Can a second phone connect to Wifi?

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am new to the forum and currently awaiting arrival of my Phantom 3 Standard. I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to connect a second cell phone or tablet to the Wi-Fi signal from the transmitter so that another person can view the flight?

No. You can only connect one device via Wi-Fi at a time.

You could get a device that has an HDMI out (like the Nvidia Shield K1) and output the video to a second device.

Here's my experience...

Several months ago I upgraded my cheap tablet to a K1. I began using the K1 for flight and regulated the cheap tablet (see sig) for Flytrex Live 3G. And early on, I had found that the K1 would not automatically reconnect to the Phantom's wifi if the wifi signal was broken but later became available. So what I would do is grab my other tablet, drop the flytrex app, launch my flight app, and it would instantly connect to the Phantom via its wifi. I could then fly FPV with my second tablet on the same flight I had started with the first tablet - instantly and seamlessly.

What I learned later is the K1 wouldn't reconnect because the signal it senses from the Phantom was not an internet signal (and it is programmed to assume I don't want that signal since it's not internet), but I could reconnect manually by going to Settings in the K1.

So the question is, would my cheap tablet have displayed the FPV screen via the flight app if the K1 happened to be connected?

I don't know.

I know there is some sort of "handshake" that goes on re FPV, but I don't know if it's between the Phantom and the range extender of the controller, or if it also involves the tablet. I have a feeling the handshake may not involve the tablet.

I will test this in a day or two or three.

If you have ios devices and use litchi, then you can use litchi vue, that allows a scond device to view the video feed and some basic telemetry. You will need a hotspot to connect to, i use a mini 4 connected via 5ghz to a battery operated access point, i then connect either another mini 4 or mini 2 to view the feed
It works really well for me

I just checked and msinger is correct as stated in post 2. A second tablet will seem to connect and it will even say "connected" at the top, but the FPV screen remains black and there is no telemetry other than the five bars showing a good wifi signal from the AC. That is the only telemetry that works.

If the first device becomes disconnected, then the second device connects almost instantly. But clearly, the firmware is written so that it won't allow two devices to display FPV at one time.

I connect my appletv to my phantom wifi & then mirror my iPhone. Works great. I like it better than using a cable on my pro since I'm not limited by the length of my hdmi cable.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31