Can't bypass maximum altitude

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'd like to fly above the maximum 500m in the settings. Following instructions I found online as soon as the "max flight altitude reached" pops up I hold the RTH button, then hold the altitude stick up but nothing happens :(
Is it possible this bypass no longer works? Is there any other way I can go above 500m?

Many thanks!
Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you turn off GPS and go into atti mode only you might be able to... but why would you want to? There isn't anyway you can have a VLS on something that small. Seems really reckless.

If you turn off GPS and go into atti mode only you might be able to... but why would you want to? There isn't anyway you can have a VLS on something that small. Seems really reckless.

What's VLS?

I believe he is referring to visual line of sight

You are an admittedly new pilot and you want to exceed not only the recommended 400' altitude but you want to exceed the 1640' limit set in the app. You will get lots of opinions why that is not a safe thing to do, even if you are an experienced pilot.

You are an admittedly new pilot and you want to exceed not only the recommended 400' altitude but you want to exceed the 1640' limit set in the app. You will get lots of opinions why that is not a safe thing to do, even if you are an experienced pilot.

I am a new pilot indeed, and please excuse my naiveness but what's wrong with flying above 500m aside legal issues? Only thing I can think of would be planes, but as a responsible flier I'd make sure there's none in my area prior to climbing higher.

If I'm not mistaken the air isn't too thin for Phantom to handle until above 4km, or about 2.5 miles. I've seen many videos of people climbing their drones all the way up to the clouds with no issues.

What was the main reason to go higher than 500m when you are only suppose to go up to 400m in the U.S.? Just to say I did ? Show your buddies ? Impress the girls ? We all would like to do what you are saying , but if you read up on this topic , you might get your hopes dashed. If you do find a way around this limitation , you may find yourself in jail my friend . Just trying to inform you what to expect.

I am a new pilot indeed, and please excuse my naiveness but what's wrong with flying above 500m aside legal issues? Only thing I can think of would be planes, but as a responsible flier I'd make sure there's none in my area prior to climbing higher.

If I'm not mistaken the air isn't too thin for Phantom to handle until above 4km, or about 2.5 miles.

Planes and helicopters are much faster than the Phantom. Even with a spotter you may not have time to react and you already admitted you would not be able to see your drone at those altitudes so you would be completely dependent on the view from the camera FPV which is very limited. Hey, do what you want. I just hate to see something tragic happen that could have been easily avoided by following recommendations from the FAA and the manufacturer. Maybe because I come from a law enforcement background I like to err on the safe side.

By the way, this hobby receives enough bad publicity already. If your actions result in a tragic accident, just think what the effect would be on this hobby and the rest of the pilots who responsibly.

By the way, this hobby receives enough bad publicity already. If your actions result in a tragic accident, just think what the effect would be on this hobby and the rest of the pilots who responsibly.
Not to mention the families affected by his carelessness . Lose control of the drone at a higher altitude doesnt come straight down . Moisture in the electronics could make it lose control, could hit a house, car, people . Just sayin.

Reactions: WWK888
What was the main reason to go higher than 500m when you are only suppose to go up to 400m in the U.S.? Just to say I did ? Show your buddies ? Impress the girls ? We all would like to do what you are saying , but if you read up on this topic , you might get your hopes dashed. If you do find a way around this limitation , you may find yourself in jail my friend . Just trying to inform you what to expect.
It's 400 feet in the US

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

If I'm not mistaken the air isn't too thin for Phantom to handle until above 4km, or about 2.5 miles. I've seen many videos of people climbing their drones all the way up to the clouds with no issues.

Don't be an idiot. 500 meters is already really high and dangerous. If a plane hits your drone it will make worldwide news. It would be a catalyst to strict policies against drones. Think about it.

Reactions: PaulJohn
Agree with all the safety tips. However I was in a situation where getting over 500m would have given me some nice footage. And that is I was ascending along a maountan trying to reach a water fall and came up short. Now in this case air space safety was not a factor as the mountain was a lot taller then 500m. Just scenario I wanted to throw in the mix.

Agree with all the safety tips. However I was in a situation where getting over 500m would have given me some nice footage. And that is I was ascending along a maountan trying to reach a water fall and came up short. Now in this case air space safety was not a factor as the mountain was a lot taller then 500m. Just scenario I wanted to throw in the mix.

Phantom is not that smart. It doesn't understand AGL and ASL, just altitude relative to your starting point. And that one is 500m max. So basically you can fly 6.000m above ground if you start from a cliff at 5.500m but can't climb on top of 500m high hill even if you are never going to be more then 1m above ground.

Reactions: PaulJohn
Thanks guys, you're right, guess I'll have to lower my expectations... [emoji17]

Those were some amazing shots above the clouds the risk takers on YouTube got though!

their is no way you can avoid an aircraft at that height and your a new pilot ummm very irresponsible indeed and if something went wrong you would have to get up there to get the phantom back
someone telling porkies me thinks ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.