Can't initialize Phantom 3 4K

Reaction score
I just received a freshly refurbished Phantom 3 4K from DJI in Cerritos. I tried to initialize it last night and I repeatedly got an error message that I was not receiving WI-Fi. I was receiving Wi-Fi. The setup fails at the screen where you choose to turn Beginner Mode on or off. No matter which choice you take, you get a message that you have to connect to Wi-Fi. I ran this many times. What am I missing?

I just received a freshly refurbished Phantom 3 4K from DJI in Cerritos. I tried to initialize it last night and I repeatedly got an error message that I was not receiving WI-Fi. I was receiving Wi-Fi. The setup fails at the screen where you choose to turn Beginner Mode on or off. No matter which choice you take, you get a message that you have to connect to Wi-Fi. I ran this many times. What am I missing?
Can we assume you have the basics covered?

You’re device is connected to your old RC’s WiFi signal and not your home’s WiFi?

You’ve already done the linking process with your old RC and your new AC?

Last edited:
Can we assume you have the basics covered?

You’re old RC is connected to your new AC’s WiFi signal and not your home’s WiFi?

You’ve already done the linking process with your old RC and your new AC?
I have both a new Aircraft and a new RC (Refurbished)

I assume they came linked. Maybe to assume is not good. I"ll take a look in a bit. BUT, If I were not linked, how could I have answered all the questions that I was asked prior to getting to the point of the error message??

Good evening. I am the OP and have accidentally solved the problem. Here is my crude explanation. After I confirmed that the RC in fact linked to the Aircraft, I took another shot at activating the Aircraft. No problem with linking. I then tried one more time to complete the activation and when I reached the question whether or not to start in normal mode or beginners mode, I was halted by the message that I was not connected to Wi-Fi. For those that don't know the Phantom 3 4K, the RC does not connect to your phone or tablet with a cable but instead the RC connects to your device by generating it's own Wi-Fi signal, so you can go to your phone or tablet settings and connect to your device, just like you were connecting to the Wi-Fi at a friend's house or Coffee shop, etc. So, I shut down the Aircraft, then to my iPad and connected to my home Wi-Fi and then to DJI Go to shut it down just in time to see it say my Phantom was now activated. So, in other words, I should have disconnected the Wi-Fi from the RC and finished on my Internet connected home Wi-Fi. I had printed the appropriate pages from the DJI manual so I could follow the step by step instructions but they did not lead me where I needed to be. What a PITA this was. Maybe I can fly in the morning!

Good evening. I am the OP and have accidentally solved the problem. Here is my crude explanation. After I confirmed that the RC in fact linked to the Aircraft, I took another shot at activating the Aircraft. No problem with linking. I then tried one more time to complete the activation and when I reached the question whether or not to start in normal mode or beginners mode, I was halted by the message that I was not connected to Wi-Fi. For those that don't know the Phantom 3 4K, the RC does not connect to your phone or tablet with a cable but instead the RC connects to your device by generating it's own Wi-Fi signal, so you can go to your phone or tablet settings and connect to your device, just like you were connecting to the Wi-Fi at a friend's house or Coffee shop, etc. So, I shut down the Aircraft, then to my iPad and connected to my home Wi-Fi and then to DJI Go to shut it down just in time to see it say my Phantom was now activated. So, in other words, I should have disconnected the Wi-Fi from the RC and finished on my Internet connected home Wi-Fi. I had printed the appropriate pages from the DJI manual so I could follow the step by step instructions but they did not lead me where I needed to be. What a PITA this was. Maybe I can fly in the morning!
Jeff, I too am having a similar "Activate" problem with my P3A. The RC and AC are already pared just fine. But I cannot get my iPad's DJI-GO.app to recognize it, the "Phantom 3 Advanced" choice is in the Choose drop down button is grayed out, and won't go beyond this back to the Camera button.

Could you please clearly itemize your procedure's steps 1,2,3 etc. Thanks, Capt Bill

Jeff, I too am having a similar "Activate" problem with my P3A. The RC and AC are already pared just fine. But I cannot get my iPad's DJI-GO.app to recognize it, the "Phantom 3 Advanced" choice is in the Choose drop down button is grayed out, and won't go beyond this back to the Camera button.

Could you please clearly itemize your procedure's steps 1,2,3 etc. Thanks, Capt Bill
May be a bad USB port board in the remote controller.

Reactions: JoBe

Our Drones are totally different in the way thast the RC connects to your phone or tablet. There is no cable between them and no place to plug one in.

Reactions: JoBe

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20