Can I Do This in RTH Mode?

Reaction score
The past couple of flights, I used RTH (Smart RTH) so my P4 could fly home. However, both times, it came in too hot and bounced a bit on touchdown. It didn't flip over or break anything (as seen at the end of this video).

As a new drone pilot, how can I take control of the aircraft at 3 meters (10 feet) in order to land it myself? What are the steps and what are any precautions? Does this work in other RTH modes such as Failsafe RTH or Low Battery RTH?

Thanks!

Thow can I take control of the aircraft at 3 meters (10 feet) in order to land it myself?
Quickly press and release the RTH button on the front of the remote controller. That will cancel the RTH. You might want to do it before it reaches 3 meters though. As you found, it comes down pretty hot.

phantom_3_advpro_controller_3.jpg

Does this work in other RTH modes such as Failsafe RTH or Low Battery RTH?
Yes.

Last edited:
Thanks, @msinger.

If I push this button, do I need to allow time to swipe an acknowledgement on the Go app screen? Or is the swiping only if I press the icon on the screen (as opposed to the hardware button)?

Thanks in advance!

You don't need to swipe. Just press and release the RTH button.

you may also want to land by catching the craft by hand. it'll save you from bumpy landings as well as prevent the problems usually caused by landing on grass or sand.

watch a few youtube vids before you try it for the first time though. there are important techniques to this that you'll need to understand. gl

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

you may also want to land by catching the craft by hand.
Thanks!

I learned to fly with inexpensive quadcopters and we would—quite often—catch those by hand.

Reactions: eneilsen
Can I ask why you use the RTH rather than flying it yourself? Also the catch option is great, I love using this. I'm a noice myself only had it a few week.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Can I ask why you use the RTH rather than flying it yourself?
I'm just trying out all the features. I trained on quadcopters in full manual mode with no GPS, so I typically land it myself.

I fly mostly using Litchi and find that, as usual, I can initiate RTH by hitting the RTH button twice. If I think it's coming in too hot or in the wrong location for touchdown, I can override the drone movement without cancelling RTH simply by moving the sticks to slow or modify the drone's descent. Coming in too hot? I give it a little up on the left stick to slow it down.

The past couple of flights, I used RTH (Smart RTH) so my P4 could fly home. However, both times, it came in too hot and bounced a bit on touchdown. It didn't flip over or break anything (as seen at the end of this video).

As a new drone pilot, how can I take control of the aircraft at 3 meters (10 feet) in order to land it myself? What are the steps and what are any precautions? Does this work in other RTH modes such as Failsafe RTH or Low Battery RTH?

Thanks!
...SoCal, 'CANCEL' apparently DJI decided that RTH is an Emergency Situation, the Craft will RTH in Sport Mode, BTW my P4 SHUTS-OFF @10% Batt...
IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net

...SoCal, 'CANCEL' apparently DJI decided that RTH is an Emergency Situation, the Craft will RTH in Sport Mode, BTW my P4 SHUTS-OFF @10% Batt...
IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net
Shuts off? Like simply falls out of the sky?

NoCo Drones

Shuts off? Like simply falls out of the sky?

NoCo Drones
...SoCal, short answer YES, I've never allowed it to.. in other words I make sure i'm not more than an inch or so above the deck, in fact at approx 12%
it attempts to Auto-Land (Critical Batt Setting)(seems intermittent).. but with only 2% actual remaining I wouldn't trust it.. I've seen it go from 12% to 10% in just a very few seconds.. just something to be aware of and keep in mind...
IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers