Compass cal on iPad?

Reaction score
I don't have a significant number of flights on my P3A but a couple of times when I'm firing things up my iPad wants to do a compass calibration and it is confusing me a little. The iPad does not have any internet connectivity, Yesterday when it did this I had compass errors on the AC and it went from P-GPS to ATTI mode and because of the wind started to drift off. Is there any correlation here? Somewhat PO'd with the AC errors as I just returned one that was having significant compass errors.

I'm firing things up my iPad wants to do a compass calibration
How exactly did your iPad indicate that it wanted you to calibrate its compass?

Well...now that you ask that's a interesting question. My iPhone has a compass app. You have to roll the phone in a circular motion to move this red ball around the screen. When you asked it dawned on me to look for it on my iPad. I can't even find it. Have it on my phone for sure but don't see it on my iPad. Maybe I'm having a brain cramp

I see the same thing on mine occasionally and I just roll the ball around till it goes away .
Can't find it on mine ether w9nl .

Reactions: Falcon900
I sometimes get the request to calibrate compass on my iPad Air....Roll the ball round till it goes.
There isn't a native compass app in the Air, but apparently Maps has a built in compass, so presumably that's what you're calibrating.

iPad compass calibration can be enabled or disabled. Open Settings, choose Privacy, click Location Services and tap System Services (usually very bottom). The compass is part of the motion sensing on your iPad. It is not needed when the iPad is used with your RC to fly your Phantom. compass-ios7-100058236-large.jpg

Reactions: dirkclod
iPad compass calibration can be enabled or disabled. Open Settings, choose Privacy, click Location Services and tap System Services (usually very bottom). The compass is part of the motion sensing on your iPad. It is not needed when the iPad is used with your RC to fly your Phantom.View attachment 69405
Maybe it's useful to have it calibrated to ensure correct map orientation.....just a thought
Thanks for pointing out where it is.

iPad compass calibration can be enabled or disabled. Open Settings, choose Privacy, click Location Services and tap System Services (usually very bottom). The compass is part of the motion sensing on your iPad. It is not needed when the iPad is used with your RC to fly your Phantom.View attachment 69405
I see that's where you can cut it off but also think rocky might have a point . Will have to test that and see ;)

It's better to keep Compass of tablet calibrated in case you use Radar of DJI Go app.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: dirkclod
Yah Iv has this happen to me on my iPad mini when I first set my drone up, it's the exact same calibration that happends when you go into "compass" app on your iPhone or iPad. I just didn't understand why the dji map requested it to be Calibrated and has assumed that the app must talk to the compass on the phone in order or use the map on the dji app. That's what I got out of it.. But I was pissed cuz when I calibrated it I only for halfway around and it took. And I would have liked to at least to all the way around the compass for a good solid calibration.. So does anyone know how to force the app to require a new iPad or iPhone compass calibration?

Also.. How do I get my map to not just be white? It's almost like it isn't reading or loading.. Do I have sometbing turned off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do I get my map to not just be white? It's almost like it isn't reading or loading.. Do I have sometbing turned off?
Tap the white box to make it go full screen then to the right of the compass in the top right tap that and you should see 3 screens .
Standard..Satellite and Hybrid . Tap Satellite then you should see it .

Thank you ! So now it should just load automatically? Or do I need to do something with the map Cache settings.. Cuz right now "cache map in background" is off. So I thought maybe that was why it didn't work.. And there is another setting for (China mainland) which obv I should have that off I assume living in the United States

Yes it will load if you have cell service on your device then if not you need to cache them and do cut off China .

My IPad does the same thing every once in a while. I calibrate everything before every flight anyways just to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Cache maps in the background is useful to have on...if you're travelling to a new flying area, you can load the maps for that area on your home wi-fi before you travel.

Yah I just tried it! My iPad is only wifi not cellular, I went to my parents house which is just right down the road from me, I connected it to their wifi cuz I don't have wifi , and all my maps loaded, I scrolled around the entire area in which I know I fly in and made sure it all loaded well then Backed out and disconnected wifi, went home and all my maps are there. Just awesome dji just awesome :) very smart

Also the compass Calibration like the one pictured above is no doubt for the map.. The phone talks to the app and if you just bring the map up on your phone with and move your phone around the map moves where the phone does so that it's always pointed you in the correct position. This is no doubt why when you first start the dji app why it brings up the compass calibration on your iPhone or iPad. Another smart move dji

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.