Compass Calibration fail

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a new P3 and had a great first flight. I've read the manual, watched the tutorials etc. I've been flying RC heli's for many years. Had an odd thing happen, I went out, the next day, and tried to do a compass calibration (probably not required) and it failed. Now I cannot get my bird to calibrate at all. I've tried all around the property (I live in a rural are not really susceptible to EMI), I drove about 5 miles to an abandoned orchard and still no luck. When I calibrate horizontally I get a solid green LED, when I do the vertical it goes to flashing red.... I'm pretty frustrated.

Any creative ideas?

Running the latest FW 1.19.

thanks,
Lesn8r

Counterclockwise??

Have you done an IMU calibration since the failure?

I'm not sure if it that's the issue but are you going too slowly?

I'm not sure if it that's the issue but are you going too slowly?
Hmmm, I don't know. I did slow down when things started failing. Perhaps I'll try speeding it up. Hopefully the rain stays away tomorrow!

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have a new P3 and had a great first flight. I've read the manual, watched the tutorials etc. I've been flying RC heli's for many years. Had an odd thing happen, I went out, the next day, and tried to do a compass calibration (probably not required) and it failed. Now I cannot get my bird to calibrate at all. I've tried all around the property (I live in a rural are not really susceptible to EMI), I drove about 5 miles to an abandoned orchard and still no luck. When I calibrate horizontally I get a solid green LED, when I do the vertical it goes to flashing red.... I'm pretty frustrated.

Any creative ideas?

Running the latest FW 1.19.

thanks,
Lesn8r
Just had same problem but thanks to some on forum it's sorted. When you do your 360 keep going a bit further than normal on both horizontal and vertical I was at 360 plus around 90 and successful first time. Hope this helped you to.

Reactions: snowghost
Just had same problem but thanks to some on forum it's sorted. When you do your 360 keep going a bit further than normal on both horizontal and vertical I was at 360 plus around 90 and successful first time. Hope this helped you to.

Wow, that is good to know.

Reactions: Ghanz
Not had an issue since the post in May.

Did you fix the compass problem.I am having the same issue

Check youtube for a tutorial, or the app's library may have it as well. Several of us calibrate the aircrafts compass prior to each flight and or battery change.

I know how the calibration is performed, but it fails when I do it. This all started after a "critical" landing. I was able to recover aircraft with no damage, other than a rubber damper came off gimbal. I have done imu calibration and still nothing.

For those who have asked; I had to return the unit. I worked with the vendor and they replaced my bird. I've had no issues with the new bird.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic