Catastrophic crash tonight - Phantom 3 Pro destroyed!!

My kids and I retrieved most all of the parts.

Was there any evidence of blood or feathers on any of the 3 remaining props? Could've been a bird strike that caused a prop to come off or break. Was there any plastic residue on the motor head or prop threads where it looks like the prop got ripped off the head?

Was there any evidence of blood or feathers on any of the 3 remaining props? Could've been a bird strike that caused a prop to come off or break. Was there any plastic residue on the motor head or prop threads where it looks like the prop got ripped off the head?

Something caused the copter to tumble.. Look at the gimbal tilt bar.. It was either a motor / esc failure or an impact from an outside object, like a bird.

Sorry for the loss..

There was not...but, I was just able to get the POV video out of the Pilot app...grab your popcorn for this 49 second plummet to earth. What I don't understand it why it didn't record the impact. The SD card was ejected, so that must have happened in a split second (hence corrupting the card file)

Crash video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sgipvdrbyazef2j/POV Crash from camera 2015_06_18_20_45_39.cache.mp4?dl=0

Something caused the copter to tumble.. Look at the gimbal tilt bar.. It was either a motor / esc failure or an impact from an outside object, like a bird.

Sorry for the loss..
Thanks. I definitely don't feel like it was a bird based on the above video.

Ugh. That hurt to watch. Whatever it was was instantaneous and does not look to be any kind of impact. So sorry.

Reactions: Australis5
Thanks. I definitely don't feel like it was a bird based on the above video.

After seeing that I agree not a bird.. Must have been esc or motor. It was instant, and we know it still had power so not battery related... Only thing pilot could have done to cause this would be a CSC, we know that is not the case since we saw the log. Plus CSC wouldn't have been that instant as well.

Sorry man...

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the crash. You should look at the stick inputs at the time of crash. You can toggle them on or off by clicking on the controls icon I n the lower left corner of the playback screen. That way you will be able to prove there was no CSC input by you.
We don't get that in the android version of pilot.

We don't get that in the android version of pilot.
Correct but there still recorded.. So when played back on an ios device or when dji plays them back, they will be visible

This is very sad to watch and I am sorry for the aircraft lose, but this video must teach us all that drones/rpas/UAV could drop from the sky unexpectedly.
Do not fly over populated areas, neither over people. Remember Murphy's Law. **** happens.
Remember better be safe than sorry
We all must keep this in mind. If a Phantom drops out of the sky and harms anyone, the sole responsible person is the pilot.
Enjoy your Phanton in open areas away from houses, urban areas, crowds......

This is very sad to watch and I am sorry for the aircraft lose, but this video must teach us all that drones/rpas/UAV could drop from the sky unexpectedly.
Do not fly over populated areas, neither over people. Remember Murphy's Law. **** happens.
Remember better be safe than sorry
We all must keep this in mind. If a Phantom drops out of the sky and harms anyone, the sole responsible person is the pilot.
Enjoy your Phanton in open areas away from houses, urban areas, crowds......

Yep...it was a major eye opener for sure. Never considered it could/would just drop without my having any pilot input to correct- especially as I wasn't doing anything stupid intentionally. Very glad it just dropped in the street, and there was nobody around. I've gone through the possibilities in my head of what could have been. I'll be taking the route over the woods in the future.

DattaGroover - best of luck to you. I don't look forward to that process.

Upon further inspection this morning, it looks like one of the props came off!. the other 3 props were either sheared off on impact or badly damaged. The 4th rotor had no prop. I looked all over for it around the crash site to no avail. I always give these a nice snug tightening after spinning them on, so I know it had nothing to do with how I put them on (I even double checked in my pre-flight). After reading a bit more on how this could potentially happen, sounds like maybe a motor failure either locking up, changing direction or something similar could spin off a prop?? Sounds rare, but not sure what else it could be.

Since I just received this 3 days ago, bought through Amazon, using my Amex, I am almost inclined to send it back and get a replacement unit this way, after hearing some horror stories about DJI warranty, and the fact that it could take 6+ weeks (unacceptable IMO). I feel like I would be on trial or something - after spending $1300 for a defective unit, to wait weeks, to only have them subjectively determine whether or not to replace it?? Any thoughts?

Here are all of the pics: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jlrwieleltlqyu1/AADJxWJh_Y4L2RXhCUN1ndRka?dl=0
Send it back to Amazon.

DattaGroover - best of luck to you. I don't look forward to that process.

Upon further inspection this morning, it looks like one of the props came off!. the other 3 props were either sheared off on impact or badly damaged. The 4th rotor had no prop. I looked all over for it around the crash site to no avail. I always give these a nice snug tightening after spinning them on, so I know it had nothing to do with how I put them on (I even double checked in my pre-flight). After reading a bit more on how this could potentially happen, sounds like maybe a motor failure either locking up, changing direction or something similar could spin off a prop?? Sounds rare, but not sure what else it could be.

Since I just received this 3 days ago, bought through Amazon, using my Amex, I am almost inclined to send it back and get a replacement unit this way, after hearing some horror stories about DJI warranty, and the fact that it could take 6+ weeks (unacceptable IMO). I feel like I would be on trial or something - after spending $1300 for a defective unit, to wait weeks, to only have them subjectively determine whether or not to replace it?? Any thoughts?

Here are all of the pics: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jlrwieleltlqyu1/AADJxWJh_Y4L2RXhCUN1ndRka?dl=0
Amex doesn't cover quads. But I'd definitely go the amazon route first. Just make sure you back up the logs before doing anything else, just in case.
Ditto that. Amazon is the first place to go, and back them logs up!

I had my P2 FPV go totally crazy at only 10 feet off the ground, then thought it might be because of a building I was beside, flew again and was about 15 feet and went beserk again, sent it in, since I had not owned if for 30 days and cost me 70 bucks to send it back in it's hard case. 1UAS said nothing wrong with it, but could not explain why it went nuts, then after getting it back had two fly aways at low altitude but was able to get it down before it got to far away, so only messed up some props. Finally, recalibrated the IMU and seemed to solve the problem aside from downloading the firmware updates that came out at the beginning of the year. I found crimped wire inside when I opened it up before I sent it back, 1UAS said that was not the problem, but I still believe differently. This taught me to fly low in the beginning and over a hay field to lessen the impact if it falls. Glad I did. Not every DJI product is 100%, they are built in China and they treat their factory workers like slaves, I should know, I lived in Communist China for over a year, simply meaning that quality control is not on the top of their agenda and training is not real swift either. China is close to what Japan was back in the 60's and 70's where anything coming out of Japan was worthless and cheap as hell. DJI Corporate knows they can get away with bad products because they put so many pass filters on returns and repairs so that it is almost impossible for anyone to be treated right. They severly limit their US dealers on being able to resolve product issues. My original gimbal from DJI was toast from the beginning but instead of letting 1UAS replace the gimbal, I had to send the gimbal back to DJI in California to confirm it. So I had to pay shipping twice to get the gimbal finally replaced.

Credit card insurance specifically excludes all aircraft, as well as any manufacturing and design defects. They figure the manufacturer already covers those defects. Amazon is your best bet, especially if you are a good customer.

Credit card insurance specifically excludes all aircraft, as well as any manufacturing and design defects. They figure the manufacturer already covers those defects. Amazon is your best bet, especially if you are a good customer.
Amazon is great, that's why I only buy on Amazon. Amex will not cover it, I know this first hand.

Even Chase's CC insurance on purchases excludes aircraft and manufacturing and design defects. It also is limited to $500 per incident. Won't even cover the camera on the P3P, even if it were covered. Amazon for the win, assuming you are within 30 days.

maybe when you were stopping to get a good shot the breaks kicked and and the prop came off.............................. maybe

Using the wrench to get the props good and tight is the best way to prevent one being thrown off during braking. If they get too loose from repeated removal after overtightening, just replace them. The new all plastic composite interior props are 1/4 the cost of the old ones that had metal threads inside! Consider periodically replacing them as a regular maintenance item, even if the blades still look like new. The interor cushioning of high end running shoes wear out long before the exterior tread ever shows signs of wear. Same idea.

I am so sorry for your loss, but i am glad that many people are trying to help you. I hope Amazon will make the biggest move for you and we all get the good news here.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl