Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer

I'm sure somewhere in this imformative thread someone has asked that unless you get a compass notification in the Go App you should not need to perform a compass calibration. That is what my manual states for my P4P. Should I perform it to just be extra cautious because I have traveled more than 700 miles and I have updated the fw twice and the bird has flown flawlessly with no compass calibrations notifications? Sorry if this has been addressed.(DB)
Should you do something that isn't mentioned anywhere in the manual ... just be extra cautious?
No .. it would be more cautious to just leave everything as it is.
Travelling any distance or updating firmware has no effect on your compass.
Unnecessarily recalibrating it won't make anything safer but it could have the potential to cause problems.

Found these links that may be useful as far as forecasts & GM Storms
For all the predictions of solar flares causing problems, we've never seen solar activity have any effect on drone flying.
By the time it gets to a level that would affect your flying, that will be the least of your concerns.

Reactions: station five
Should you do something that isn't mentioned anywhere in the manual ... just be extra cautious?
Unnecessarily recalibrating it won't make anything safer but it could have the potential to cause problems.

Thanks Meta4! That was my understanding and until I get a compass error in the app I will leave it alone.(DB)

The Compass and its errors are one of the most discussed and misunderstood items on the DJI machines. The posts on various forums and flight-line gossip that gets repeated perpetuating the mistakes is unbelievable.

First : On first receiving your nice new DJI - please go through all calibrations properly before flying. I know its a pain in the **** but believe me - its worth it.

Calibration - lets remove one error in advice ... The IMU calibration may not directly have compass BUT it has a referencing part - look at the IMU calibration page bottom set of figures ... Therefore I suggest ... note SUGGEST ... that when doing IMU - do this in same place as you would do your compass calibration ... CLEAR OF ALL INFLUENCES that may interfere with Compass and its referencing in the IMU. Of course thousands will laugh at that and say ... no way Hose ... we've been doing IMU in the garage ... in the house ... on Aunt Fanny's knee ! Fine ... carry on.

OK we move onto compass calibration - why do we do it ?

Its quite simple really but based on some serious geomagnetic stuff that really would take up page after page of data. To give an example VARIATION (sorry I'm International and all the 50 odd years I've been with compasses Variation is the word ... Declination is the Celestial equivalent of Latitude) ... anyway Variation is the magnetic lines of flux of the earth and their offset from Pole. The Magnetic North lies in Alaska west of the North Pole and is slowly moving ever westward. The Geomag lines are distorted on the earth as well giving rise to a non-uniform setup.

Dcolourful.jpg

The picture gives a good idea of the difficulty faced with it. ie Change of Variation of up to 25 degrees between Florida and California coasts.

OK that's illustrated.

Next we have DEVIATION - the effects of on-board items that deflect compasses ... now herein lies another error made by people. They think that this is just a fixed figure and that's it. Not quite true. The DEVIATION may be fixed if we take the item and place in a totally non-magnetic environment - but sadly we live on the earths surface and orientation of that DEviation causes varying effect.

OK ... now that we have two basic items noted ... Earths Variation and Items Deviation ... how do they affect us ?

This is where vectors come into it .... similar to two forces meeting at varying angles - the sum of which changes with angles.

DJI advise us to calibrate in VERTICAL and HORIZONTAL orientation. This is actually a good way to arrive at the different results of the vector addition of the VARIATION and DEVIATION and so to calibrate ... Remember we are flying a model that acts in 3 dimension. As you rotate the model - the results of the two lines of flux interact and produce the necessary numbers for the calibration. Those numbers alter as you rotate. The amount and direction of change tells the compass enough to correct sufficient for our purposes.

Where does GPS come into it as some suggest ? It doesn't. GPS is only a Position indicating system. It has no way to determine orientation in any form. Any solutions provided by GPS are the result of consecutive positions and the calculations of movement from one to other. Speed, direction, CTS, DTG .. these are all derived from repeated position fixing and averaging. To get our model to start RTH for example - needs first model position and the compass to say what is the heading at that moment. The calculations are then made to turn the model and point it in correct direction based on Compass heading ... with direction confirmed by repeated GPS position information.

It has been suggested that GPS provides VARIATION data to the model and that with DEVIATION corrects the compass ............ Poppycock is all I can say. Go back and read what happens when a body orientates within a magnetic environment ... The Chip used in the model may have Geomag data programmed in ... fine - but the GPS can only tell where you are ... model can pick up relevant data from the chip ... but what to do with it ? Come in the calibration routine we do.

OK ... when to do Compass Calibration ?

a) When its new and you haven't flown it before.
b) Update of FW and / or components of the model.
c) Addition of items such as electronic tracking device etc. that can influence models DEVIATION.
d) Moving significant distance from last calibration location - note my quote of 25 degrees change Florida to California.

When not to do Compass Calibration ?

a) On a boat dock - they have metal in the structure
b) On a boat - they have engines / various magnetic items all over
c) Next to cars / metal structures
d) In your house driveway - usually there are pipes and cables running under
e) Mall Car parks - same as house driveway
f) Each time you go flying !! This is the most common mistake of all ... Basically once you have a good calibration - LEAVE IT ALONE !!

Finally : I know I have trodden on a few sensitive 'toes' with this post and I know that various will not agree with me. That's their choice and I just hope that they do not have any incidents or accidents as a result.
I have posted in all fair and reasonable manner based on many years of Compass knowledge from a professional career. The Laws of Physics apply and cannot be avoided. Even with todays MEMS based Compasses as DJI and many others use.

People will make up their own minds and decide for themselves. Mine was made up by Professors at Plymouth College back in the 1970's and the 17 years navigating ships around the world. I have been active in RC hobby since about 6yrs old ... and seen the changes and development from mechanical gyros to todays sophisticated solid state MEMs devices. Compasses, Flight Controllers ...

I do not know or pretend to know all the answers and am learning new everyday ... but one thing I am sure of - Magnetism and Compasses do not change whether needle, digital, Fluxgate or any other that relies on magnetic influence.

Nigel

West of the north pole? Reminds me of a polar bear riddle I heard when I was a kid...

So it may .... but still true.

Reminds me - time to swing my boat compass again - IF I can get the **** engine started !! Starter has jammed and the old 'give it a blow with a hammer' hasn't freed it !

Nigel

Not enough swinging room !! You know what its like on boats ... how they squeeze it in - heavens knows !!

Its a sailboat with Perkins engine down in the 'bowels' ... its actually a London Taxi engine !! The old 4-107 ...

Nigel

Compass calibration provides the error data (a non-polar response) used to compensate for the Hard and Soft iron distortions from on-board materials. Nothing more.
The non-polar response is then used to compute an error matrice that is subtracted from the raw data to create a more uniform polar response. End of calibration.

The issues of Declination/Variation is a difference between magnetic North and Geographic/Polar North and are looked up based on GPS location and applied after calibration. In earlier ‘stalk’ mounted designs you were instructed to rotate the stalk (and thus the magnetometer) to compensate for local Dec. manually until the craft flew straight. Now imbedded processors do it for you via look-up tables.
Early P2 pilots recall crudely rotating the gear mounted magnetometer to achieve correction until DJI resolved it. (Operation Drunken Sparrow)

Deviation is the difference between Magnetic North and what the Magnetometer is indicating and is caused by local items external to the a/c and is what generally produces the warnings and errors in the apps and is typically corrected by moving your location or avoiding flying in those areas which it is reported.

Deviation is actually the magnetic error on the boat / car / RV / item the compass is fitted to. It is not difference of Mag N and the compass.

ALL compasses that use magnetics have the absolute error rules :

Correction based on Compass Heading and DEVIATION listed for that heading when applied changes Compass Heading to give Magnetic Heading.
Application of Earths Variation corrected for 'drift' since tabulated applied to Magnetic Heading gives True Heading

Based on :
Difference of True North and Magnetic North is VARIATION.
Errors based on magnetic items fixed on the vehicle that compass is fitted to is DEVIATION.

Any LOCAL effects due to iron ore / pipelines / cables / other items specific to a small area are designated LOCAL MAGNETIC ANOMALIES..... they are not Deviation.

Back to Vertical and Horizontal rotation to calibrate - is due to the interaction of AC's own Deviation effects with Earths Variation and local errors to ascertain a resultant calibrated compass. Fact.

It is also the reason that calibrating in poor environment such as on a Boat Dock ... can lead to flight errors once AC moves away and influence of that local anomaly is lost. When you calibrated on that dock - AC assumed that the magnetic influence it saw in addition to its own deviation was Variation... which it is not. Its Variation PLUS anomaly.

Nigel

The terms are often interchanged in poor form.
Deviation is the diff between mag north and displayed north due to the boat, car, etc. As you must know magnets are often used to compensate for this deviation on ships.

Declination is more rigidly understood as mag vs polar.

Not going to argue anymore in terms as I said they are loosely used

Reactions: BudWalker
Calibration - lets remove one error in advice ... The IMU calibration may not directly have compass BUT it has a referencing part - look at the IMU calibration page bottom set of figures ... Therefore I suggest ... note SUGGEST ... that when doing IMU - do this in same place as you would do your compass calibration ... CLEAR OF ALL INFLUENCES that may interfere with Compass and its referencing in the IMU. Of course thousands will laugh at that and say ... no way Hose ... we've been doing IMU in the garage ... in the house ... on Aunt Fanny's knee ! Fine ... carry on.
I know you're only making a suggestion. But, I gotta ask why do you think that an IMU calibration references the compass?
It has been suggested that GPS provides VARIATION data to the model and that with DEVIATION corrects the compass ............ Poppycock is all I can say. Go back and read what happens when a body orientates within a magnetic environment ... The Chip used in the model may have Geomag data programmed in ... fine - but the GPS can only tell where you are ... model can pick up relevant data from the chip ... but what to do with it ? Come in the calibration routine we do.
You're right, the GPS hardware can not measure VARIATION. But, no one has claimed that it does. What does happen is that the GPS hardware is used to determine the location and then that location is used by an algorithm to determine the geoDeclination.

I can't quite tell from your discourse but I think you're claiming that the compass calibration determines VARIATION and then compensates for it. This isn't correct if I understand your definition of VARIATION. The compass calibration does not, and, in fact, can not determine and compensate for magnetic anomalies that don't rotate with the AC. It's mathematically impossible. The idea that it's possible for a calibration to compensate for the effects of a say car or building is simply not possible.

.... In earlier ‘stalk’ mounted designs you were instructed to rotate the stalk (and thus the magnetometer) to compensate for local Dec. manually until the craft flew straight. Now imbedded processors do it for you via look-up tables.
Early P2 pilots recall crudely rotating the gear mounted magnetometer to achieve correction until DJI resolved it. (Operation Drunken Sparrow)
I've asked you this before. But, isn't it possible that the stalk rotation was considered by some to be part of the compass calibration? This then could have resulted in the misconception a calibration compensated for local, but external to the AC, magnetic anomalies.

I've asked you this before. But, isn't it possible that the stalk rotation was considered by some to be part of the compass calibration? This then could have resulted in the misconception a calibration compensated for local, but external to the AC, magnetic anomalies.

Bud,

I’m on a mobile now so links can be cumbersome.

So here goes...
The snippet below come from here:
Install and setup a GPS/Compass Unit for a DJI Naza-M V2

“The arrow on the GPS unit should be pointed at the front of the copter, but its exact direction should be adjusted for magnetic declination (the angle between magnetic north and true north) in your area. The declination slightly changes with area and time and the compass adjustment is necessary for the aircraft to fly straight.”

I know you're only making a suggestion. But, I gotta ask why do you think that an IMU calibration references the compass?

The Compass has a line IN THE IMU sensors page that also gets altered when you do IMU calibration. Go to SENSORS page in the menu and see for yourself. I did not say the Compass directly affects - what I said is references ... that is IMU will read values as well as the other sensors in its workings.

You're right, the GPS hardware can not measure VARIATION. But, no one has claimed that it does. What does happen is that the GPS hardware is used to determine the location and then that location is used by an algorithm to determine the geoDeclination.

That algorithm is as I said an averaged value and calibration will arrive at the composite result derived from the interaction of deviation with variation to have a reasonably correct compass.

I can't quite tell from your discourse but I think you're claiming that the compass calibration determines VARIATION and then compensates for it. This isn't correct if I understand your definition of VARIATION. The compass calibration does not, and, in fact, can not determine and compensate for magnetic anomalies that don't rotate with the AC. It's mathematically impossible. The idea that it's possible for a calibration to compensate for the effects of a say car or building is simply not possible.

No - go back and read again. Calibration by vertical and horizontal rotation causes changes in the flux values sensed during the rotations. As the angle of deviation changes against the variation while being rotated - the total alters. This is detected and used to determine calibration for the various orientations the AC will have during flight.
The correction for anomaly such as a car / magnetic object near to the AC when calibrating DOES affect and create a false calibration. You only have to read the number of cases where an AC has taken off from a Boat Dock / Mall Car Park etc. and as it gains height / distance - Compass Warning / error comes up. If it had not detected the anomaly along with what it is really looking for to calibrate - how would this happen ? A bird didn't suddenly add a magnet to the AC in flight !!

Simply it is impossible to separate the influences that the compass suffers. To the compass they are a combined force and we have to sort as best we can. In comes the calibration. You cannot say that Variation has no effect and Geomag programming is at best a compromise.

Deviation is the diff between mag north and displayed north due to the boat, car, etc. As you must know magnets are often used to compensate for this deviation on ships.

Actually no ... its the difference between Compass heading and Magnetic heading on a specific heading as it changes with heading. Next time on a ship ask the Nav Officer for his Deviation Card.

My Yacht has deviation ranging from 5W in sinusoidal curve through 6E back to 5W as the yacht competes a 360 turn. This is also true on ships / cars / RV's etc. etc. etc.

Just an aside here : More as interesting info for some ... on a ship that loads cargo such as Iron Ore - can you imagine what happens ? In fact some vessels that were regular Iron Ore carriers - they used to be excused the need to fit a Magnetic Compass on the Monkey Island. But that was only a few and the exclusion soon died out. I sailed on a vessel with Kaiser Steel Corp and the vessel had a compass that was in dire need of adjustor. We did it ourselves and when later official adjustor boarded - he had nothing to do !!

Declination is more rigidly understood as mag vs polar.

Its another example of USA inspired thinking ..... Check a navigational chart ... any ... even USA produced ... but lets stick with the Worlds No1 Nautical Chart provider ... UK ... inside the compass rose printed on EVERY CHART are the words : Varn xx deg (xxxx) (xx mins annual).
Meaning VARIATION at this location is xx degrees for year xxxx, with annual change of xx minutes per annum.

OK ?

Nigel

Last edited:
As I said I won’t argue terms especially across international cultures. Nor will I resort to ad hominem when they differ.
Your 5th paragraph says the same thing as my quote above it. Again different terms.

No - go back and read again. Calibration by vertical and horizontal rotation causes changes in the flux values sensed during the rotations. As the angle of deviation changes against the variation while being rotated - the total alters. This is detected and used to determine calibration for the various orientations the AC will have during flight.
Simply it is impossible to separate the influences that the compass suffers. To the compass they are a combined force and we have to sort as best we can. In comes the calibration. You cannot say that Variation has no effect and Geomag programming is at best a compromise.
You're right, magnetic anomalies external to the AC will have an effect on the compass. But, the problem is that the data due to an external anomaly is ambiguous. This means that any attempt at calibrating in the presence of external anomalies will see those effects but that data can not then be used (since it's ambiguous) to compensate for those effects. It still remains that detecting and then compensating for magnetic anomalies external to the AC is impossible.

The correction for anomaly such as a car / magnetic object near to the AC when calibrating DOES affect and create a false calibration. You only have to read the number of cases where an AC has taken off from a Boat Dock / Mall Car Park etc. and as it gains height / distance - Compass Warning / error comes up. If it had not detected the anomaly along with what it is really looking for to calibrate - how would this happen ? A bird didn't suddenly add a magnet to the AC in flight !!
I've looked at several of these types of incidents - literally dozens. By looked at I mean actual data from the one or both flight logs. They were all caused by a launching from a geomagnetically distorted site. None of these incidents were caused by a flawed compass calibration. If interested you could take a look at these example incidents.

Compass error

Looking for Trouble ??

Its another example of USA inspired thinking ..... Check a navigational chart ... any ... even USA produced ... but lets stick with the Worlds No1 Nautical Chart provider ... UK ... inside the compass rose printed on EVERY CHART are the words : Varn xx deg (xxxx) (xx mins annual).
Meaning VARIATION at this location is xx degrees for year xxxx, with annual change of xx minutes per annum.

OK ?

Nigel

I agree with virtually everything that you wrote in that post, although it appears to me that you and N017RW are saying the same thing. I don't understand your last point though. The statement was that declination (variation) is the difference between true north and magnetic north. Are you objecting to the word "declination" or are you trying to make some other point?

As I said I won’t argue terms especially across international cultures. Nor will I resort to ad hominem when they differ.
Your 5th paragraph says the same thing as my quote above it. Again different terms.

Terminology is important to me as its explicit in my work. So it tends to carry over in other things.

Deviation is not a fixed figure for all points that the body the compass is fixed to ... as the body alters direction, the deviation changes. It is why we swing a compass to determine the deviation on all points of direction. All I was doing was saying that it is not just Magnetic N to Compass N. The example of my own yachts deviation curve was given.

At least overall - generally there seems to be agreement.

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl