Clarification on "Rules" (Baltimore)

Reaction score
Can someone clarify wether or not I am required to notify BWI before flying. I am learning about tools such as Airmaps and want to make sure I am following the rules. I am technically within the class B airspace. Am I supposed to notify them before flight, or am I good as long as I follow the 400ft/LOS guideline?? Has anyone done this or know of the best method to go about it?

Please refer to this overview guidance from the FAA; but to answer your question, if you are flying recreational (non-commercial) then you must notify the airport if you intend to fly within 5 miles of the airport.

Getting Started

Can someone clarify wether or not I am required to notify BWI before flying. I am learning about tools such as Airmaps and want to make sure I am following the rules. I am technically within the class B airspace. Am I supposed to notify them before flight, or am I good as long as I follow the 400ft/LOS guideline?? Has anyone done this or know of the best method to go about it?

If you mean that you are within the surface Class B of BWI then you cannot fly with just notification alone - surface Class B (for recreational) requires permission and coordination with ATC.

Airspace Restrictions

If you mean that you are within the surface Class B of BWI then you cannot fly with just notification alone - surface Class B (for recreational) requires permission and coordination with ATC.

Airspace Restrictions

Thanks for the info.

What constitutes coordination? Is it a simple "you are clear" from ATC or do you have to maintain constant contact? My understanding of part 107 is that constant contact isn't necessary but they can deny flight based on our proposed track and location if it conflicts with manned aircraft flights.

Not trying to split hairs, just want to be knowledgeable on the subject or if anything else, take my flights to well outside of class B to minimize risk. I'm sure that is preferred but there have obviously been UAS flights around south baltimore (thanks youtube!).

Thanks for the info.

What constitutes coordination? Is it a simple "you are clear" from ATC or do you have to maintain constant contact? My understanding of part 107 is that constant contact isn't necessary but they can deny flight based on our proposed track and location if it conflicts with manned aircraft flights.

Not trying to split hairs, just want to be knowledgeable on the subject or if anything else, take my flights to well outside of class B to minimize risk. I'm sure that is preferred but there have obviously been UAS flights around south baltimore (thanks youtube!).

My mistake - since you mentioned notifying an airport I assumed that you were referring to recreational flying. If you are Part 107 certified then you don't notify airports at all; your clearance to fly depends only on airspace, and is only good in Class G unless you have a waiver or authorization for the applicable B, C, D or E from the FAA via their online portal. Those requests may be denied by the FAA for traffic conflicts.

In terms of the "permission and coordination" referred to in the FAA link that I provided above, that refers to Part 101 flights only and means specific permission for the flight and communication with ATC during the flight, at least according to some clarifying statements that I've seen from the FAA. I also doubt whether such permission would ever be forthcoming in Class B other than, perhaps, for an AMA field within such an area.

Reactions: BigAl07
I fly within 4 miles of airport. I'm a recreational flyer. I inform them my location, ht I'll be flying. At the end of flight I call them and inform them I'm finished. There are real nice to get along with.

This is really confusing to me. I am outside the five mile radius, but according to airmaps.io I am within class B airspace. As a recreational flyer I'm confused as to whether I am required to coordinate with the airport, notify the airport, or neither.
Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 2.01.01 PM.png

B4UFly sucks. We've had a few wildfires here in FL, One near a location I was considering flying in. B4UFly didn't mention a thing about it and checking for issues without putting in an actual flight plan is challenging. Airmap showed the wildfire zone perfectly.
Of course I did not fly anywhere near the area. Besides, the main road was open for residents and emergency crew only.

This is really confusing to me. I am outside the five mile radius, but according to airmaps.io I am within class B airspace. As a recreational flyer I'm confused as to whether I am required to coordinate with the airport, notify the airport, or neither.View attachment 80340

Part 101 itself doesn't address that but the FAA interpretation, as indicated on the FAA website, is that recreational flying anywhere in surface Class B requires "ATC permission and special coordination".

This is really confusing to me. I am outside the five mile radius, but according to airmaps.io I am within class B airspace. As a recreational flyer I'm confused as to whether I am required to coordinate with the airport, notify the airport, or neither.View attachment 80340
Directly from the FAA website: Airspace Restrictions

Airports
Recreational operators are required to give notice for flights within five miles of an airport to both the airport operator and air traffic control tower, if the airport has a tower. However, recreational operations are not permitted in Class B airspace around most major airports without specific air traffic permission and coordination.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20