually, probably no point in degaussing the compass considering the GPS errors. try the firmware reload and if that doesn't work, send it back.
Timinator, thank you for your help today. After resetting everything to factory defaults and updating the firmware again, the same thing was happening. Luckily, I purchased it from a local drone shop and they we were able to repeat the problem. They concluded it was a faulty IMU and exchanged it on the spot.

Thanks again!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.