Can you steal a drone from the air with another remote control or other technique?

No the drone is paired to your RC. Their locked together. At least with the P4P. Also the connection is encrypted.

Now can a signal be jammed. Any radio can be jammed or overloaded but that does not mean a takeover. It be akin to losing signal by being out o f range.

No the drone is paired to your RC. Their locked together. At least with the P4P. Also the connection is encrypted.

Now can a signal be jammed. Any radio can be jammed or overloaded but that does not mean a takeover. It be akin to losing signal by being out o f range.

Maybe if you could make a device that could find the RF frequency that the drone is operating on, then send the signal with a larger amplitude to overpower the DJI transmitter.

Maybe if you could make a device that could find the RF frequency that the drone is operating on, then send the signal with a larger amplitude to overpower the DJI transmitter.

It's more than just the frequency. When the aircraft (Rx) and Transmitter/Radio (Tx) are "Bound" together they are encoded so they are only "accepting" information from the right "code". This allows two systems to be on or near the same frequency and not "Shoot" each other down.

It's a LOT more complicated than I described but for the context of the question that should help to explain why you can't "steal" the aircraft with another Transmitter. They have to be BOUND or they don't talk and the binding process has to be done in a very specific and controlled manner or it doesn't happen at all.

Mindful of the forum rules so won’t post links however simple google searches will reveal a proven exploit where the P3 standard can be hijacked and flown by the attacker. There is also a recent demonstrated exploit for the spark. I’m any case simple RF jamming will force the AC into RTH failsafe regardless of what model it is.

And if anyone does work out what I'm talking about, maybe best not to post publicly.

Well, operator iniated Atti mode ignores GPS in manual navigation.

So GPS spoofing is one way to redirect or ‘steal’ aircraft and is known to have been used in other situations.

I don’t think it can’t be discussed here short of publishing plans or sources of hardware and software capable of accomplishing it.
It’s not in and of itself a secret.

Fortunately it’s illegal in the USA and there has been recent testing in the US to try and secure the link. These tests are made known so civil entities are not adversely affected.

Well, operator iniated Atti mode ignores GPS in manual navigation.

So GPS spoofing is one way to redirect or ‘steal’ aircraft and is known to have been used in other situations.

I don’t think it can’t be discussed here short of publishing plans or sources of hardware and software capable of accomplishing it.
It’s not in and of itself a secret.

Fortunately it’s illegal in the USA and there has been recent testing in the US to try and secure the link. These tests are made known so civil entities are not adversely affected.

Not secret no, but you've just enabled someone out there by giving them the idea they'd not thought of. How long before drone jammers play with this? Or worse... Not everyone stays legal.

There are jammers that can force the phantom to land or RTL

Yes, but they are illegal to use in the USA except for Federal Authorities.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl