Camera Gimbal Guard

Reaction score
Hi ya all.My camera hits the gimbal guard of my P3 Advanced on start up and in simulated flight.I so far have bought 3 and they all do this! If I bought extended legs then the bird would be top heavy and what about the 4 aerials or whatever you call them that are in the legs?Wouldn't they then be too short?

Hi ya all.My camera hits the gimbal guard of my P3 Advanced on start up and in simulated flight.I so far have bought 3 and they all do this! If I bought extended legs then the bird would be top heavy and what about the 4 aerials or whatever you call them that are in the legs?Wouldn't they then be too short?

Hi gagetman, what do you mean by "camera hits the gimbal guard"?

Since you posted a question at Pro/Adv I assume you own a P3P or P3A. A gimbal guard should be removed before you start your AC otherwise you will get gimbal overload error.

I don't use extended landing gears but I suppose you can use them without a problem. You should measure them to see how much extra weight those landing gears are but I guess it's insignificant. The 4 aerials are called "Antenna", when you open the shell there is a little extra cable length of each stock antenna (1/2" maybe?) that you can stretch it out. Do these extended landing gears with a longer antenna?

• Sad
Reactions: JoBe and gagetman
These extended landing gears work with stock antennas and compass and don't require extra cable length
1542906996578.jpg
1542907002353.jpg

Attachments

• 1542906894686.jpg
    1542906894686.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 149
Reactions: gagetman
Remove the "Gimbal Guard"..... and set it back about a 1/2 to 3/4s of a inch..Mark the area where the webbing needs to be cut at on the gimbal guard with a felt tip marker that it needs to fit between and use a Dremel with a cut off wheel or a piece of a fine toothed hardware blade to cut new slots for the gears webbing.....No more touches of the camera what works FOR me can sure work for others Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !

Oh longer landing gear might be OK....but it can make it much easier to tip over on a non smooth surface..:oops:..the gear extenders would be my choice ! The best of Luck what ever you do.;)

IF you need a picture of what needs to be done.......reply here OR send me a PM here ;)

Last edited:
Hi ya all.My camera hits the gimbal guard of my P3 Advanced on start up and in simulated flight.I so far have bought 3 and they all do this!
Just a quick thing to check since we don't have a photo to verify - is the guard installed backwards?
I'm asking because we used to regularly see people attach the guard to the landing gear backwards which resulted in the camera hitting the guard at start up.
Hopefully it's something that easy.

Remove the "Gimbal Guard"..... and set it back about a 1/2 to 3/4s of a inch..Mark the area where the webbing needs to be cut at on the gimbal guard with a felt tip marker that it needs to fit between and use a Dremel with a cut off wheel or a piece of a fine toothed hardware blade to cut new slots for the gears webbing.....No more touches of the camera what works FOR me can sure work for others Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !

Oh longer landing gear might be OK....but it can make it much easier to tip over on a non smooth surface..:oops:..the gear extenders would be my choice ! The best of Luck what ever you do.;)

IF you need a picture of what needs to be done.......reply here OR send me a PM here ;)
Hey Hi Mr.Motorcycle - Man.What's ya real name? Mine's Vaughan and I'm a South African.Now you and misinger are definitely the men who can always help me a great deal.Thanks.That piece of ingenuity about the cutting in new grooves on each side of the gimbal guard is a great idea! Now let me see if I've got this right. I must mark the grooves/slots back 1/2 to 3/4's of a inch(what's that in cm. here)on each side of the gimbal guard and dremel cut them in not so?The pic will confirm if I'm right.Thanks.I will go with the extended landing skids instead of the top heavy legs thanks.The set of extended landing legs I got from Amazon which I sent back were kinda of a sloppy fit and very soft Got another set from EBay and it seems they are ALL the same

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Just a quick thing to check since we don't have a photo to verify - is the guard installed backwards?
I'm asking because we used to regularly see people attach the guard to the landing gear backwards which resulted in the camera hitting the guard at start up.
NO.You can't fit the camera gimble guard back to front. It's name is Neewer from Amazon.I now have to cut the slots out towards the rear of the camera gimble guard A photo would not have helped.Their drone is advertised the same way as I would have given you the photo.

NO. You can't fit the camera gimble guard back to front.
It's name is Neewer from Amazon... A photo would not have helped.
Their drone is advertised the same way as I would have given you the photo.
My apologies. If I had been more thorough, I might have blindly guessed from your original post the exact brand of each guard you purchased and then gone to their web sites to see photos of how you installed the guards on your drone.

I feel bad for only offering you a tip based on what we have seen other people do with their guards. In hindsight, I should have been more thoughtful.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe and gagetman
Hi Oso.Don't feel bad.Every bit of help and advice is welcome.These online stores are NOT honest about this particular product that they are ALL selling.I thought I'd done my "homework" thoroughly on each different manufacture which there where many of(50+- of only the ones I really took note of.But like I said only seeing is believing and I'm in South Africa so I have to bite the bullet as to send their junk back would cost me triple the amount I paid and the frustration spent on all that wasted time spent on the internet looking for the right one)Some even tell you it's carbon fibre.Like happened to me and it was just cheap old plastic and the landing leg extension skids were crummy,soft,pliable plastic junk!This was a combo deal by ThreeKing on Amazon.Anyhow now we all know thanks to MotorCycle-Man that all we have to do is cut in new slots further back on the camera gimble guard's to enable the camera to clear it.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
I sent YOU a PM message Gadget man....and asked you a few questions too !

Reactions: gagetman
Hi Oso.Don't feel bad.Every bit of help and advice is welcome. . . .

LOL. Some people just don't recognize sarcasm even though it smacks them in the face like a bag of coins.

Reactions: Oso
My apologies. If I had been more thorough, I might have blindly guessed from your original post the exact brand of each guard you purchased and then gone to their web sites to see photos of how you installed the guards on your drone.

I feel bad for only offering you a tip based on what we have seen other people do with their guards. In hindsight, I should have been more thoughtful.
Tell me who has been salcastic here?We don't have bags of coins in Africa.....only miely pips

Ah us Africans take a while to see your sarcasm. But is it necessary when we are all SUPPOSED to be helping one another?Lotsa constructive help coming through here.Don't have the time to go back to your thread to see if it is constructive or salcastic!

What are you thinking about Gary?Oso was being salcastic and me not reading into his sarcasm only thought he was been appologetic.Not needed here!

Hi gagetman, what do you mean by "camera hits the gimbal guard"?

Since you posted a question at Pro/Adv I assume you own a P3P or P3A. A gimbal guard should be removed before you start your AC otherwise you will get gimbal overload error.

I don't use extended landing gears but I suppose you can use them without a problem. You should measure them to see how much extra weight those landing gears are but I guess it's insignificant. The 4 aerials are called "Antenna", when you open the shell there is a little extra cable length of each stock antenna (1/2" maybe?) that you can stretch it out. Do these extended landing gears with a longer antenna?

Hi,
I’m back after many moons.The gimbal guard is there to protect the camera when landing onto an object sticking higher up than the camera? Why then take it off every time you start up.I’ve secured mine down with cable ties just like Motor Cycle Man told me.

Hi Motor Cycle Man.Long time no hear.I’m totally confused now.Why must I take the gimbal guard off every time before starting the AC? How does this effect gimbal calibration?

Hi,
I’m back after many moons.The gimbal guard is there to protect the camera when landing onto an object sticking higher up than the camera? Why then take it off every time you start up.I’ve secured mine down with cable ties just like Motor Cycle Man told me.
Vaughan, note that your original question was in reference to a guard attached at the bottom of the landing gear whereas the comment about removing before starting was in reference to the gimbal lock such as this one:

Phantom 3 gimbal lock (Small).jpg

Note that I am answering because @edmundC has not logged in for coming on 2 years already. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl