Camera got wet

Reaction score
Well, the unthinkable has happened, while flying my 1 week old Phantom I hit a tree branch 6 feet above a little creek, the Phantom lost control and crashed into the side of a muddy bank. Battery dislodged and fell into a puddle, camera got wet and my heart missed a few beats.

After letting everything dry out for a couple of days it looks like the battery is toast, it still seems to work because it will start up the Phantom, the gimbal will do its thing and everything looks fine. But the battery is acting strange will turn itself on and off. (Have a new one on order).

My camera now has a water spot smack in the middle and inside of the lens, the foggy spot is very noticeable when recording video or taking pictures. I am at a loss and don"t know what to do? Buying a new $500 camera is out of the question, wifey would never allow this.
I was thinking of removing the 4 screws at the back of the camera and see if there is a way to get at the lens to clean it.
Any help would be so appreciated!!!

Your battery also sounds like its still got some water in the top and is shutting its self off. That might be a lil bit more tricky to get it to air out on its own being its pretty tight with no holes or many gaps except for around the button.

You are correct I am having problems with my battery. The lights are always on even when I turn the battery off, a few minutes later the led lights on the battery are back on. I did take the P3A for a test flight yesterday and sure enough it fell right out of the sky, but I was prepared as it was only 6 feet up over tall grass so no damage done. But what I thought was very concerning, was the fact that after 15 min of flight, my app still showed an almost fully charged battery, voltage was also 17.1V, battery supper hot after flight.
Not sure what to do maybe the super hot battery has tried itself out now? I do have another battery on order but it wont ship for another 20 days.

On a positive note, thanks to Altanore my camera issue is now fixed!

Last edited:
Reactions: Altanore
image.jpg

Sorry to hear about the crash. I know you will never feel like you did before the crash, but i hope you can solve all problems in an easy way.

Reactions: SkyDove
I believe the way to safely discharge a battery before disposal is to put it into water, so if yours has been in water, it may not be a great idea to use it unless you're absolutely certain it has recovered.
It might be safer to consider it a write off, or use it only for times you need to power the bird up for updates etc, and only use your replacement you've ordered, for all your flying needs - after all, that battery is basically what's holding the bird up in the air, so it's just not worth taking any risks by using one you're not 100% certain about.

Reactions: Akrosfer
Hey SkyDove,
Welcome to the party!! Perhaps Not the most fun entry, into the forum pages here. But you have already been helped, with the lens removal, that you cleaned. So, that's a partial great beginning, and tomorrow will always be many better days ahead.

Wishing you well, with your Phantom repairs and recovery, & only good luck, with your future flights.

RedHotPoker

Thanks everyone for your help and words of encouragement, I 'll definitely will be sticking around!

i had the same issue, but now there is moisture behind the screwable lens cover. Took the back cover off and removed the board. it seems to be pressed in. Any thoughts?

Hello. Today my phantom 4 landed on a 8 cm deep pool. Now a "camera sensor error" message and camera does not funtion. Camera is spending night inside pot que of rise, hoping tomorrow will work.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.