Choppy Video on FPV - Less than 20cm Away!

Reaction score
Help!!! My FPV kit isn't working... GoPro and Black Pearl are both in NTSC... Right channels on TX and RX... New Immersion RC antenna (with Immersion RC 600mw TX) to try fix the problem.... But I still get choppy screen... Advice, is the Tx faulty?

Help!!! My FPV kit isn't working... GoPro and Black Pearl are both in NTSC... Right channels on TX and RX... New Immersion RC antenna (with Immersion RC 600mw TX) to try fix the problem.... But I still get choppy screen... Advice, is the Tx faulty?

I'm not going to second guess what's wrong with your setup until you post photos of both the antennas on the P2 and monitor.
In the mean time watch this video.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Awesome video thank you... Helps describe range and expectancies... My problem is purely getting clear feed! The photos are below

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 440
  • image.png
    image.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 446
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 475
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 460
Awesome video thank you... Helps describe range and expectancies... My problem is purely getting clear feed! The photos are below

What you could use is an 90° elbow adapter for the antenna on the immersion to being straight down. If the cloverleaf antenna is to long with the adapter then either put longer landing gear or snap on extensions for ground clearance which you probably have any ways.
1x Adapter 90° RP.SMA male jack to RP.SMA female plug connector right angle M/F

On the monitor I use a immersionRC patch antenna which has gain of 13 DBi with a beam width of 35 degrees. This antenna also needs an adapter in order to mount it on you monitor. Because of the narrow beam width it does need to aimed at the P2.
SMA Female To RP-SMA Male connect SMA to RP-SMA RF Connector Adapter USA

If you watched the video then you know that the signal from the cloverleaf antenna is mainly 360° off the sides and very little from the end. Since we are suppose fly with VLOS and not solely with the monitor. As a videographer I am within 150 m distance and 50 m in altitude but I enjoy having as clean a view on the monitor as possible which I also record each flight on a DVR for the telemetry as backup.

Hope this helps.

IMG_1138.jpg

Snap on extensions
IMG_2069.jpg

DJI Phantom 2, Vision, Vision + Snap-on 30 MM Riser for landing gear.

Last edited:
What you could use is an 90° elbow adapter for the antenna on the immersion to being straight down. If the cloverleaf antenna is to long with the adapter then either put longer landing gear or snap on extensions for ground clearance which you probably have any ways.
1x Adapter 90° RP.SMA male jack to RP.SMA female plug connector right angle M/F

On the monitor I use a immersionRC patch antenna which has gain of 13 DBi with a beam width of 35 degrees. This antenna also needs an adapter in order to mount it on you monitor. Because of the narrow beam width it does need to aimed at the P2.
SMA Female To RP-SMA Male connect SMA to RP-SMA RF Connector Adapter USA

If you watched the video then you know that the signal from the cloverleaf antenna is mainly 360° off the sides and very little from the end. Since we are suppose fly with VLOS and not solely with the monitor. As a videographer I am within 150 m distance and 50 m in altitude but I enjoy having as clean a view on the monitor as possible which I also record each flight on a DVR for the telemetry as backup.

Hope this helps.

View attachment 47546

Snap on extensions
View attachment 47548
DJI Phantom 2, Vision, Vision + Snap-on 30 MM Riser for landing gear.

Thanks Jason! I think there is something wrong with my transmitter, even standing next to the drone there is no clean feed on the drone. I am buying a patch antenna tomorrow to go with my clover leafs

Thanks Jason! I think there is something wrong with my transmitter, even standing next to the drone there is no clean feed on the drone. I am buying a patch antenna tomorrow to go with my clover leafs

Don't forget the adapters you'll need them.

Thank you! I have one for my receiver need another haha

Is it female to female because both monitor and antenna are male

This is my understanding of what I need :) I think the adapter is fine

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    178.4 KB · Views: 427
Is it female to female because both monitor and antenna are male
So if I leave my GoPro off... the Telemetry details are very clear, as soon as the gopro turns on it turns to choppy? Is this interference

So if I leave my GoPro off... the Telemetry details are very clear, as soon as the gopro turns on it turns to choppy? Is this interference

It would easier if you posted a video of the distortion from the camera. Have you installed the anti-interference board (low pass filter) inside the shell? You might try changing channels to find the beast one but don't forget to adjust RX 1 & 2 on the same channel when you're finished.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic