Compass calibration problem..

Reaction score
I have a Phantom 2 and have had it since early 2014. Flown hundreds of flights with it and it has always performed perfectly. Mine is in NAZA mode.

This weekend, I was flying from an overlook over a huge valley of trees for a while and when i brought it back, I noticed the rear LEDs (which normally flash green with good gps) were solid RED. I've never seen that before. The phantom itself did not seem to be acting weird but I brought it to land to be safe. A few minutes later I lifted it off with a new battery and after a while it did the same thing.

Since then, I have tried countless times to recalibrate my compass (rotating level clockwise, then clockwise again with nose down) and each time I get rapid flashing red lights. I switch back to Phantom mode in the assistant software and tried re-calibrating and same thing (only it's rapid yellow/red/yellow/red in phantom mode). I did a advanced IMU calibration in the assistant software and it did not help. I also checked my compass mod values and, from what I've read online they seem to be in the correct range.

Again, the phantom itself seems to have flown fine...but i'm scared to now.

Any suggestions? Since I've had my phantom I've recalibrated multiple times and have never had this problem.
Please help!!

-Michael

Maybe your batteries are too old and/or it was too cold for them. I have no idea whether the P2 has a battery life indicator in the Go app, but I would suggest that's worth looking at. On the P3, both the battery voltage and number of recharges are taken into account to bring up warnings in the app and on the bird, so it may be the same on yours. I'm really just guessing here, maybe one of the forum gurus will come to your rescue,,

I have a Phantom 2 and have had it since early 2014. Flown hundreds of flights with it and it has always performed perfectly. Mine is in NAZA mode.

This weekend, I was flying from an overlook over a huge valley of trees for a while and when i brought it back, I noticed the rear LEDs (which normally flash green with good gps) were solid RED. I've never seen that before. The phantom itself did not seem to be acting weird but I brought it to land to be safe. A few minutes later I lifted it off with a new battery and after a while it did the same thing.

Since then, I have tried countless times to recalibrate my compass (rotating level clockwise, then clockwise again with nose down) and each time I get rapid flashing red lights. I switch back to Phantom mode in the assistant software and tried re-calibrating and same thing (only it's rapid yellow/red/yellow/red in phantom mode). I did a advanced IMU calibration in the assistant software and it did not help. I also checked my compass mod values and, from what I've read online they seem to be in the correct range.

Again, the phantom itself seems to have flown fine...but i'm scared to now.

Any suggestions? Since I've had my phantom I've recalibrated multiple times and have never had this problem.
Please help!!

-Michael

I always thought you had to calibrate anti clockwise ??

I always thought you had to calibrate anti clockwise ??

As mentioned by Alex check the condition of you batteries in your P2's software as in the following photo.

It does not matter in which direction you calibrate the compass.

You want to check those current levels. As you can see the first photo will not keep it in the air
Barttery #2 after charging.jpg
New Battery Screenshot.jpg

Maybe your batteries are too old and/or it was too cold for them. I have no idea whether the P2 has a battery life indicator in the Go app, but I would suggest that's worth looking at. On the P3, both the battery voltage and number of recharges are taken into account to bring up warnings in the app and on the bird, so it may be the same on yours. I'm really just guessing here, maybe one of the forum gurus will come to your rescue,,
Would bad batteries cause red flashing after trying to calibrate?

Would bad batteries cause red flashing after trying to calibrate?

If the LED's are flashing red after a compass calibration then you are doing it incorrectly.

Calibrating the IMU or compass has nothing to do with the rear LED's flashing red shortly after takeoff but weak or bad batteries sure will. You should use your P2 software to check your batteries after charging them and check the current reading that is why I posted those photos. All battery operated items operate on current not voltage. Look at the posted it above and check yours.

I had that happen to me once. I had to de magnetize my compass with a magnet then do a compass re calibration and that did the trick.

On another one that I had, it was the led indicator that went bad and had to be changed. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I had that happen to me once. I had to de magnetize my compass with a magnet then do a compass re calibration and that did the trick.

On another one that I had, it was the led indicator that went bad and had to be changed. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
How exactly would one go about doing this Demagnetize process on a phantom 2? I am getting fast flashing red leds after doing the vertical rotation part of the calibration.

How exactly would one go about doing this Demagnetize process on a phantom 2? I am getting fast flashing red leds after doing the vertical rotation part of the calibration.

Watch this video before doing anything.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Then connect the P2 to its assistant software and check the advanced IMU settings.

Reactions: FunVee
Watch this video before doing anything.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Then connect the P2 to its assistant software and check the advanced IMU settings.

Thanks, that helped immensely... I was trying to degauss the wrong thing... I thought the black thing was the compass on the p2 and not the little white thing that says compass on it ... Doh!

Thanks again

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic