Camera/Gimbal Repairs

Reaction score
Is there any point sending a unit with a broken gimbal for repair? If there are no spare parts, the Phantom is just going to gather dust somewhere.

Any recommendations on what to do - other than buying something less fragile and eating the loss?

These gimbals are pretty poor. Mine didn't even exactly crash it was more of a heavy landing and the gimbal wentt all mad and keeps changing direction about a couple of minutes later. I swear it was weak from arrival to be honest!

lucky118 said:
These gimbals are pretty poor. Mine didn't even exactly crash it was more of a heavy landing and the gimbal wentt all mad and keeps changing direction about a couple of minutes later. I swear it was weak from arrival to be honest!

Don't know but i can only assume...
The IMU (gyro) talks to the gimbal to assist in the stabilisation calcs.
If the gyro on the phantom has something to do with the gimbal then the 3rd yaw brush is having problems stabilising.
In a 2D system, the problem isnt relevant as it will probably either tilt back or tilt left. With the 3rd (yaw) axis, it then must figure out the fwd/back and left/right whilst spinning (if that makes sense).

A simple test you can do to see if the camera aint calibrated with the Phantom is to hold the phantom on awkward angles until the camera stops dancing/moving. This is where all 3 motors are agreeing with IMU. Recalibration will then reset/re-align camera with phantom and phantom with the horizon.

Keep the phantom off and make sure she is cold.
Start the Phantom assistant goto the IMU calibration screen (where you see the gyro/compass data).
Find a perfectly flat surface (use a level).
Plug the phantom in and the moment you turn her on, run the advanced IMU calibration. It will warn you that it will take 5
minutes.

The reason for the immediate calibration is the software will warn you that the MC is too hot.

If that fails. Try the basic IMU calibration.
Please let me know if this works. It will definitely help the community.

Hmm interesting, had a go but to no avail sadly. Strange thing is when the copter is pretty much upside down the camera keeps still but i think this is just a coincedence rather than it being happy as it in no way stabilises or anything.

Thanks for the advice though, also as you say interesting to note for anyone else

Anyone had any luck obtaining a camera ribbon cable for a vision plus? mine snapped as the camera fell off after a moderate landing, the camera gimbal seems to be a magnetic connection.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl