Phantom 3 Pro. Compass error. Exit GPS mode. ,after rebuild

Reaction score
Apologies if the answer is already out there but could not find a post on this after a water crash.

I have crashed my P3P before and rebuilt it with no problem. Have a few hundred flights before and about 100 after the first crash.

I crashed it again and this time 2 of the prop arms went under water for about 5 minutes. I let it dry in front of a fan for a week while waiting for another shell.

From the looks of the water and debris marks inside the shell most of it got wet inside. I let it dry in front of a fan for a week while waiting an a new shell. Got it back together and it flies.

I always fly in remote areas and usually only 3 places for taking off and landing. I have never had any magnetic interference, steel, vehicles or anything of that nature. Now every time I take off with in a minute or even down to 10 seconds I get the "Compass error. Exit GPS mode." red line warning. I have re-calibrated the compass a few times and the software is up to date.

I did use the new compass that came in the landing gear/shell package. I fear it is the GPS complex that is adhered to the top part of the shell.

As of today, 12-14-17, I plan to put the previous compass back on.

I would greatly appreciate any advise on this especially after a water crash.

Now for how it happened. I fly it most of the time for aerial photos and video at work. I'm self employed and ditch for many homeowners, a few electricians and a few plumbers. I save the photos and video to computer and back up in case they every need to know where that ditch was. On this flight it was for one of my top customers and I was taking photos of some lights mounted in trees that need repairing, he had friends fishing on a small lake and wanted me to buzz them. I did and coming back in I hit a tiny tree limb I could not see on camera or by eye. The guys fishing rescued it and laughed at me LOL, oh well they got a kick out of it.

good story.

For the issue - you're doing good. You should eliminate the possibility that the new compass is damaged, by checking the old one.
Remember to use ribbon cable from the old one as well.

If both compasses give the same issue - then the problem must be on ESC Center Board. Since this board only connects the compass plug to Flight Controller, you should then inspect the connection, looking whether path is not broken, especially at the place where FC is soldered.

Reactions: csparks
quaddamage.. What ribbon cable are you referring to, when advising to "use ribbon cable from old one" as well?
Thanks

quaddamage.. What ribbon cable are you referring to, when advising to "use ribbon cable from old one" as well?

I mean the 4-wire cable which connects compass to ESC center board. Now when I think about it, I remember it is actually soldered to the compass board, so you probably intended to keep them together :)

OK, Got it . Thanks.
Planning a shell swap after a graphics dip soon & not looking for any surprises..

Thank you quaddamage. I will update as soon as I get a chance to change out the compass and cable. I will pay particular attention to the connection.

VW.rootman, when it hit the "twig" it hit the tree and then some rocks in the water. One of the motor mounts, not sure what elseems to call it, was cracked around 3 of the 4 machine screws that hold it in place. I though it had another crack, on the top half, but was just a scratch with dirt in it.

I sure appreciate the help and everyone's input and time.

Update: Good news, not sure if it was the connection or the new compass. I checked the connection and unplugged/plugged in a few times and decided to put the previous compass back on. Took it out for a test and the problem is gone and looks and flies like new out of the box.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj