Compass error

Reaction score
This is the first time this happens but I was flying my bird when the compass error message came up and the yellow lights on the drone, but then it turned back to green and gps back on but can anyone explain what happened what if I couldn't bring it home is that a possibility of it getting lost it didn't turn back to gps mode ? Please help I haven't flown it since I'm thinking just a recalibration on the bird itself. Thank you

A friend had this happen twice, both times in the same location, something in the earth a faulty compass maybe who knows, thing is it's quite possible to fly in non GPS mode, it's called ATTI mode and can be initiated by flicking the PAF switch to A, you get to maintain height but the quad will drift with the wind and of course there is no breaking effect when you let go off the stick. Its a mode all pilots should be familiar with in case of a situation like this.
It wont fly away but Is harder to control unless you have practiced with ATTI mode.

The same thing happened to me today. 5 seconds after liftoff, got a calibrate compass error and the app told me to put in Atti mode. Good advise on practicing with Atti mode on the bird acts a lot different than GPS mode, lucky for me I was only 20'-25' away. I was taking off over a lake (from a boat), did this have something to do with the error I got? I sure enjoy reading all these posts, I'm learning every day.

Reactions: nixonO4
The incidents being referred to in this thread are probably due to a launch from a geoMagnetically distorted site. Here is a post that explains this.

Looking for Trouble ??

The .DAT file be required to analyze this type of incident. For the P3 look here to see how to retrieve the .DAT. It will be large and needs to be DropBoxed or GoogleDrived. Then post the link here.

I sure enjoy reading all these posts, I'm learning every day.
If you are interested, click here for some tips that I often share with new P3A/P3P owners.

Cheers!

Reactions: Dan C and Numone
The incidents being referred to in this thread are probably due to a launch from a geoMagnetically distorted site. Here is a post that explains this.

Looking for Trouble ??

The .DAT file be required to analyze this type of incident. For the P3 look here to see how to retrieve the .DAT. It will be large and needs to be DropBoxed or GoogleDrived. Then post the link here.

I hope this is the right file! Thanks for the help.
FLY040.DAT

I hope this is the right file! Thanks for the help.
FLY040.DAT
That doesn't appear to be the right .DAT. No errors and it wasn't launched from a boat. It was launched from here where the yellow "A" appears
upload_2017-8-8_13-1-31.png

Sorry about that, try this one...
FLY039.DAT
A classic example of launching from a geoMagnetically distorted site. At launch magYaw is 78 degrees which was incorrect due to the geoMagnetic distortion. Yaw (now also incorrect) was set to 74 degrees = magYaw + declination. At 2.5 secs the P3 had reached a height of 0.2 meters and Yaw/magYaw began to separate. At 3.75 secs, height 0.5 meters the P3 was clear of the distortion and magYaw was a correct 132 degrees. Yaw continued to be an incorrect 74 degrees. This Yaw/magYaw separation then caused a compass error to be declared. The switch from GPS+ATTI to ATTI came at 12 secs.
upload_2017-8-8_15-15-17.png

If the P3 were hand launched it would have been clear of the distortion which extended to 0.5 meters. One thing you could do before launch is check that the heading indicator in the Go App map display is the same as what you can see visually. In this case it would have been pointing 74 degrees, but you would have seen the P3 was pointing 131 degrees. IMHO this is the single most effective check to prevent launch time fly aways.
triangle.jpg

Last edited:
A classic example of launching from a geoMagnetically distorted site. At launch magYaw is 78 degrees which was incorrect due to the geoMagnetic distortion. Yaw (now also incorrect) was set to 74 degrees = magYaw + declination. At 2.5 secs the P3 had reached a height of 0.2 meters and Yaw/magYaw began to separate. At 3.75 secs, height 0.5 meters the P3 was clear of the distortion and magYaw was a correct 132 degrees. Yaw continued to be an incorrect 74 degrees. This Yaw/magYaw separation then caused a compass error to be declared. The switch from GPS+ATTI to ATTI came at 12 secs.
View attachment 86535

If the P3 were hand launched it would have been clear of the distortion which extended to 0.5 meters. One thing you could do before launch is check that the heading indicator in the Go App map display is the same as what you can see visually. In this case it would have been pointing 74 degrees, but you have seen the P3 was pointing 131 degrees. IMHO this check is the single most effective check to prevent launch time fly aways.
View attachment 86536

Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to look into this for me! The amount of technology these things have is almost scary o_O

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94