Cached Maps on Device open to entire continent? - HELP Please.

Reaction score
Well this is embarrassing, but I need some EXACT steps in being able to open to a LOCAL map - rather than the entire Nation - in the DJI GO App (I happen to have an Android device with Wifi and GPS only).

Flights have been fine since the delivery of my P3A back in June. No issues at all. I'm all updated with the new 1.4.0010 and 2.1.0 GO App. Happy as a clam....except for one consistent and chronic "problem" which goes back to the very beginning, and hopefully is simple to resolve.

How, exactly, do I get the App to open with my local (chosen/cached) area showing in the map window? At take-off, the window shows the entire continent, so I must zoom and zoom and zoom and move and zoom until things look about right. Is this normal procedure? I've seen plenty of App tutorials where the local area is just...THERE and ready to go. No zooming. All is well with everything else, but this one thing mystifies me. Is there a trick to getting the map to open where you left it after doing the cache scanning in WiFi at home? I hope you don't have to leave the App running until you get to your field location the next day - that would be a bit much. Ha

Its gotta be simple, but I have certainly not figured it out.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Well this is embarrassing, but I need some EXACT steps in being able to open to a LOCAL map - rather than the entire Nation - in the DJI GO App (I happen to have an Android device with Wifi and GPS only).

Flights have been fine since the delivery of my P3A back in June. No issues at all. I'm all updated with the new 1.4.0010 and 2.1.0 GO App. Happy as a clam....except for one consistent and chronic "problem" which goes back to the very beginning, and hopefully is simple to resolve.

How, exactly, do I get the App to open with my local (chosen/cached) area showing in the map window? At take-off, the window shows the entire continent, so I must zoom and zoom and zoom and move and zoom until things look about right. Is this normal procedure? I've seen plenty of App tutorials where the local area is just...THERE and ready to go. No zooming. All is well with everything else, but this one thing mystifies me. Is there a trick to getting the map to open where you left it after doing the cache scanning in WiFi at home? I hope you don't have to leave the App running until you get to your field location the next day - that would be a bit much. Ha

Its gotta be simple, but I have certainly not figured it out.

Thanks!
What type of device?

What type of device?
Android with wifi and GPS, as mentioned. Happens to be a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 and has worked flawlessly from the get-go. No issues at all with the device itself, or the P3. Doing everything "by the book" and working slick as can be.

Just that one single map scale thing. Others seem to open it right up to a scale showing 50 meters or so where mine is 2000 miles or so. Once zoomed WAY in, the App shows exactly where the P3 is, no prob.

Last edited:
Android with wifi and GPS, as mentioned. Happens to be a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 and has worked flawlessly from the get-go. No issues at all with the device itself, or the P3. Doing everything "by the book" and working slick as can be.

Just that one single map scale thing. Others seem to open it right up to a scale showing 50 meters or so where mine is 2000 miles or so. Once zoomed WAY in, the App shows exactly where the P3 is, no prob.
I am running IOS, so I am not familiar with the settings on that device. So you are zooming in on the map using the zoom icon on the GO app? It sounds like to me that when your device is loading maps without regard to the GPS location, which leads me to believe, that maybe you need a cell connection to pinpoint the map. Do you have an android cell phone or know anyone that does. If you could try on another android device with cell service, then you could rule in or out the cell service issue. If it is not that, then there may be a setting on your Tab Pro 8 in a map app that you could "allow" it to identify your location -- the IPad map apps ask that question when you set them up. Hope that gives you some leads in ferreting out this issue.

I am running IOS, so I am not familiar with the settings on that device. So you are zooming in on the map using the zoom icon on the GO app? It sounds like to me that when your device is loading maps without regard to the GPS location, which leads me to believe, that maybe you need a cell connection to pinpoint the map. Do you have an android cell phone or know anyone that does. If you could try on another android device with cell service, then you could rule in or out the cell service issue. If it is not that, then there may be a setting on your Tab Pro 8 in a map app that you could "allow" it to identify your location -- the IPad map apps ask that question when you set them up. Hope that gives you some leads in ferreting out this issue.
Home pin and red airplane are there and exactly in correct position on map of whole USA. I touch small map window to take it full screen then use the two finger spreading technique on the screen to zoom zoom zoom and get the position centered and to a usable scale. The home and red airplane are spot-on during the entire procedure, going from USA size down to local size.

When zoomed in, the previously cached map in great detail is indeed there. The issue is ONLY having to take half a minute or so to get to a usable scale. Regarding changing to a cell phone and data, that is not an option. Besides, a quick look around in various comments and other resources show that others (without any kind of cell service) do not have to do this zooming procedure. I am convinced there is something really simple I am omitting.

Oh, and yes, the Location is permitted and turned on always. GPS is on and this has been confirmed to be very accurate and precise - 100% okay on that. It shows on this and other apps without issue.

Again, it just this crazy zooming requirement.

Last edited:
Home pin and red airplane are there and exactly in correct position on map of whole USA. I touch small map window to take it full screen then use the two finger spreading technique on the screen to zoom zoom zoom and get the position right.
When zoomed in, the previously cached map in great detail is indeed there. The issue is ONLY having to take half a minute or so to get to a usable scale. Regarding changing to a cell phone and data, that is not an option. Besides, a quick look around in various comments and other resources show that others do not have to do this zooming procedure. I am convinced there is something really simple I am omitting.
I have never had the issue, but I don't believe it is anything you are doing, but the way the mapping is retrieved on your device.

That is exactly the same way that Google maps open on the computer. The entire US is displayed and you have to zoom in-- but once that map is saved-- it stays at the same view as when you saved it. When you cache the map on the GO App, if you go back the next day, do you have to zoom in again.

It is a strange issue-- Maybe someone else will chime in here.

I have never had the issue, but I don't believe it is anything you are doing, but the way the mapping is retrieved on your device.

That is exactly the same way that Google maps open on the computer. The entire US is displayed and you have to zoom in-- but once that map is saved-- it stays at the same view as when you saved it. When you cache the map on the GO App, if you go back the next day, do you have to zoom in again. That is, Google Maps app is closed (besides, that uses wifi anyway).

You cache your map area from WITHIN the App, correct? I can't believe that would be the wrong approach all this time?

I do have Google Maps as a separate application of course, and know all about the "ok maps" feature, but have never used that instead of the Go App map inset while in wifi. Obviously, I do not use Google Maps in the field - no wifi (that is why I cache the maps in the App of course).

However, I have experimented with the Google Maps app, zoomed in and exited, and even saved the area there and exited, then opened the Go App...with no difference at all (still the whole USA) even in my living room with wifi on, plus GPS (get a few sats - the device, like the P3, gets both Glonass and GPS).

Last edited:

That is exactly the same way that Google maps open on the computer. The entire US is displayed and you have to zoom in-- but once that map is saved-- it stays at the same view as when you saved it. When you cache the map on the GO App, if you go back the next day, do you have to zoom in again.

Well, based on the fact that only one member of the forum - YOU (Thanks!) - has responded. I can only conclude one of two things:

Either everybody with an Android experiences the large scale map and it is normal to have to zoom in so much, or folks are leaving their Go App running until flying time. Hmmmm, seems strange.

Well, based on the fact that only one member of the forum - YOU (Thanks!) - has responded. I can only conclude one of two things:

Either everybody with an Android experiences the large scale map and it is normal to have to zoom in so much, or folks are leaving their Go App running until flying time. Hmmmm, seems strange.
Could very well be-- but now you have me curious-- I have a friend with an android-- I am going to check.:) Cheers

I'm on android and the app remembers the scale from my previous flight.

Would you do me a favor, please, and list the steps you take in caching to begin with? Mine definitely does not remember the (adjusted zoom zoom zoom) from the previous flight, once I have turned off the device and quit for the day.

I am certain that I am overlooking and omitting something really simple. By that, I mean everything has been great since mid-June - no issues flying or anything. ONLY shortcoming with this great product is the zoom necessity each time. Some setting or checkbox, maybe?

No giant problem, but I would love to see it solved.

Would you do me a favor, please, and list the steps you take in caching to begin with? Mine definitely does not remember the (adjusted zoom zoom zoom) from the previous flight, once I have turned off the device and quit for the day.

I am certain that I am overlooking and omitting something really simple. By that, I mean everything has been great since mid-June - no issues flying or anything. ONLY shortcoming with this great product is the zoom necessity each time. Some setting or checkbox, maybe?

No giant problem, but I would love to see it solved.
Sure. I open the Go app when I'm at home. Enlarge it. Zoom down to my required scale. Drag my finger around so it caches the tiles for a few miles around my take off point. Close the app. When I get to where I'm flying, I open Go and the map is there.

I assume you're adjusting the scale and dragging the map at that scale when you initially cache it over wifi?

Sure. I open the Go app when I'm at home. Enlarge it. Zoom down to my required scale. Drag my finger around so it caches the tiles for a few miles around my take off point. Close the app. When I get to where I'm flying, I open Go and the map is there.

I assume you're adjusting the scale and dragging the map at that scale when you initially cache it over wifi?
Yes, I do as you have done, 100% in every way, in WiFi etc. -- Including all the scanning around at the detail level I'd like to have. Everything the same. There is not "save" button or something is there? Hmmmm - I'm guess not, since it DOES indeed save the cached map.

Interesting, then, when I open the App again - the detailed map IS THERE, yes, but I must zoom-in (a lot) to get to it. I am very convinced that there is a setting in my app or on the device I am completely overlooking.

Thanks very much for posting that reply.

Yes, I do as you have done, 100% in every way, in WiFi etc. -- Including all the scanning around at the detail level I'd like to have. Everything the same.

Interesting, then, when I open the App again - the detailed map IS THERE, yes, but I must zoom-in (a lot) to get to it. I am very convinced that there is a setting in my app or on the device I am completely overlooking.

Thanks very much for posting that reply.
NP. Only thing map related I can think of is the "mainland china" thing, which I have turned off. Doubt that matters, but just a thought.

NP. Only thing map related I can think of is the "mainland china" thing, which I have turned off. Doubt that matters, but just a thought.
Yeah, that's all always turned off. Hey, I love the USA, so I'm not too upset at seeing the whole map each time I fly. Ha

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers