Come on in....its a free for all!

Reaction score
Yes sir, come on in it is a free for all.

What......your Phantom flew away? Well come on in and make a new thread! And yet another. There is plenty of room.

What......your Phantom flies over water? Ok, come on in and make yet another thread!

What you are scared to fly your Phantom? Yes you too deserve your own thread! All of the other ones would just over shadow yours anyway, right.

And you sir......yours flies in circles? Well hell, let me help you with that. Let me tell you what you can do for that....no, no....you don't need to type a word in search or check out the stickies...no that is just silly.....all you need to do is ignore the hundreds of the same posted remedies of this and make your very own thread. That will put all of the attention on you as you so rightfully deserve. You know why......yes sir, because you are special and you need personalized immediate service.

You are a newby so you get a pass. A newby to the Phantom but I am guessing not a newby to forums, right?

YES we can help you too because we understand that none of you have a freakin clue on how to use a forum so you are all exempt.

This all just shows the chaos that can happen when some humans are not policed. 99% of you know how to use a forum but since nobody is policing you, 60% or more of you will take advantage of that and ignore the rules most other forums insist on. You can tell the people who are doing as they should because certain threads get more pages on them. So many threads just fade into infamy with a few replies if any just to once again pop up.......again and again and again.

Nvr2fst said:
Yes sir, come on in it is a free for all.

What......your Phantom flew away? Well come on in and make a new thread! And yet another. There is plenty of room.

What......your Phantom flies over water? Ok, come on in and make yet another thread!

What you are scared to fly your Phantom? Yes you too deserve your own thread! All of the other ones would just over shadow yours anyway, right.

And you sir......yours flies in circles? Well hell, let me help you with that. Let me tell you what you can do for that....no, no....you don't need to type a word in search or check out the stickies...no that is just silly.....all you need to do is ignore the hundreds of the same posted remedies of this and make your very own post. That will put all of the attention on you as you so rightfully deserve. You know why......yes sir, because you are special and you need personalized immediate service.

You are a newby so you get a pass. A newby to the Phantom but I am guessing not a newby to forums, right?

YES we can help you too because we understand that none of you have a freakin clue on how to use a forum so you are all exempt.

This all just shows the chaos that can happen when some humans are not policed. 99% of you know how to use a forum but since nobody is policing you, 60% or more of you will take advantage of that and ignore the rules most other forums insist on. You can tell the people who are doing as they should because certain threads get more pages on them. So many threads just fade into infamy with a few replies if any just to once again pop up.......again and again and again.

I kind of like how this forum has become the wild wild west.

Phantasmic said:
internet-serious-business.jpeg

Serious indeed!

Once again I personally, really do not care what becomes of this forum. I just find it interesting how people act when left without oversight.
Just stating an observation, although long winded you might say. Am just kind of curious what everybodys reaction is to it.
If Adam was to suddenly bring down the hammer, I am sure there would be a board wide group all of the sudden in agreement. As of now, I don't know.

I am thinking he just really doesn't want to be bothered with the maintenance of this place. He may not have forseen the growing popularity of the Phantom and this forum. It will just get worse.

So. the little kid, although cute, does not fit my reasoning of pointing these things out. Sorry.
Honestly, I truly do not care if this continues. I know it will.
This is not my forum.

AH HELL! Lost another one!

What am I to do, I keep losing them.........Darn Darn Darn :cry:

Man I am going to feel so stupid if I find times have changed and I am actually wrong.
I didn't get the memo. Really.....I didn't.

This whole phantom pilots forum was a lot more interesting and fun last year when fewer people were really experimenting and sharing the discoveries of a new sport. It's kind of gone mainstream and fat now, with lots of noobs posting inane **** and not bothering to see if their tiny problem may have been answered several dozen times already. And the awful videos of unedited noisy and shaky crap. We really don't want any more of that. Time to move on I guess.

It was well meaning (?), but that just came out as a rant/whine without proposing a solution.
Also sounded quite spiteful.

LeoS said:
It was well meaning (?), but that just came out as a rant/whine without proposing a solution.

Not spiting anyone in particular....well not entirely :oops:
It is meant to be generalized. Once again an observation.
My "rant" "whine" as you call it IS the solution. Stop reposting the same crap over and over. :D

Or not

If the regular helpful Henrys would stop catering to these people and instructing them to post appropriately, before you know it, a new order would ultimately and automatically take over. No kidding I have seen it happen. It was on the internet somewhere.

Nvr2fst said:
LeoS said:

My "rant" "whine" as you call it IS the solution. Stop reposting the same crap over and over. :D

Or not

It's like telling a company 'You're losing money, be profitable!'
It's like telling the world 'You're at war, make peace!'
It's like telling a person 'You're a loser, be successful.'

"How? Exactly what steps to take?"

Think of the problem, how newbies came here with 1001 questions in their mind and with how relatively uncategorised this board is. How bad the default search function that we have, etc.

Nvr2fst said:
If the regular helpful Henrys would stop catering to these people and instructing them to post appropriately, before you know it, a new order would ultimately and automatically take over. No kidding I have seen it happen. It was on the internet somewhere.

Oh good luck with that. Not without proper support from the mods.
Besides, even this can get too much for the regular helpful users, you'd notice that the quality of answers to the (late coming) newbies now are much less than the first time the question was asked. So it'd be in the newbie's interest to dig up the prime answer via the search engine.

Roadkilt said:
This whole phantom pilots forum was a lot more interesting and fun last year when fewer people were really experimenting and sharing the discoveries of a new sport. It's kind of gone mainstream and fat now, with lots of noobs posting inane **** and not bothering to see if their tiny problem may have been answered several dozen times already. And the awful videos of unedited noisy and shaky crap. We really don't want any more of that. Time to move on I guess.

Thanks Roadkilt.
Whether you agree with my methods or not, at least I am not alone.
Trust me, there are more.

LeoS said:
Nvr2fst said:
LeoS said:

Or not

It's like telling a company 'You're losing money, be profitable!'
It's like telling the world 'You're at war, make!'
It's like telling a person 'You're a loser, be successful.'

"How? Exactly what steps to take?"

Think of the problem, how newbies came here with 1001 questions in their mind and with how relatively uncategorised this board is. How bad the default search function that we have, etc.

Nvr2fst said:

Oh good luck with that. Not without proper support from the mods.
Besides, even this can get too much for the regular helpful users, you'd notice that the quality of answers to the (late coming) newbies now are much less than the first time the question was asked. So it'd be in the newbie's interest to dig up the prime answer via the search engine.

You just said it!
How uncategorized this board is. There you go. That is exactly what happens because of what I am talking about.

I understand what you are saying, I do. And I empathise, I do. But I can also walk in the shoes of a new owner a bit (especially if English isn't their first language) and they've just spent a ton of money on something that's not working, and DJI's site is a little lacking in helpful videos right now, and this site's search function is not the best, and in general we lot come across as non-judgemental....

But beyond all that, this isn't a democracy - the forum isn't owned by its members. It's not a collective. It's Adam's. He is our benign dictator, and whatever he says (or doesn't say) goes. If you don't like it, time to either seek asylum elsewhere or sail across the sea to found your own proud new nation (pro-tip - take plenty of citrus with you, be nice to the natives).

Moderators or not? His choice. Rigid structure or not? His choice. Who knows, if you PM him and offer your services to organise the boards into sections, highlight useful threads, make a "new owners with problems start here" section and police all of the above he might bite your hand off he's so keen for the help.

The only thing I'd say about moderators, though, is the best-moderated forums in my opinion are those where the moderators are not actively involved in discussions and/or don't have a lot of understanding of the topics being posted. That way they moderate purely on rule infringements and curating things like repeated/off topic threads and closing threads that have run their course, etc. Active posters make poorer moderators in those contexts, I would say - they are sometimes too close to the action to make the most appropriate decisions in the interests of all. Just saying. :)

TL;DR? I agree this forum is lacking in structures like some of the others. I agree we have a troll problem. I agree we get repetition. I agree that it you feed the noobs it's the other side of the coin to feeding the trolls. But, you know, I'll live with it because broadly speaking everyone here is one of the good guys. If changes are made, I'll embrace them warmly and if not I'll live with it because only one person here has the power to change it/keep it the same.

EDITED to correct shocking grammar, only noticed when someone quoted me. Normal service will now be resumed

Roadkilt said:

There are actually some of us doing what we can to help correct some of these issues. We haven't heard from the powers that be yet, but we're quietly petitioning in the background.

-slinger

Pull_Up said:
The only thing I'd say about moderators, though, is the best-moderated forums in my opinion are those where the moderators are not actively involved in discussions and don't actively have any involvement with, or a lot of understanding of, the discussions being posted. That way they moderate purely on rule infringements and curating things like repeated/off topic threads and closing threads that have run their course, etc. Active posters make poorer moderators in those contexts, I would say - they are sometimes too close to the action to make the most appropriate decisions in the interests of all. Just saying. :)

Well said Pull_Up. On your statement regarding moderation, I agree 100%. I have been a moderator on several boards. Sometimes public, sometimes private. Pros and cons for each. I have personally found that I could get emotionally involved in threads and that makes it hard to subjectively moderate. I am currently a secrete moderator on a large board and am in charge of sections that are not directly in my areas of interest. That works rather well.

Not a huge fan of phpBB but whatever. I'm not about to start my own.

gunslinger said:
Roadkilt said:

There are actually some of us doing what we can to help correct some of these issues. We haven't heard from the powers that be yet, but we're quietly petitioning in the background.

-slinger

I just joined this forum about a week ago. Since then I've learned about the bug in the iOS app, that was recently fixed, I learned about the dronexpert.com gimbal, which I've purchased and hope to review on the site, I've learned about NAZA mode and why I shouldn't turn it on and I've gotten to see a bunch of like minded air photographers who share the same excitement for this new genre of RC and photography. It's been nothing but positive for me. I like the sort of non-regulated approach to this forum. In my opinion, forum moderators just get way too obsessed with the power they have and freedom of expression goes out the window.

I don't know. Maybe it's me. As far as the situation in this forum is concerned...

This is free! On the house! No cover charge any time!

In my opinion trashing this forum is akin to complaining about a free three course meal because you found a hair in the caviar. I've gotten an incredible amount of much needed information from this forum and I've tried to give back whenever I could. Trolls? I've had Adam knock out three or four of them in the past few weeks. (Granted... two or three were probably the same twit) If a dipshit bothers you, report him to the moderator, put him on your Foe list and carry on.

I guess this situation is at least marginally covered by a couple of hackneyed old axioms...

1) Lead, follow, or get the fu** out of the way
2) Be part of the solution, not part of the problem

Noobs can be irritating at times, but you have to look back for a second to when YOU were a noob. You didn't spring out of your mommy with all the knowledge on this subject that you now possess. Did you learn all of it the hard way? Did people who've already stubbed their toes and picked up pieces of broken quads teach you which path to take, or not take? A combination of the two?

Forums of this type are formed to allow like minded people share information. There will never, ever, ever be an "effective" SIG (special interest group) forum where all parties are expert in the field. The experienced people here should be here to help out the less experienced and also to gain information that THEY don't have.

We have people here who make their living as photographers. We have some incredibly talented RC pilots. We have some excellent propeller heads (geeks) who thoroughly understand the electronic elements. You might be an expert RC pilot and still be a total photography noob, and vice versa.

This forum is a great pizza. Just pick off the anchovies, toss 'em in the trash and enjoy the meal...

-slinger

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl