Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Compass Calibration

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Charger69, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Charger69

Has anyone had difficulties in calibrating their compass on p3s drones? If so, do you have a fix or suggestions please.

2. Mark The Droner

Suggestions: Don't have a lot of change in your pockets, or keys or cell phone. Make sure you're not near metal. Hope this helps.

3. Charger69

I’m using my iPhone attached to the controller, however it’s several feet away when I perform the procedure. The compass on the screen appears to be aiming in the right direction. I can fly the drone okay. The manual says you should calibrate when ever you go to a new location. During start up procedures the screen tells you you have a compass error, recalibrate.

4. msinger

Approved Vendor

There's no need to calibrate the compass at each new location. See the Compass Calibration Guide for more details on when you should be calibrating the compass.

In most cases, that error message means the Phantom is near some type of magnetic metal object. Does the error message go away if you lift the Phantom off the ground or move to a different location?

5. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

As mentioned in post #4 and the manual, there should be no need to calibrate the Phantom's compass in normal conditions.
    But if the difficulty you have is that there is a compass error message that won't go away because compass calibration always fails, you probably have a broken of disconnected compass.
    The way to confirm is to go into the Sensors page in the app settings.
    If it shows a number for the compass data, your compass is connected.
    If it shows zero, either one of the fine wires to the compass is broken or the connection to the mainboard is not secured.

6. hit-n-run

The other day i launched from the hood of my truck because of snow on the ground, not good.

7. JazzAir

My question is my deck. (checking spelling)... I've been launching from my deck lately. Getting recal messages more often than before. Nails, braces and screws?

8. Mark The Droner

9. RunningWithScissors

Take the drone to a location in your yard away from your deck, power it up there, and see if you still get a compass error message. That's happened to me if I simply turn mine on in the hatch of my car before I set it down to launch. I shut it down, power it up again away from the car, and it's all good.

JazzAir likes this.
  10. msinger

Approved Vendor

When that message displays, pick up your Phantom and hold it 4+ feet above the deck. Does the message go away? If so, then a magnetic metal source in the deck is interfering with the compass.

JazzAir and Meta4 like this.
  11. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

It doesn't have to be big.
    The magnetic influence depends on size and distance.
    A single nail can do it if it's close enough to the compass

12. Thermographer

For what it is worth, I have a P3S that I have never calibrated the compass.

13. JazzAir

That was it Sizz. Took a close look at what I've been doing since launching from deck. Meta hit it too. I was placing my bird down on the deck. Just over the top of a row of screws. That left the gimbal a half inch above one easily. Got my lazy asp off the deck and into the yard and got a Roger that from the lady that's in the thing when I recalibrated. Haven't heard her say that in a couple days. Thanks gang. Singer? Still owe you one.

ianzone likes this.