Reaction score
Here's my review of the Goal Zero Sherpa 100AC, which is compact, weighs 2 pounds and charges charges the Phantom 4 batteries without a hiccup. This also compares the Sherpa100AC to similar power banks.

I was not compensated in any way for this review or posting.

The Goal Zero Sherpa 110AC is under-promised and over-delivered.

I charged my Sherpa 100AC to 100% from 110v power adapter when I first received it. Then I put it to its first and stringent test: charging a DJI Phantom 4 Pro battery from the Sherpa 100AC's 110V AC-port. Mind you that the Sherpa 100AC is rated "up to 100 Watts" (.9 Amps). The Sherpa 100AC charged the DJI Phantom 4 Pro battery from depleted to 100% without a hiccup. At times, the Sherpa's informative and always visible illuminated display showed the drone battery drawing as much as 122 Watts.

Now, admittedly an OCD person when it comes to "backups" of every type, I have many different "power banks" and solar panels...Although mostly Goal Zero. My place looks like a Goal Zero showroom. I tested the DJI Phantom 4 Pro drone battery against two other types of, supposedly higher capacity, power banks: The "Suaoki S270 Portable Power Station 150Wh Quiet Gas Free Camping Generator QC3.0 UPS Lithium Power Supply", rated at 150Wh and "max 100W, peak power 150W". After a few minutes of charging the DJI drone battery, the Suaoki Shut down completely. I restarted the S270 and again, after a few minutes, it shut down completely. While the S270 has several 12V, USB and 2 110V AC outlets, it does not have a Qi 5W wireless charger like the Sherpa 110AC does, not is it as compact as the Sherpa 110AC or have an informative display like the Sherpa 110AC does.

Next, I tested it against a iPrigent "Portable Solar Generator Power Source - 41600mAh 154Wh" which claims to have a 120 Watt inverter output. When I attempted to charger the DJI Phantom 4 Pro battery, it shut down in less than a minute. The iPrigent has a single 110 v output port/receptacle and two USB ports. The input port is a DC 19 volt, 2 Amp socket that charges the unit from an AC-adapter or solar panel. It lacks any "informative display" and simply states it remaining capacity with a series of 4 tiny blue LEDs.

Now back to the Goal Zero Sherpa 100AC: It is compact and high quality throughout.

For input (recharging it) it has a standard 8mm Goal Zero input receptacle and two Type C connectors, each rated at 60 Watts each. The Type C connector is 2 way so it can be used for input (recharging) and output (charging something else). It can be recharged with a 12v car adapter as well. The Sherpa 100AC has 2 USB ports rated at 2.4 Ams each, and 1 110 volt AC receptacle . It has a wireless Qi 5 Watt charging pad for phones that have Qi compatible wireless charging, as with the latest iPhones and many Android devices and tablets.

I used the Sherpa 100AC to wireless-charge my nearly dead iPhone X, which took between 2 and 3 hours and only consumed 22% of the Sherpa 100AC's capacity.

I'm a photographer, using drones, Matterport Systems and conventional still and video equipment. I almost "live" on battery and solar power. The Sherpa 100AC is now my favorite all-around device when I need its capacity. For higher capacity demands I rely on the Goal Zero Yeti 400 Lithium and Yeti 1400 Lithium. In my opinion, the Goal Zero Nomad 28 Plus is the most convenient way to charge the Sherpa 100AC when sun is available.

When you want remote or backup power, "usually reliable" is not an option. As a matter of fact, I consider "usually reliable" an oxymoron. I have found this Sherpa 100AC to be "reliable" as in "completely reliable", which is what you want. If you're considering a Power Bank of this capacity, look no further and get the Goal Zero Sherpa 100AC. I doubt that you'd have any second-thoughts!

Attachments

• IMG_0865.jpg
    IMG_0865.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 542
  • IMG_0863.jpg
    IMG_0863.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 502
  • IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 503
Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
That is an interesting review. Thanks for providing it. Considering the cost for the Goal Zero Sherpa 100AC is over $200 it seems like you'd be better off just buying a spare P4P battery, except, of course, you can charge your phone or tablet with the Sherpa. I notice the Goal Zero Nomad 28 only puts out 28 watts in full sun. How long does it take to fully charge your Sherpa 100AC with that? You must do a lot of work off the mains for extended periods of time.

I don'ty spend any time at all on the Mains. All of my power stations/battery banks are 100% charged by solar. I have Goal Zero Boulder 200 Briefcase, 2X Boulder 100 Briefcase, 3X Boulder 50 and several "folding" solar panels. I also have Goal Zero Yeti 1400 Lithium and Yeti 400 Lithium. But my point on Sherpa is that it's very convenient. I have 6 Phantom batteries so it's not that I'm short of batteries. My usual shoot takes 3 or so batteries, and I've never had a need to recharge YET and if I think I might, I take one or two of the extras. But just in case I have the Sherpa 100AC, It's also backup for my iPad which I use with Matterport System, the Matterport camera itself, conventional camera dn flashes...I could go on. The Sherpa 100AC is so small, light and convenient that I almost find it indispensable. And Goal Zero is quality throughout.

If I use just Nomal 28 Plus to charge my Sherpa 100AC, in good sun from a fully depleted Sherpa 100AC, you can plan on 5 or so hours, maybe 6. Depends on sun etc.

That is pretty cool. You are fortunate to be living in times when there is technology such as drones and solar chargers. When I was younger I would have killed for such options. Have you considered making a YouTube video showing your use of the various solar chargers, power storage units, and even drones? I think it would be fascinating. What sort of videos or photos you use your Phantom for? Are you on the road continually?

Hi, I'm from Ecuador and I get a Phantom 4 recently. I was reading your coments and I have some questions.
I need to do a work in a camp, I have three Phantom's bateries but I need to rechearge these. My question is; how many recharge can I do whit a Goal Zero Sherpa 100AC if it is full of battery?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj