CALL FROM THE FAA

I just wanna lay it on the table... I believe they called you and thanks for posting this.

(and don't you just enjoy these constitutional lawyers we have here?)

S
I believe he got a call from them as well.
He has posted several legitimate reasons the FAA could feel the need to call, either from his youtube videos, his website, or the video of his Dad's property with the phone number posted on it.
There have been several anecdotal stories on this forum of people getting calls from the FAA to make me think there is an element of truth - where there is smoke there is fire - as the saying goes.

Some of you may remember someone posting here who represented themselves as an FAA investigator? He posted some general warnings about how to avoid getting their (the FAA's) attention and of course was ridiculed, called a troll, and pretty much chased off the list after one thread. If I remember correctly, two of the moderators here verified (from information he provided to them) that he was legit.

So yeah, in this new era of small unmanned aircraft in the nation's airspace, being piloted many times by people who are inexperienced and lack knowledge and could be viewed as dangerous, the FAA may be trying new tactics that provide faster results than snail mail.
I doubt they have any intention of prosecuting, but a "hey, this is a warning, and yes, we are watching" statement from a phone call makes sense to me.

*Edit: Just want to clarify RiverPhantom, I don't think you are inexperienced or dangerous - you clearly know how to fly and have a talent for telling a story with your films.
As Dirk might say; "But Youngblood...."

Last edited:
Yes they did they called me, it was the local FAA.

Sent from my iPod touch using PhantomPilots mobile app
I just want to say that I looked at your YouTube site and I think it's great. You are a talented young man. If you've recently cleaned it up, good for you. My guess is the FAA is working off a tip, which they can't and shouldn't ignore. A friendly call was a good way to handle it.
As a result, until things are more clarified, I've decided to keep my youtube private and use a more secure method of sharing with my friends.

Admit I didn't read every thread but...
Federal agencies don't generally call persons to inform them to do this or that.
If an authentic contact is to be made it will be by US Mail and sometimes certified mail return receipt requested. I'd be very suspicious of this phone call and we all know you can spoof phone numbers.
It's kinda like the annual IRS scam and the Jury Duty scam.

Reactions: m0j0
Yea those points made numerous times in this thread as well as previous ones along with other instances of legit calls from the FAA to other 'pilots'.
Not saying this instance is or isn't legit but rather it has similarities to others.

Reactions: riverphantom3
Here is one of the videos the FAA told me to removed, I did.
So what was the reasoning for them wanting removal of that video? Seems fine to me... was it because you were over the road?

Also, while I agree, the government typically does not use telephone as a way to communicate, they may be in this instance (and others) as it is not really an 'official' communication, just a "letting you know" sort of thing. No one who has claimed a call has been charged or fined for anything. If RB gets a letter we will all be anxiously waiting to see it.

Reactions: Sagebrush
Let's summarize:
  • The FAA calls people. They have phones. They use them.
  • The FAA sends letters too. Plenty of examples online.
  • The FAA does this to protect the airspace. That is their job.
  • The FAA got their wrist slapped already for asking people to remove videos so this case is unusual in that respect. Maybe this inspector didn't get the memo.
  • The FAA has jurisdiction over your drone use. If you break any of their "advisories", they can opt to treat your drone as an aircraft and pursue action against you for numerous violations.
So, unless you're the kind of person who likes to run red lights and speed through residential neighborhoods, do as you do when you drive a car. Obey the rules so everyone can be safe. And remember, while you're sitting on the ground, there are people up there.

So what was the reasoning for them wanting removal of that video? Seems fine to me... was it because you were over the road?

Also, while I agree, the government typically does not use telephone as a way to communicate, they may be in this instance (and others) as it is not really an 'official' communication, just a "letting you know" sort of thing. No one who has claimed a call has been charged or fined for anything. If RB gets a letter we will all be anxiously waiting to see it.
At the end they claimed I was over 400 feet, this is the corrected video

Well, their singer is a commercial pilot as well. He's flown some pretty high profile flights, including RAF pilots, rescued UK citizens, football teams, and an injured turtle! So, why not! :)

Bruce Dickinson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
OK, I'm fine with the lead singer piloting the plane. The 747 seems, well, just a tad large. Although the nice article says they are touring with 20 tons of equipment. Must be old tube amps....

At the end they claimed I was over 400 feet, this is the corrected video

Corrected video? So you re-shot the video and that is what you linked to? Or is the linked video the same exact one they were referring too? If you were over 400 it couldn't of been by much... curious, are you an AMA member? If so, the AMA claims the 400" rule doesn't apply to them in many circumstances.

Only my take but appears to be promotion of his company (logo bottom right) for commercial work without a 333 exemption.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Corrected video? So you re-shot the video and that is what you linked to? Or is the linked video the same exact one they were referring too? If you were over 400 it couldn't of been by much... curious, are you an AMA member? If so, the AMA claims the 400" rule doesn't apply to them in many circumstances.
No I corrected the video, edited the previous video. I'm not an AMA

Only my take but appears to be promotion of his company (logo bottom right) for commercial work without a 333 exemption.

That was my thought as well. Great video (it really is) looked a bit like an advertisement for his website/business.

That was my thought as well. Great video (it really is) looked a bit like an advertisement for his website/business.
Maybe he needs to change it to "RiverBrooksHobbyFunOnlyVideos".

Maybe he needs to change it to "RiverBrooksHobbyFunOnlyVideos".
Maybe, but if the original poster will answer this question is his intent to market himself commercially or not?

Let's summarize:
  • The FAA got their wrist slapped already for asking people to remove videos so this case is unusual in that respect. Maybe this inspector didn't get the memo.

But as riverphantom3 points out, the objection to the video seems to be on the basis of 'your doing it wrong' rather than being a commercial venture. Not sure that would hold up in a court fight, but the OP has (wisely) decided not to bankrupt himself fighting the big boys and girls.

Really nice video and talented operator.

Reactions: JBG
This has been an interesting thread for sure & I waiting to see the FAA letter, but I'm more concerned about the attitude of folks like WetDog. Why does a band "need" a 747? Well why does WetDog "need" a Phantom. Why does WetDog need a savings account? Wouldn't that money be better served help the poor that sitting in a bank account. Sir that need question is a very slippery slope. I would encourage everyone to stay off that slope before you find yourself on the receiving end of the question.
Ah the sarcasm tag. Where is it when you need it the most..

I, of course, need a savings account so I can buy another Phantom (and fix the boat, that's another sad story).

The number was 336 369 3972 the FAA

Here is the toll-free number for the FAA 1 (866) 835-5322, and that number listed comes back to a Verizon Wireless Customer. You do what you feel right as far as your videos, but the Special Agent setting across from me is laughing, seriously chuckling at the "jailhouse lawyers." And as for a Federal Officer not driving, there is no need to drive an hour or several hours.

Every office has an Area Of Responsibility (AOR). Someone in an office such as Denver is not going to drive or call someone in Seattle to talk to them. They will pick up the phone and contact that office in Seattle, or the closest office, let them know what is going on, and then send what is known as a "Collateral Interview/Investigation." From that point on, the closest office will take over the investigation.

NEVER will someone that is not in the subject/suspects AOR be directly contacted by someone out of that AOR for an investigation. If that was the case, our US Marshal office could just take off to anywhere, and arrest someone. That is not how arrests/investigation are conducted. Think of it as an IRS auditor. No officer in the main HQ ever go to a person's home to audit them. They will contact the local IRS Auditor, and direct them to contact the person being audited. And NEVER, will anyone that is an investigator give a wireless number to anyone. They will give the main office number because that is the protocol.

And just to let you know, you will first get a Registered Letter notification, not a call. It will give you the information for the inquiry, and a course of actions for you. It may say something along the lines of, "On this date and time... this is violation of USC 1234... (United States Code), and we would like you to call us in regard to setting up a meeting. Signature receipt of this letter will confirm you received it, and you have XX amount of days to do so. Failure to do so will result in other venues of recourse. This is a non-formal interview, you are not being charged of anything, simply a fact-finding interview, please respond in kind...." And then, there will be the persons, name, title, location, contact information, and either ink signature, or digital signed.

Do as you feel is correct, but if you have not done anything wrong, the burden of proof is on whoever contacted you. As for the height issue, unless you have the gauges overlaid for your videos that show the speed AGL height, etc, etc, the is NO way for anyone to know how high you are. Best of luck, and the Special Agent across from me said to tell everyone, "Have fun and fly smooth."

Some of the post in this thread make me take pause and wonder who is fooling who? I am trying to see through all the smoke & mirrors in this thread but it ain't easy. :neutral:
Anyways, here are the details surrounding that number given. It is in fact an FAA office near RB's home...

Screen Shot 2016-03-13 at 3.59.33 PM✨.png

Still doesn't prove this isn't a hoax because as shown here, anyone can get this information via the net.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3