Simple camera settings for Dummies ?? Any ?

Reaction score
OK ... as a rank outsider when it comes to video and camera settings .......... I run default usually as I have never been a camera buff. I have owned Instamatic / cartridge cameras most of my life, I did have (still in the drawer actually) a Zenit SLR 35mm but that soon got put away and back to Fujishot Digital ! and only a few years back invested in a Fujifilm digital SLR ...

So anyone following my crappy videos will know that one of my last - I actually altered the EV on my P3P !! WOW instant improvement.

So my post is to start a thread to get SIMPLE numbers that even an idiot can use to improve his videos / photos.

I ask that it be kept to a simple base line style ... as example ...

Cloud Cover in 8ths as per forecasts
Lighting in terms of Night, twilight, dull grey, grey, part sun, sunny, blue sky bright
Snow, green field, earth, water
ISO
Shutter speed
Aperture

That would as I assume produce colour and contrast settings to use for each as an average.

As to video resolution - I notice that 4K frame produces a black top and bottom border in 16x9 and side borders if 4x3 .... not only that but the P3P limits to 24fps in 4K - so I shoot now in 1920x1080 50fps - now frame fills 16x9 fully and no stuttering in yaw.

Therefore - I invite all to list up some example settings so guys like me who want to learn can start to use and experiment with.

I have deliberately left out Filters as not everyone has them - but we all have cameras that can have settings altered.

So keep it simple - techno babble please to another thread if you wish ... just simple example setups ..

Thanks

Hope it works ..

Nigel

Yep - found that and others - seems some advise - figures and others say + .............

I think like me - many people don't want to get into Post Production and would like a simple set that gives reasonable results straight of the SD card ?

Cheers
Nigel

V
Yep - found that and others - seems some advise - figures and others say + .............

I think like me - many people don't want to get into Post Production and would like a simple set that gives reasonable results straight of the SD card ?

Cheers
Nigel
Video without postproduction are waste of time.

I understand what you say - but I don't think most owners are actually that bothered about being super duper with the vids.

I agree that stunning results are possible ...

When I say Post Production - we all do PP - but usually its just a little tweaking and cutting to produce a shorter video from the 15 - 18mins total recorded.
Full on PP of RAW footage ?

Nigel

I understand what you say - but I don't think most owners are actually that bothered about being super duper with the vids.

I agree that stunning results are possible ...

When I say Post Production - we all do PP - but usually its just a little tweaking and cutting to produce a shorter video from the 15 - 18mins total recorded.
Full on PP of RAW footage ?

Nigel

With PP i mean cuting, mounting, editing, adjusting, cropping and more. RAW use in photos, not videos.

Well thanks for all that now how about some others laying some #'s out on this .
I'm curios also .

Reactions: Zwhitz

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4