can any one explain to me the battery C rating and charging

Reaction score
Guys i fly rc planes and have some pretty awesome rc chargers capable of charging up to 20Amps
when you look at the dji charger it looks as if it is just a 12 vold source going into the battery
does any one know if it is posssible to charge the DJI battteries at more then 4 Amps?
(rating of the supplied charger)

Re: can any one explain to me the battery C rating and charg

The DJI charger is just a power supply. The charging circuits are all inside the smart battery cap.
There's no direct access to the battery terminals or balance port. Unless you want to open it up, it is what it is.

Good info here on C ratings and all about liPo batteries
http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html

I do understand all about lipo batteries etc
just was wanting to charger the 3s DJI lipo battery quicker and safely...

eg on a balance board with a high end charging unit.

It won't work , I hAve a powerlab 8 and can't use it. Just buy a couple of battery's and some DJI chargers.

It won't work , I hAve a powerlab 8 and can't use it. Just buy a couple of battery's and some DJI chargers.

why wont it work?
do these batteries not have a balance lead?
if that is so then how does it know how well each cell is charging?

the answer you gave is a very costly one..

You can charge the P2 batteries faster by using a 12.6V power supply with a higher amperage. The internal charging circuit of the battery doesn't seem to limit the charging current and for best battery life it is recommended not to exceed 1C which in the case of the P2 batteries is 5.2 Amps.
You can also charge the batteries with an multi charger that has a Lead Acid Charging feature. Set the to Lead Acid 6 cells charging and limit the Amps at or below 5.2 Amps. You need to power on the P2 battery before starting to charge otherwise the charger will give a "no battery" Error.

shane_hood said:
why wont it work?
do these batteries not have a balance lead?
if that is so then how does it know how well each cell is charging?

the answer you gave is a very costly one..
No. They do not have a balance lead. If there is one, it's soldered to the internal charging circuit boards under the cap.
Even the battery connector is not a direct connection to the battery, it goes through the charging board. The "smart battery" has it's own balance charger built in.
There's no direct access to the battery unless you break it open and cut wires.

understand
i dont want to go damaging the smart battery circuitry by pumping in more amps. they have kept it all very propriatery havent hey

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4