B4UFLY

• Thread starter Deleted member 130213
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 130213

Buk Buk Buk Ba-Gawk!

I hope everyone is enjoying flight time, even though it is cold out (at least your batteries will stay cool).
I am new to drones (so forgive me if this is a stupid question). I have been practicing flight control and learning all the settings for roughly 3 weeks on my DJI Avata. I have also been reading over the FAA rules for drones and just getting to know different apps for drones.

QUESTION: Does anyone use the B4UFLY app and is it just a courtesy to click "Notify & Fly" or a requirement? Is there a better app (that's free)?

Thank you for your time.

I've been using 'Aloft' (formerly KittyHawk) for my LAANC approvals. Great format, plus if you message them with a question or concern, they will get back to you quickly. Check it out.....and yep, it's free.

The only time I "notify" is when in need LAANC authorization. Otherwise, I just fly and enjoy.

I've been using 'Aloft' (formerly KittyHawk) for my LAANC approvals. Great format, plus if you message them with a question or concern, they will get back to you quickly. Check it out.....and yep, it's free.
Thank you, sir, for responding. I will check out that app.
Have a blessed day.

Aloft now has a new name of Air Control. Both Air Control and B4UFLY are products of Aloft. They are essentially the same, but B4UFLY does not have the ability to request LAANC clearances. So like @captainmilehigh I only use Air Control.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Aloft now has a new name of Air Control. Both Air Control and B4UFLY are products of Aloft. They are essentially the same, but B4UFLY does not have the ability to request LAANC clearances. So like @captainmilehigh I only use Air Control.
Thank you for your response. I appreciate that you contributed.

After reading the suggestion from @captainmilehigh, I went to the Google Play Store and entered "Aloft", and 3 apps showed up.

"Aloft Air Control"
"Aloft Air Aware"
"B4UFLY by Aloft"

I installed the "Air Control" and "Air Aware" apps to review them. "Aloft Air Aware" and "B4UFLY" are identical apps.

It is the "Aloft Air Control" that has the LAANC request ability (as you had stated). That is the one I will keep, though I don't understand the LAANC request.
I went to https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/laanc to learn about it.

Have a blessed day.

Thank you for your response. I appreciate that you contributed.

After reading the suggestion from @captainmilehigh, I went to the Google Play Store and entered "Aloft", and 3 apps showed up.

"Aloft Air Control"
"Aloft Air Aware"
"B4UFLY by Aloft"

I installed the "Air Control" and "Air Aware" apps to review them. "Aloft Air Aware" and "B4UFLY" are identical apps.

It is the "Aloft Air Control" that has the LAANC request ability (as you had stated). That is the one I will keep, though I don't understand the LAANC request.
I went to https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/laanc to learn about it.

Have a blessed day.
You will only need to submit LAANC requests if you fly in Class B, C, D, or Surface E airspace. They will be denoted in the app by the shaded circles you see in the app like the areas east of Douglasville.

If you zoom out on the map and place a marker inside one of those circles it will bring up a menu that lists items for your attention. When you click on an item it will let you know if you need to submit for LAANC. The in app process is pretty self explanatory.

You will only need to submit LAANC requests if you fly in Class B, C, D, or Surface E airspace. They will be denoted in the app by the shaded circles you see in the app like the areas east of Douglasville.

If you zoom out on the map and place a marker inside one of those circles it will bring up a menu that lists items for your attention. When you click on an item it will let you know if you need to submit for LAANC. The in app process is pretty self explanatory.
Thank you. I appreciate the explanation.
I found out after looking into the LAANC request that it applies to those who hold a license. Because I do not have a license, if I submitted a LAANC request I would be denied. If I am mistaken please correct me.
Again, thank you.

Thank you. I appreciate the explanation.
I found out after looking into the LAANC request that it applies to those who hold a license. Because I do not have a license, if I submitted a LAANC request I would be denied. If I am mistaken please correct me.
Again, thank you.
Those flying under the Exception for Recreation §44809 are also able to submit LAANC requests. Recreational pilots only need to register if their aircraft weighs 250 grams (0.55 lbs) or more. You do not have to be registered to submit a LAANC request for a <250g aircraft. You do however need to take the TRUST test to be legal as a Recreational Pilot.

There are many places to take the TRUST, but I recommend Pilot Institute that is an Approved Vendor for our forums and very active company in the drone community for safety and promoting more responsible freedom for drone use. Here is their link to the TRUST FAA TRUST Online Portal for Recreational Drone Operators - Pilot Institute

Those flying under the Exception for Recreation §44809 are also able to submit LAANC requests. Recreational pilots only need to register if their aircraft weighs 250 grams (0.55 lbs) or more. You do not have to be registered to submit a LAANC request for a <250g aircraft. You do however need to take the TRUST test to be legal as a Recreational Pilot.

There are many places to take the TRUST, but I recommend Pilot Institute that is an Approved Vendor for our forums and very active company in the drone community for safety and promoting more responsible freedom for drone use. Here is their link to the TRUST FAA TRUST Online Portal for Recreational Drone Operators - Pilot Institute
Thank you for responding. I appreciate the clarification.
I did take the TRUST test. I passed on my first attempt (shhh... don't tell me ego that everyone passes, he thinks he's brilliant). 🤣

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl