Cannot calibrate

Reaction score
For the past week or so, wherever I go I cannot seem to calibrate my P3A's compass.

Every time I tried, using either DJI Go or Litchi gives me the same calibration failure - strong electromagnetic field.

I've been to three locations I've flown from in the past, and I know there's no metal, etc around, but still get the calibration failure.

I've changed batteries, shutdown everything, restarted, etc but still the same problem..

I'm using the latest firmware on the bird, RC and the app.

Any suggestion is welcome, thanks.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

One trick I've read about on this site is sometimes you have to degausse your compass by passing a small magnet around it 360 degrees. This might be in your manual too

Reactions: TerenceM
For the past week or so, wherever I go I cannot seem to calibrate my P3A's compass.
Did this start right after a FW or app upgrade?

You may have seen in the forum that we have recently been getting many people posting new threads asking about suddenly getting compass errors, having compass calibration issues, or rapidly switching between ATTI and GPS modes during flight. Since compass issues are so serious, we'd like to be able to find something common in all of these sudden reports.

Last edited:
Did this start right after a FW or app upgrade?

You may have seen in the forum that we have recently been getting many people posting new threads asking about suddenly getting compass errors, having compass calibration issues, or rapidly switching between ATTI and GPS modes during flight.

I believe it was soon after a RC update.

I have flown with no problems, but within 50 metres from where I stood. I did not dare try anything fancy in case the bird decided to fly away.

In flight rear lights flash green as if there's no problem, but it is worrying.

Every time I tried, using either DJI Go or Litchi gives me the same calibration failure - strong electromagnetic field.
I've been to three locations I've flown from in the past, and I know there's no metal, etc around, but still get the calibration failure.
The first thing to do is to go to the sensors section in the app settings and check the compass.
Find this page and see what is showing for the compass:
i-3L2jQdP-M.png

If you have numbers in the compass data, that's good.
But it's possible that your compass is broken of disconnected, in which case you would have zero on the boxes.
If that's the case, you need a new compass or to reconnect yours.

@ Meta4, checked as you suggested and numbers do show up.
I Aldo tried calibrating the compass on my roof - a few days ago it failed because of magnetic interference - and it worked. But cannot really test the bird as it's about to rain.

@ Meta4, checked as you suggested and numbers do show up.
I Aldo tried calibrating the compass on my roof - a few days ago it failed because of magnetic interference - and it worked. But cannot really test the bird as it's about to rain.
Is that a metal roof or is there reinforced concrete?
If so, that would explain the magnetic interference and it's the last place you should attempt to calibrate the compass.
calibrating anywhere near magnetic interference is asking for trouble.

My house was built in 1755, roofs are stone slabs held up by wooden beams and held together with gravel and cement. No metal whatsoever. Anyway, in between downpours managed to calibrate with no problem. This is all very weird, tomorrow I'll try an open field.

Thanks for your help Meta4

On an unintended lighter note. This morning I sent a message to the DJI retailer - the first note. See his reply!

Attachments

• IMG_1479246501.176786.jpg
    IMG_1479246501.176786.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 243
Reactions: Oso

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members