Can't bypass maximum altitude

Oh there are lots of bits of mountain scenery that are over 1500 feet above your starting point. I have a 2500 foot hill just outside my back yard. I can climb up the hill at just over tree top level - not even the Coast Guard helicopters cut it that close.

Until DJI puts a real altitude over ground function in these things, we're out of luck. And DJI really doesn't have much impetus to do so. Easier to tell everybody to stay below 400 feet.

It's 400 feet in the US

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
The 400 feet is the official FAA recommendation, and one of the "rules" you are supposed to agree with when you register... not officially a law... although I'm sure there will be something law wise in the future. Just as full scale aircraft are supposed to stay above 500 feet AGL.... and many times are below that.

Thanks guys, you're right, guess I'll have to lower my expectations... [emoji17]

Those were some amazing shots above the clouds the risk takers on YouTube got though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you will find that the best attribute to these machines is low and slow (or low and fast!) and getting "high" gets boring very quickly...

Also, I'm assuming as a new owner and about to fly or have flown you ave already registered and gone over the safety rules?

Reactions: PaulJohn
I think you will find that the best attribute to these machines is low and slow (or low and fast!) and getting "high" gets boring very quickly...

Also, I'm assuming as a new owner and about to fly or have flown you ave already registered and gone over the safety rules?

Good point! Now if I can only do something about the poor range...

I'm in the UK and drone registration isn't required here yet.

On that same token about added altitude I just bought a P4 and was wondering if I launched my p4 from a cliff at an altitude of 2745 feet Would my drone drop out of sight to 400 feet and leave me helpless to retrieve it or will the altitude of the cliff be the starting point

On that same token about added altitude I just bought a P4 and was wondering if I launched my p4 from a cliff at an altitude of 2745 feet Would my drone drop out of sight to 400 feet and leave me helpless to retrieve it or will the altitude of the cliff be the starting point

The cliff would be your starting altitude :)

Thanks guy, that's what I think too, but have you ever tried this, or are you just giving me the logical answer

Thanks guy, that's what I think too, but have you ever tried this, or are you just giving me the logical answer
I think that someone, somewhere must have flown below their starting point and that DJI designers are smart enough to have considered this as well.

Think about it again.
Your Phantom doesn't know where sea level is and doesn't know if it is on the top of a mountain or over the side.
Why would it drop if you move sideways from the edge of a cliff?
What could make it do that?

Thanks guys, You both make great points, I think I will give it a try next weekend, the scenery is gorgeous, great photo potential

Reactions: PaulJohn
Good point! Now if I can only do something about the poor range...

I'm in the UK and drone registration isn't required here yet.

if your the John Paul that made this video

then I think it's time you packed it up before you spoil this sport for other UK hobbyist

How many threads do we need on this same video...?
And why is it everyone is a nazi about height, flying over people, buildings, traffic but there are countless threads of max distance of 10k and more. Selective to which rules people want to follow and complain about. Many threads on max distance with so many congrats replies. Guessing zero people here can see their bird with the naked eye at that distance...

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I've spoken up in some of the distance threads but I'm done with it all.
Too many narcissist pilots and tough guy web posers.

Not worth the key strokes.

Quite a valid point ypu have said there, why would flying 2 miles far into the unknown and possibly breaking the rules be safer than breaking any other rule in the drone law book.....

Unless you are flying over water or desert and the damage is only to your bird.

I have seen several posts with maps showing long distance flights over populated areas, isint this against the FAA or CAA or similar rules ?

How many threads do we need on this same video...?
And why is it everyone is a nazi about height, flying over people, buildings, traffic but there are countless threads of max distance of 10k and more. Selective to which rules people want to follow and complain about. Many threads on max distance with so many congrats replies. Guessing zero people here can see their bird with the naked eye at that distance...

first I object to being referred to as a Nazi.
Many threads on max distance with so many congrats replies.
I think you'll find that the replies on max distance get less congrats and more negative comments.

it just makes me wonder why I stick to the rules when others blatantly flaunt them so that when strong restrictions do come in I'll be included as well through no fault of my own

that's all I've got to say on the subject, for the rest of you just go out and do what you want to do as long as you can because it'll all stop soon

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20