Camera settings for lightning

Reaction score
What camera settings would you recommend for trying to get video of lightning at night with a P3 standard?

What camera settings would you recommend for trying to get video of lightning at day? Should I take off any filters (like the polarizer)?

A few times in the last three weeks thunderstorms rolled by. The storms did not pass over my location, but there was significant lightning at a distance. It was safe enought to fly my P3 standard about 300 hundred feet. The lightning looked spectacular, but my night time video recording was terrible.

Any ideas on this topic?

Thanks

marko

It was safe enought to fly my P3 standard about 300 hundred feet.
Distant lightning at night from my point is trial and error. During the day it should be much easier, if it is within a few miles. You have to open the aperture too far at night for long exposure time. These shots are few and far between an rather difficult to get unless you are simply lucky. If you want video snapshots, you need to shoot at 60fps or preferably higher. They can be grainy, but at times pure luck will get you one or two..

Snapshot - 18.jpg
Snapshot - 1.jpg

What camera settings would you recommend for trying to get video of lightning at night with a P3 standard?

What camera settings would you recommend for trying to get video of lightning at day? Should I take off any filters (like the polarizer)?

A few times in the last three weeks thunderstorms rolled by. The storms did not pass over my location, but there was significant lightning at a distance. It was safe enought to fly my P3 standard about 300 hundred feet. The lightning looked spectacular, but my night time video recording was terrible.

Any ideas on this topic?

Thanks

marko
I agree with Flydawg, I've found that the only reliable way to get good shots of lightning is to use video at 30 or 60 fps and then take a screen shot of the frames you like. If it is light enough to show color the noise (grain) should not be too bad.
ss2 copy.jpg

Reactions: Geodude
Rather tha using screen grabs, use the video from the SD card. Ideally shoot in 4K. Then using a video editing program find the frames you want and export them. They will be much sharper, and the color more accurate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4