Compass Calibration

Reaction score
Has anyone had difficulties in calibrating their compass on p3s drones? If so, do you have a fix or suggestions please.

Suggestions: Don't have a lot of change in your pockets, or keys or cell phone. Make sure you're not near metal. Hope this helps.

Suggestions: Don't have a lot of change in your pockets, or keys or cell phone. Make sure you're not near metal. Hope this helps.

I’m using my iPhone attached to the controller, however it’s several feet away when I perform the procedure. The compass on the screen appears to be aiming in the right direction. I can fly the drone okay. The manual says you should calibrate when ever you go to a new location. During start up procedures the screen tells you you have a compass error, recalibrate.

The manual says you should calibrate when ever you go to a new location.
There's no need to calibrate the compass at each new location. See the Compass Calibration Guide for more details on when you should be calibrating the compass.

During start up procedures the screen tells you you have a compass error, recalibrate.
In most cases, that error message means the Phantom is near some type of magnetic metal object. Does the error message go away if you lift the Phantom off the ground or move to a different location?

Has anyone had difficulties in calibrating their compass on p3s drones? If so, do you have a fix or suggestions please.
As mentioned in post #4 and the manual, there should be no need to calibrate the Phantom's compass in normal conditions.
But if the difficulty you have is that there is a compass error message that won't go away because compass calibration always fails, you probably have a broken of disconnected compass.
The way to confirm is to go into the Sensors page in the app settings.
If it shows a number for the compass data, your compass is connected.
If it shows zero, either one of the fine wires to the compass is broken or the connection to the mainboard is not secured.

The other day i launched from the hood of my truck because of snow on the ground, not good.

The other day i launched from the hood of my truck because of snow on the ground, not good.

My question is my deck. (checking spelling)... I've been launching from my deck lately. Getting recal messages more often than before. Nails, braces and screws?

Take the drone to a location in your yard away from your deck, power it up there, and see if you still get a compass error message. That's happened to me if I simply turn mine on in the hatch of my car before I set it down to launch. I shut it down, power it up again away from the car, and it's all good.

Reactions: JazzAir
I've been launching from my deck lately. Getting recal messages more often than before. Nails, braces and screws?
When that message displays, pick up your Phantom and hold it 4+ feet above the deck. Does the message go away? If so, then a magnetic metal source in the deck is interfering with the compass.

Reactions: JazzAir and Meta4
Take the drone to a location in your yard away from your deck, power it up there, and see if you still get a compass error message. That's happened to me if I simply turn mine on in the hatch of my car before I set it down to launch. I shut it down, power it up again away from the car, and it's all good.

That was it Sizz. Took a close look at what I've been doing since launching from deck. Meta hit it too. I was placing my bird down on the deck. Just over the top of a row of screws. That left the gimbal a half inch above one easily. Got my lazy asp off the deck and into the yard and got a Roger that from the lady that's in the thing when I recalibrated. Haven't heard her say that in a couple days. Thanks gang. Singer? Still owe you one.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31