Calibrating by the Ocean

Reaction score
I live about 30 minutes from the Gulf of Mexico in Houston and had a few issues calibrating on the beach this weekend. Flying out over the gulf I definitely would feel more comfortable knowing that my bird knows where home is lol. Any advice? I know some would advise not to fly over water, but flying over land is boring to me. I have a boosted Maxx Range on a P3P, so I can definitely go some distance. Oh, by the way I have a wind speed meter also, so I am taking the wind into account.

Thanks in advance!

There's no need to calibrate the compass before every flight. If you calibrated at home, then you're good to go.

FYI, check out this post for more details about calibrating the compass.

Reactions: Pharm
There's no need to calibrate the compass before every flight. If you calibrated at home, then you're good to go.

FYI, check out this post for more details about calibrating the compass.
Thanks man! I thought it was a good idea to calibrate every time you move.

Some have reported trouble calibrating at the beach due to the sand. Might be best to calibrate away from the beach.

But yes, as msinger says, it is a bad idea and silly to calibrate a Phantom before every flight. You should have a reason. See his link.

Why do you think sand will affect calibration?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Some people have asserted in some ancient posts on this forum that the magnetite in the sand might affect compass calibration. I ran some tests on some desert sand with so much magnetite in it that some outfits attempted to mine it commercially but unsuccessfully. My tests convinced me that the magnetite-rich sand had no effect on several different kinds of compasses or calibration of the Phantom's compass unless they were directly on the ground or about two inches above it. Thus calibration of the Phantom's compass at waist or chest high level will go just fine. On the other hand, see what a mechanical pencil or a big steel belt buckle will do to a compass when you move them over and around it. Avoid calibrating near your car, over big steel pipelines that may be underground, concrete that may have reinforcing steel in it, and facilities putting out electromagnetic radiation. And take it from me, don't take off from the top of your car or a manhole cover either and expect your Phantom will react normally. My P2V flew off about 50 yards from the manhole cover uncontrolled before its compass recovered and realized where it was and gave control back to me.

Reactions: Filmmaker and Meta4
I had a few issues calibrating on the beach this weekend. Flying out over the gulf I definitely would feel more comfortable knowing that my bird knows where home is lol.
The Phantom gets the home point location from GPS, not calibrating the compass.
The compass just helps it to fly straight and know what course it if flying.

Just off of the shore within eyesight of the beach is a treasure ship that was found by a friend of mine. You can easily swim out to it and it's only in about 20 feet of water max. When it was found he went to the state to get a permit to recover the treasure after taking them a sample but the state refused to give up the rights and demanded that he tell them the location. So it went to court and today it's still there because of the greed in the state government, he refused to tell them. But if you have a quad and fly over the Gulf a lot, chances are that you have been over it already. The water is fairly clear and you should be able to find it for yourself in time :) Not many people know about the find and he's dead now, so.... It is there, I have seen the pics but the rest is up to you guys. It's within 100 yards of the shore.

Reactions: lipa29
Just off of the shore within eyesight of the beach is a treasure ship that was found by a friend of mine. You can easily swim out to it and it's only in about 20 feet of water max. When it was found he went to the state to get a permit to recover the treasure after taking them a sample but the state refused to give up the rights and demanded that he tell them the location. So it went to court and today it's still there because of the greed in the state government, he refused to tell them. But if you have a quad and fly over the Gulf a lot, chances are that you have been over it already. The water is fairly clear and you should be able to find it for yourself in time :) Not many people know about the find and he's dead now, so.... It is there, I have seen the pics but the rest is up to you guys. It's within 100 yards of the shore.
Are you pulling my freaking leg or not! This ain't no poker face situation, I can't see your face, so therefore I cannot size this situation up. I will in a minute be down there searching my *** off! PM me, west end, east end, northside, southside, etc. Stewart Beach, Jamaica Beach, Crystal Beach, that is a wild goose chase with no more info than what you gave! Seriously, I'd like some more information. Heck, send me an email or call my cell.

Paul Byers
281-827-2753
[email protected]

It is a wild goose chase because I can't tell you everything. But it's right off of a well known, well traveled public beach. It's the truth but I've only seen pictures and that was back in 2004. He didn't tell me the name, just that it was a well used public beach there in the Gulf. He said north but was not specific. I don't think that I have the pics anymore but he was a well known treasure hunter, gold miner and movie producer. Unfortunately, the day he died, while we were on the phone, the thought came to mind but I didn't have the heart to ask. 4 hours later on 1/1/6, he died of cancer. His name was Wally Koz. He turned down Mel Fisher before Mel found the Atocha because Wally had state of the art equipment and Mel's was dated. He kicked himself for years and was a great friend and mining partner of mine a long time ago :)

Are you pulling my freaking leg or not! This ain't no poker face situation, I can't see your face, so therefore I cannot size this situation up. I will in a minute be down there searching my *** off! PM me, west end, east end, northside, southside, etc. Stewart Beach, Jamaica Beach, Crystal Beach, that is a wild goose chase with no more info than what you gave! Seriously, I'd like some more information. Heck, send me an email or call my cell.

Paul Byers
281-827-2753
[email protected]

HAHA

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.