Come on in....its a free for all!

Pull_Up said:
LeoS said:
Don't worry about the elitist changing the mind of the helpful ones in a single thread\post.

Worry about the duplications, because those helpful ones may not have all the time and patience in the world to repeat the same answer day after day for weeks on end... then again, there may be enough of them to keep it up and may inspire new members to do the same and keep up the cycle going.

Being serious again for a second... No, really. That is a danger. Either we need someone to adjudicate on stickies, or perhaps the time has come for someone to put together a "New owners start here" locked post with links to the manuals, the firmware, the .apk for side loading android, the now contraband Guinn videos, and all the stuff that we know where to find, but others might not. Trouble is, people being people, if you've just taken your shiny toy out of the box and it looks like you've bricked it trying to update then I'd humbly suggest that in a state of panic or confusion most people would like to ask questions first, and look for their own answers second. Having said that it might cut down on the number of compass calibration and IOC new threads, but maybe not.

Yes, that'll be the fine line that we'll have to cross soon enough; the problem with what we're currently doing is that it's not scalable thus unsustainable.

Btw, we'll probably need to throw Colin's video into a torrent soon to keep them accessible indefinitely :mrgreen:

True enough, if it all goes/is going nasty then they may all get pulled. I don't mind doing a few very simple vids on what is IOC or how to compass dance, for example, but I lack the biceps and perma-tan (and sunny climate) to compete on visuals. It would have to be my kitchen table and my son's Lego (tm) (All rights reserved)(Other building block systems are available) to use as examples. :lol:

Nvr2fst said:
@bigpig

Comprehension is your friend. Read again.

I'm definitely not reading that rant twice. We can agree to disagree though. No hard feelings.
2y9enuba.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pull_Up said:
True enough, if it all goes/is going nasty then they may all get pulled. I don't mind doing a few very simple vids on what is IOC or how to compass dance, for example, but I lack the biceps and perma-tan (and sunny climate) to compete on visuals. It would have to be my kitchen table and my son's Lego (tm) (All rights reserved)(Other building block systems are available) to use as examples. :lol:

lol I'd watch that!
(though I may end up forgetting the Phantom and playing with lego instead afterward)

Ok I have brought this "issue" to the forefront and started the dialogue in my own sarcastic, elitist , American manner. :D

Do with it what you will.....or not. I don't want to be the punching bag no more. Gets a bit nauseating after a while defending a simple premise.

It's been fun.
I will now sit back for the ride.

You always were more of a lover than a fighter.

;)

Nah, stick around. It's still mainly constructive and you're right, you have ignited a debate and that's good. I can see how some people would feel that you were being intimidatory (I think I made that word up, but I'm going to go with it, none of you noticed) but I do think that it's mainly a style thing, not a person thing. I think you yourself said 378 pages back that things we'd say in real life with a sly smile or a certain look don't always translate that way on the screen. But we should all stay well away from genuine personal attacks.

And on that note I have to say that I was, of course, only joking about Nvr and I being partners. I can assure everyone he's all man - the operation was a complete success. :p

Pull_Up said:
LeoS said:
Don't worry about the elitist changing the mind of the helpful ones in a single thread\post.

Worry about the duplications, because those helpful ones may not have all the time and patience in the world to repeat the same answer day after day for weeks on end... then again, there may be enough of them to keep it up and may inspire new members to do the same and keep up the cycle going.

Being serious again for a second... No, really. That is a danger. Either we need someone to adjudicate on stickies, or perhaps the time has come for someone to put together a "New owners start here" locked post with links to the manuals, the firmware, the .apk for side loading android, the now contraband Guinn videos, and all the stuff that we know where to find, but others might not. Trouble is, people being people, if you've just taken your shiny toy out of the box and it looks like you've bricked it trying to update then I'd humbly suggest that in a state of panic or confusion most people would like to ask questions first, and look for their own answers second. Having said that it might cut down on the number of compass calibration and IOC new threads, but maybe not.

I've been trying to organize that for a week or so. I think the "New Owners Start Here" (I can't recall what I first called it, but that's the idea) Sticky is a must. Adam agreed to put your post, BenDrone's post and iDrone's post up as stickies, but he's apparently not had time to deal with any other requests.

I don't think this forum is totally out of control, but it is wobbling a bit... :shock: :shock: :shock:

-slinger

Ok......yes it was a success.....Pull_Up.......err Out.......whatever
Where would I be without a strong sense of humor? :roll: :D

LeoS said:
Pull_Up said:
LeoS said:

Yes, that'll be the fine line that we'll have to cross soon enough; the problem with what we're currently doing is that it's not scalable thus unsustainable.

Btw, we'll probably need to throw Colin's video into a torrent soon to keep them accessible indefinitely :mrgreen:

If you can actually lift the video and not just reference them, it might not be a bad idea to stash them somewhere.

-slinger

More credit to you. Everyone can hand it out, not everyone can hand it out and take it back in equal measure. Just trying to lighten up a thread that was in danger of getting a little close to a line while back that's all - whilst still keeping the discussion going, because I think it's genuinely useful.

@Nvr2fst - You need to relax man. No forum with any reasonable amount of activity will stay perfectly organized and without duplication.

I would argue the negativity expressed in your post is much more harmful to a forum than is dis-organization and duplicate topics.

LeoS said:
gpauk said:
What's the official term for someone who will sell their... whatever.. for Drone parts? :mrgreen:

I believe pronestitution is illegal in all 50 states...

Ah.. It is BUT if you photograph or video the act then you are not paying for sex. You are paying for a performance. That is 1st amendment protected. ;)

So.. Bring a camera along with your drone parts.

gunslinger said:
I don't know. Maybe it's me. As far as the situation in this forum is concerned...

This is free! On the house! No cover charge any time!

In my opinion trashing this forum is akin to complaining about a free three course meal because you found a hair in the caviar. I've gotten an incredible amount of much needed information from this forum and I've tried to give back whenever I could. Trolls? I've had Adam knock out three or four of them in the past few weeks. (Granted... two or three were probably the same twit) If a dipshit bothers you, report him to the moderator, put him on your Foe list and carry on.

I guess this situation is at least marginally covered by a couple of hackneyed old axioms...

1) Lead, follow, or get the fu** out of the way
2) Be part of the solution, not part of the problem

Noobs can be irritating at times, but you have to look back for a second to when YOU were a noob. You didn't spring out of your mommy with all the knowledge on this subject that you now possess. Did you learn all of it the hard way? Did people who've already stubbed their toes and picked up pieces of broken quads teach you which path to take, or not take? A combination of the two?

Forums of this type are formed to allow like minded people share information. There will never, ever, ever be an "effective" SIG (special interest group) forum where all parties are expert in the field. The experienced people here should be here to help out the less experienced and also to gain information that THEY don't have.

We have people here who make their living as photographers. We have some incredibly talented RC pilots. We have some excellent propeller heads (geeks) who thoroughly understand the electronic elements. You might be an expert RC pilot and still be a total photography noob, and vice versa.

This forum is a great pizza. Just pick off the anchovies, toss 'em in the trash and enjoy the meal...

-slinger
I like anchovies

Lagunaman said:
gunslinger said:
I don't know. Maybe it's me. As far as the situation in this forum is concerned...

This is free! On the house! No cover charge any time!

In my opinion trashing this forum is akin to complaining about a free three course meal because you found a hair in the caviar. I've gotten an incredible amount of much needed information from this forum and I've tried to give back whenever I could. Trolls? I've had Adam knock out three or four of them in the past few weeks. (Granted... two or three were probably the same twit) If a dipshit bothers you, report him to the moderator, put him on your Foe list and carry on.

I guess this situation is at least marginally covered by a couple of hackneyed old axioms...

1) Lead, follow, or get the fu** out of the way
2) Be part of the solution, not part of the problem

Noobs can be irritating at times, but you have to look back for a second to when YOU were a noob. You didn't spring out of your mommy with all the knowledge on this subject that you now possess. Did you learn all of it the hard way? Did people who've already stubbed their toes and picked up pieces of broken quads teach you which path to take, or not take? A combination of the two?

Forums of this type are formed to allow like minded people share information. There will never, ever, ever be an "effective" SIG (special interest group) forum where all parties are expert in the field. The experienced people here should be here to help out the less experienced and also to gain information that THEY don't have.

We have people here who make their living as photographers. We have some incredibly talented RC pilots. We have some excellent propeller heads (geeks) who thoroughly understand the electronic elements. You might be an expert RC pilot and still be a total photography noob, and vice versa.

This forum is a great pizza. Just pick off the anchovies, toss 'em in the trash and enjoy the meal...

-slinger
I like anchovies

Okay... Just stand by the trash, ignore the pizza and you're in pretty good shape, bro.. :)

-slinger

gpauk said:
Lagunaman said:
gunslinger said:

-slinger
I like anchovies

There's always one, isn't there..... :D

Yup... and that one's usually me... :D

And promise not to tell? Them anchovies are a bit tasty...

-slinger

My God, I go away for a few days only to return to find countless soggy one dollar bills and shredded feather boas strewn about the forum, my my the drinks are strong in here, and that baseless comment about us being fat conceited assholes; i'm not fat, a little conceited maybe... are these too tight, is my butt showing? Are we on Candid Camera? I hate it when people don't use participles. Oh no, he didn't not just quote 2-pages and write nothing then stick a +1 under it! That lazy.., What? Has anybody seen my nurse? I need my Thorazine. Are we having paid performances? Where do I pay? Do we get free pizza? Scones?

Good to be back... I love what you've all done with the place!

iDrone (the Very) :cool:

MadnessFPV said:
Dear Nvr2fst,

First of all. I'd like to say that you're completely out of line with your rant. This is a place for phantom pilots, hence the name phantompilots.com

The DJI products are up and coming so there is a groundswell of excitement for them. How dare you criticize those who have come here in search of education and information. You're a dinosaur from a world where you need "control" over forums and adult supervision. I would suggest that you grow up and stop treating people in a negative way. It occurs to me that you may suffer from some kind of personality disorder that causes you to lash out at strangers. This is dangerous behavior and it might be a good idea for your to seek professional help rather than act out this aggression online. Your severe aggression could in time deviate from anonymous online bad behavior into real world behavior. I say this as a concerned citizen. No healthy person would continuously attack members of this community unless they had anger management problems. For your sake, I'll be praying for you.

Sincerely,

A Concerned Citizen

Hey.......
Ok......
I get it.
Didn't you get the memo?
I was done with this a while ago.
I will take your delusions of what you believe ails me into advisement.

Why would you talk to me this way? You know how angry I am. I could snap at any moment!
BOO !!

Who is stopping you from going and doing what you want to do?
You dropped in my lair to antagonize me. So who's the flaming troll here?

I now have a 4 reply limit so make your next one good.

While I might not agree 100% with the OP, I do feel this forum is falling below the level it could be. Today when I grabbed my iPad and opened tapatalk, it came up with almost 600 unread posts . . .

So, for me to help somebody with their problem, I'm going to have to read thru ~600 other posts to find it? Not likely going to happen at once. This means people with genuine issues are being lost in the flood of other posts. Lately I've just been looking at the "participated" tab in tapatalk to filter out the thread I can't assist with, this however leaves new posts unanswered.

The search function really needs to be sorted, we can't expect noobs to find the answers they need if they can't ask a question with a vowel in it lol, a few extra mods could take some strain off Adam, and allow some basic sorting of the topics etc, I would put my hand up for being a mod, tho I'm rarely on a computer so I'm limited to what I can do already :( also having the forum itself split into a few more categories could be helpful? Having listed what phantoms a user owns (v1 v1.1 v 1.2 v1.1.1 Vision, phantom v2, v2.x) along with their avatar, could help for troubleshooting etc. I notice each FPV screen thread ends up being split into the "I'm going to try this smartphone" or "I'm looking at this screen" category because vision owners and traditional FPV flyers are walking in the same thread, it's getting confusing!

I'm thankful to those who are helping people out (tho I'm frustrated by the ones who continually post to threads with nothing extra to add to them, but are mearly upping their own post count and echoing something said a few posts earlier, AAarrrgghh!!) and im even thankful to the noobs for joining this community, but while some people are looking at the (member) numbers and assuming "bigger is better" I feel we might just be getting a little to big to really be of benefit to EVERY user, not just those with the time to read thru 500 odd threads.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj