Compass Error whilst in Flight

Reaction score
I have a Phantom 3 Pro, I fly regularly but since updating the Go App I have been getting compass errors whilst in flight so I bring it back and land - so I am a little nervous about flying at the moment. I fly with iPhone 5s with all the latest firmware updates (including iOS 10.0.02). I have done IMU and Gimble calibrations. I go to to an open space and compass calibrate the aircraft. I have not had any crashes and I look after my equipment fastidiously. Can anybody throw any light on my problem please.

Anyone will get nervous to see compass errors. Off late we have seen compass errors or auto switching to ATTI mode and back. These are very serious errors, we can't fly if we keep getting these errors as we then have chances of losing our aircraft. At this moment no definite clue is known.

I don't yet see such issues and I have the latest updates on iOS as well from DJI.

I can only suggest to carefully calibrate your aircraft at open field with no magnetic material around.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Anyone will get nervous to see compass errors. Off late we have seen compass errors or auto switching to ATTI mode and back. These are very serious errors, we can't fly if we keep getting these errors as we then have chances of losing our aircraft. At this moment no definite clue is known.

I don't yet see such issues and I have the latest updates on iOS as well from DJI.

I can only suggest to carefully calibrate your aircraft at open field with no magnetic material around.

Thanks Alokbhargava, I follow you and value your opinions, but could I ask you whether if I re-downloaded the DJI aircraft and R/C firmware that might resolve the issue?

You can't reinstall unless you downgrade to the immediate lower version. Check if that's possible for you. Secondly be careful in installing these FWs as you got to follow sequences. You need to ensure RC and AC are not connected together while updating.

The easiest thing that you could do is to reinstall DJI Go App and then try with good calibrations at site. Don't be in hurry to get the results. Take your own time and move systematically.

Of late we have seen compass errors or auto switching to ATTI mode and back. These are very serious errors, we can't fly if we keep getting these errors as we then have chances of losing our aircraft. At this moment no definite clue is known.
I agree with Alok. Suddenly we are seeing an increase in reports of people getting compass errors where they haven't in the past and that have no clear explanation. It seems like we see one reported every other day now. Since compass issues are so serious, we'd like to be able to find something common in all of these sudden reports.

A few days ago, @BudWalker was analyzing the flight record from one such "compass error" flight. He saw no clear reason for the errors and speculated that recent firmware may be more sensitive which results in more false positives.

Compass Errors _ All flights _ calibrated many times?

Why does the DJI Phantom 3 Compass Hardware Fail?

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe and Ken Nash
You can't reinstall unless you downgrade to the immediate lower version. Check if that's possible for you. Secondly be careful in installing these FWs as you got to follow sequences. You need to ensure RC and AC are not connected together while updating.

The easiest thing that you could do is to reinstall DJI Go App and then try with good calibrations at site. Don't be in hurry to get the results. Take your own time and move systematically.

Thank you, I shall download the App first tomorrow morning.

I agree with Alok. Suddenly we are seeing an increase in reports of people getting compass errors where they haven't in the past and that have no clear explanation. It seems like we see one reported every other day now.

A few days ago, @BudWalker was analyzing the flight record from one such "compass error" flight. He saw no clear reason for the errors and speculated that recent firmware may be more sensitive which results in more false positives.
Thank you for your reply, your input is very much appreciated.

I agree with Alok. Suddenly we are seeing an increase in reports of people getting compass errors where they haven't in the past and that have no clear explanation. It seems like we see one reported every other day now.

I travelled all the way to Hawaii from California and didn't re-calibrate my aircraft but could fly it with absolutely no issues.

I travelled all the way to Hawaii from California and didn't re-calibrate my aircraft but could fly it with absolutely no issues.

Yes, I have seen your posts on that in several of these recent "compass" threads. I'm with you on that one. I rarely calibrate my compass. I don't even remember when I calibrated it last.

Hi O S O, your name gets changed to a smiley by this forum SW. Keep smiling.

Another question for you two respected members. Is there not a way to format the firmware and then re-install the latest and secondly is it possible to over re-calibrate the aircraft compass - I mean by that when you take off from different locations I got into the good or bad habit of doing that.

Hi O S O, your name gets changed to a smiley by this forum SW. Keep smiling.

Wow no kidding? I had no idea that happened. :)

I do normally try to smile and be nice to people here and in real life. It's hard today though. My son (age 20) was in a serious motorcycle accident yesterday in LA. He was in surgery for many hours getting his femur and pelvis repaired with plates and screws. Sorry for the off topic sharing, it's just weighing heavily on me today.

I'm sure we all wish your son well and a full recovery, being a Dad is always a worry when they go out in car or on a bike.

Reactions: tominrom and Oso

I do normally try to smile and be nice to people here and in real life. It's hard today though. My son (age 20) was in a serious motorcycle accident yesterday in LA. He was in surgery for many hours getting his femur and pelvis repaired with plates and screws. Sorry for the off topic sharing, it's just weighing heavily on me today.

Sorry to hear this. Wish him a speedy recovery.

Reactions: Oso
is it possible to over re-calibrate the aircraft compass - I mean by that when you take off from different locations I got into the good or bad habit of doing that.

If you haven't seen this post yet, it's a great overview of the compass and calibrating:
Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer

My thoughts are that once I have a successful calibration in a known good (not magnetically influenced) area, I don't then recalibrate. Like I said earlier, I don't even remember the last time I calibrated.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe

Hope your Son has a speedy recovery! I was involved in motorcycle drag racing for just over 35yrs. I've been part of several situations from it....and now have a much different hobby.

Very very sorry and sad to learn about your son. Wish him a speedy and full recovery. We all pray for his good health.

I had a sudden compass error when my P3 was 700M away and 100M up.

No idea why but when I brought it back it cleared just before I landed.

Let's write to DJI tech and find out different situations under which compass error is generated. That might give clue to new emerging concerns.

I concur.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic