Check your SD card before flight

It's when you are on the final return flight back home, when the dreaded "MicroSD Card Full" error pops up that it is most painful! No way to fix it! That planned selfie landing at the end of the flight will just have to wait for another day! ;)
No quarrel there. I was just taking the chance to point out a related piece of advice.

Hand catch selfies are the best!! :)

Reactions: GadgetGuy
If the selfie landing was all that remained to be recorded, and if HD wasn't crucial, I'd turn on AZ Screen Recorder. It's a very decent free Android app that I've used quite a bit in the months since I downloaded it.

I'm in the group here that flies strictly for fun... no clients. The commercial users and the hobbyist users are both huge groups, and each has a tendency to forget that the other exists.
Unfortunately, we iOS users have no such screen recording alternative. Also, the supplemental 720p recording, directly to the device, in the video cache, requires that recording be actively taking place on the aircraft, which isn't possible, once the card in the aircraft fills up.

No quarrel there. I was just taking the chance to point out a related piece of advice.

Hand catch selfies are the best!! :)
I used to deliberately edit out the landing, but then my raving fans demanded that they wanted to see me smiling into the camera, before rolling the credits! :p

Unfortunately, we iOS users have no such screen recording alternative. Also, the supplemental 720p recording, directly to the device, in the video cache, requires that recording be actively taking place on the aircraft, which isn't possible, once the card in the aircraft fills up.
Litchi let's you record the screen on iOS.

Litchi let's you record the screen on iOS.
True. That is an option. I forgot about that. However, while sticking with GO 4, without jailbreaking your iOS device, Apple natively doesn't want to make it easy!

1cd99020af90d1dd2e8bc1fc58961f21.jpg
Do you know where you bought that wallet from? A link if you can please :)

I am probably the only one who import to the computer all the videos recently made. Once uploaded, format the card. Edited the video and upload to YouTube. Once the video is in the channel, I deleted the video I imported. Job is done.

I am probably the only one who import to the computer all the videos recently made. Once uploaded, format the card. Edited the video and upload to YouTube. Once the video is in the channel, I deleted the video I imported. Job is done.
With 23-25 minute flights of continuous video per battery, shooting back to back flights, between editing, rendering, upload, and YouTube processing, it can take 24 hours or more to deal with each card. The more cards, the merrier! :cool:

With 23-25 minute flights of continuous video per battery, shooting back to back flights, between editing, rendering, upload, and YouTube processing, it can take 24 hours or more to deal with each card. The more cards, the merrier! :cool:
Once the video is transferred from the micro-SD, it's not going anywhere and it's not taking up space on the one card that lives with my P4P. I know you realize that; I'm just saying that there is not a single method which is optimal for everyone. 98% of my flights take off and land within a short walk of my house, so even if I'm flying two batteries worth, I can step inside and download the footage from the first flight, put the card back in the bird and go fly the second battery.

Speaking of YouTube, it does amaze me how small the files are without being total junk. I've got around 300 quad copter videos uploaded to YouTube. For some of those, I've given thought to downloading the small file from YouTube and deleting the original files, which are anywhere from 20 to 100 times the size. I should do that... it's not like there will ever be some great need for the original files that are taking up so much space.

Once the video is transferred from the micro-SD, it's not going anywhere and it's not taking up space on the one card that lives with my P4P. I know you realize that; I'm just saying that there is not a single method which is optimal for everyone. 98% of my flights take off and land within a short walk of my house, so even if I'm flying two batteries worth, I can step inside and download the footage from the first flight, put the card back in the bird and go fly the second battery.

Speaking of YouTube, it does amaze me how small the files are without being total junk. I've got around 300 quad copter videos uploaded to YouTube. For some of those, I've given thought to downloading the small file from YouTube and deleting the original files, which are anywhere from 20 to 100 times the size. I should do that... it's not like there will ever be some great need for the original files that are taking up so much space.
Indeed! I upload at 100Mbs to YouTube in full 2160p 4K, so my uploads are about the size of the originals, as the higher bit rate reduces YouTube's compression, and increases quality, and they are paying for the extra storage required, not me! I tend to format the cards all at once, when the last one has been used up, rather than using one card over and over. Either method works. The one imperative, for me, is change cards every time you change batteries. I never want to lose more than one flight, in case the bird is unrecoverable.

Last edited:
Reactions: DocDiggler
Indeed! I upload at 100Mbs to YouTube in full 2160p 4K, so my uploads are about the size of the originals, as the higher bit rate reduces YouTube's compression, and increases quality, and they are paying for the extra storage required, not me!
Can you give a link to one of your YouTube videos? Do you download the YouTube-processed files once they're up on your YouTube page, and if so, how do they compare in size to the files that you uploaded?

Here's why I ask: as I said earlier, I find the video quality on YouTube pretty amazing, considering how radically they reduce the file size. Regardless of the size of the file that I upload, and even when I upload a file that's the same size and bit rate as the original 4K file, YouTube reduces it to 20% or less of that size. The largest files that YouTube has ever produced for any of my videos are still no more than 100 MB per minute of uploaded video. Usually, they are significantly smaller than that.

Can you give a link to one of your YouTube videos? Do you download the YouTube-processed files once they're up on your YouTube page, and if so, how do they compare in size to the files that you uploaded?

Here's why I ask: as I said earlier, I find the video quality on YouTube pretty amazing, considering how radically they reduce the file size. Regardless of the size of the file that I upload, and even when I upload a file that's the same size and bit rate as the original 4K file, YouTube reduces it to 20% or less of that size. The largest files that YouTube has ever produced for any of my videos are still no more than 100 MB per minute of uploaded video. Usually, they are significantly smaller than that.
I haven't tried to download my uploaded YouTube videos after uploading, but the original rendered file that I upload is comparable in size to the original microSD card files, because I render out at a Constant Bit Rate (CBR) of 100Mbs at "maximum depth", with a key frame every 12 frames, which protects the original detail, even after YouTube's aggressive compression. If I use the standard 4K output settings in PP CC 2017 for YouTube, of 40Mbs Variable Bit Rate (VBR) and 1 pass, my output files are, indeed, 20% of the size of the originals. Great for viewing on an iPhone, but not on a 55" 4K TV. My PP output settings improve the YouTube quality of P4 video and are necessary for my P4P video files.

I haven't tried to download my uploaded YouTube videos after uploading, but the original rendered file that I upload is comparable in size to the original microSD card files, because I render out at a Constant Bit Rate (CBR) of 100Mbs at "maximum depth", with a key frame every 12 frames, which protects the original detail, even after YouTube's aggressive compression. If I use the standard 4K output settings in PP CC 2017 for YouTube, of 40Mbs Variable Bit Rate (VBR) and 1 pass, my output files are, indeed, 20% of the size of the originals. Great for viewing on an iPhone, but not on a 55" 4K TV. My PP output settings improve the YouTube quality of P4 video and are necessary for my P4P video files.
I think you'd be surprised to find out how small the file actually is on YouTube. That's all I was saying. I've read where others have talked about the maximum bitrate that YouTube uses and I think they said it's either 12 or 15 Mbs, but I think I tend to agree with you that higher bitrate is not wasted in the pre-uploaded file even though the video produced by YouTube has a lower bitrate.

I think you'd be surprised to find out how small the file actually is on YouTube. That's all I was saying. I've read where others have talked about the maximum bitrate that YouTube uses and I think they said it's either 12 or 15 Mbs, but I think I tend to agree with you that higher bitrate is not wasted in the pre-uploaded file even though the video produced by YouTube has a lower bitrate.
Agreed. However, just like the 100Mbs 4K video on the P4P produces a better 4K video than the 60Mbs of the P4, P3 and Mavic, and a DNG holds more data than a camera jpg, when the YouTube compression happens, it preserves more data if you give it more data to begin with. I am told that YouTube preserves more quality on an uploaded 100Mbs file than a lower value, because it assumes that the 100Mbs is true 4K, which will look like crap on a big 4K TV, if they compress it the same as a 1080p upload. I notice a clear difference after making the output rendering change to 100Mbs CBR for upload to YouTube. It is more likely to freeze up, too, on playback, if the YouTube buffering stream can't keep up, at busy viewing times! Also, YouTube outputs multiple quality versions of 360p, 480p, 720p, 1080p, 1440p, and 2160p from a 2160p 4K upload. Only by selecting the 2160p Quality setting will you get the best stream. The YouTube default Auto quality setting is often only playing the crappy 720p feed, even though 2160p is available, if you select it manually first! :cool:

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94