Can you have too many drones?

As usual, I have gone overboard with my hobby. I now have a P3P, a Mavic Pro, and a Spark. Now this (my better half tells me) is ridiculous. I have to agree, it is a bit obsessive. So, which two to keep? I am thinking maybe the Spark for general mucking around, then one of the others. But which one? I like the portability of the Mavic, but I also like the stability of the P3P. Pose value gives the P3P a slight edge - they are an attention grabbing machine. I can’t tell the difference in photo and video quality with the stuff I take. I’ll also post this on the Mavivpilots site. It will be interesting to compare results.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Hide one in the closet and tell the wife you sold it... (at least for now) ..
Take the money from the "drone sale" and buy your wife something special..
Your world will again be balanced.

I’m with the N+1 or even +X with X being an infinite number! Simply, you can only have one wife at a time, at least in the Western World but you can NEVER note the capitals ever have enough Drones. Especially the DJI Birds. I have 2 getting ready for 3 and now with my 107 it’s a business expense! A win win! Go easy on the wife though. Mines put up with my nonsense for 36+ years now, she loves me. At 56 and retired, She also knows me all to well,lol!

I have 3 drones and don’t intend to sell any of them. The depreciation keeps me from selling any of them because I just can’t feel like I’m giving something away. I fly them all but tend to use the M2P for work.

As usual, I have gone overboard with my hobby. I now have a P3P, a Mavic Pro, and a Spark. Now this (my better half tells me) is ridiculous. I have to agree, it is a bit obsessive. So, which two to keep? I am thinking maybe the Spark for general mucking around, then one of the others. But which one? I like the portability of the Mavic, but I also like the stability of the P3P. Pose value gives the P3P a slight edge - they are an attention grabbing machine. I can’t tell the difference in photo and video quality with the stuff I take. I’ll also post this on the Mavivpilots site. It will be interesting to compare results.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Tell your wife you saw this guy on Phantom Pilots that has 13 drones, but don't tell her I'm single. I use them to test my camera repairs, so it's a business excuse. I would try to entice her into going flying with you sometime, take a picnic lunch and make a fun day out of it. If that gets her interested in flying, put a big bow on one of them and give it to her on her birthday. Good luck!!

Getting the perfect drone is like getting the perfect camera bag ... impossible. Different needs require different camera bags. BUT ... having said that, I would sell all three and use the proceeds to buy a Mavic 2 Pro. Great camera, great stability, great portability, great communications technology to/from drone and controller, great flight time.

Keeping everything charged and updated is the problem. At one time I had a Mavic Pro and a Phantom 4 Pro. Loved both of them for their strong points. But 8 batteries for the drones, 2 for the CrystalSky, the iPad, the controller, 2 LumeCubes, 4 Firehouse strobes. I was spending more time charging batteries than flying. Sold the Mavic Pro and now have only the Phantom 4 Pro. It's less portable, but the photos and videos are the best. Also needed two drones, one as a backup, when I was doing construction sites and other time sensitive jobs. I would rather not do the time sensitive jobs as weather is always a problem and will stick with the less demanding jobs with only one drone. Just waiting for the P4P replacement and it will be time to purge and start all over.

Married 35 years, 4 kids (Two Natural, Two foster) along with 3 Sparks, a Mavic Air, Mavic 2 Zoom, P4P V2.0 and an Inspire 1 V2.0 .. It does help that the aircraft are helping feed an house the Mrs and the Kids but she was mostly cool with it anyway, well there was this one time she said "Either they go or I go" but after hours and hours of pathetic pleading and grovelling ..... I let her back in. It been fine since then ;)

Some are good
More is Better
Too Many? Just right!

Regards
Ari

Reactions: skymonkey
I thought I was the only one that bought too many drones, I've got four(4) and every day I say "I need to sell three(3) these drones as I can only fly one at a time. But as usual I think up a reason to keep them a little longer.

Perhaps it's a ratio related thing? If your wife starts to object at 3 then get a second wife and you can have 5 without objection and they both get annoyed when you get 6 ... at which point you get a third w ... never mind, becoming awfully expensive this hobby if that's the case, besides you'd never get time free to fly :p

Married 35 years, 4 kids (Two Natural, Two foster) along with 3 Sparks, a Mavic Air, Mavic 2 Zoom, P4P V2.0 and an Inspire 1 V2.0 .. It does help that the aircraft are helping feed an house the Mrs and the Kids but she was mostly cool with it anyway, well there was this one time she said "Either they go or I go" but after hours and hours of pathetic pleading and grovelling ..... I let her back in. It been fine since then ;)

Some are good
More is Better
Too Many? Just right!

Regards
Ari

Yes I must agree, Keep ALL OF THEM, I have three and to be honest I'd have three more eventually LOL
Just have fun flying them...... !!!
SteveP55

I have a Mavic Pro, Mavic 2 Pro, and two Phantom 4 Pro's. I haven't flown the Mavic for nearly 6 months now. I have two P4p's because I found an excellent deal on a nearly new one. I'm a big fan of the camera on the P4P and I'm afraid they are going to take these drones off the market. Nice to have a backup. I find myself using the Mavic 2 Pro the most for the work I'm doing. The Hasselblad camera is nice and I especially like the Hyperlight since I gravitate to shooting predawn and twlight images.

It is reasonable to have as much as you really need unless you are collector and wsnt to have all the fleet to watch it every day.
I have P3A, MavAir and P4P+. The problem is that the first one haven't been used for almost a year as I can't figure out why it should be. So it is in hands of another member of the family.
You simply can not fly with more than one in a time. Maybe P3A will be for backup in case.

Reactions: UtahDroneMan801
I have a variety,From the Dromida ominus, A couple Holy stone. Parrot to a Yuneec Breeze. Q-500 The Tello a P-4
and many others. And I am not getting rid of any of them. I am waiting to see what DJI does next before I buy more
and more. LOL

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20