Buying Phantom 4? (Newbie plz help)

Reaction score
Hello Phantom community! The past couple of days I have been researching Phantom drones to purchase. I am looking at the P3SE or the P4. I know the P4 has been discontinued and that is why I have a few questions. 1) Even though DJI discontinued the P4, will they continue to release software updates for it so it does not become completely obsolete? 2) If I do get a P4 what problems will I experience? 3) What would you guys do, get the P3SE or go staright for the P4 so I have obsticale avoidiance and active tracking to track? 4) The P4 does not have the option to purchase a Care Refresh plan but instead a "DJI Care" package. Can someone give me some insight to those plans. (P3SE can get both plans) Any help would be greatly appreciated! Fyi I am a new pilot to the whole drone thing:) Thank you.

Right now, based on the contempt DJI is showing to the Phantom 4 community, I'd recommend you look at devices from other manufacturers.

I won't be buying DJI again. Not unless something miraculous happens from DJI.

Right now, based on the contempt DJI is showing to the Phantom 4 community, I'd recommend you look at devices from other manufacturers.

I won't be buying DJI again. Not unless something miraculous happens from DJI.
What issues have you encountered and what other manufacturers do you think I should look at?

I have not encountered any problems with the latest P4 firmware update but did notice several instances where it was unclear on how to proceed with the update and I may have simply gotten lucky.
As far as deciding between the P4 and the P3SE, both are proven in the market. I have never flown in a manner that would ever require obstacle avoidance but everyone is different. If the camera resolutions are the same, and the flight times similar, go with the cheaper version.

I've had a P4 for just on 12 months and have pumped a reasonable amount of money into it and intend on keeping it in the short to mid term. I treat it like a newborn, never crashed or had an incident that wasn't my fault, does the job and flies without fault.
Yes there have been issues with the last FW update and new restrictions around the latest go4 app, but that has been apparent across a number of other phantom platforms. I probably won't be updating either software or FW unless there is something extraordinary within them to tempt me across. Not sure about the pricing for the P3SE, but you can pick up a P4 for much less than their introductory price.

Reactions: DocDiggler
I've had a P4 for just on 12 months and have pumped a reasonable amount of money into it and intend on keeping it in the short to mid term. I treat it like a newborn, never crashed or had an incident that wasn't my fault, does the job and flies without fault.
Yes there have been issues with the last FW update and new restrictions around the latest go4 app, but that has been apparent across a number of other phantom platforms. I probably won't be updating either software or FW unless there is something extraordinary within them to tempt me across. Not sure about the pricing for the P3SE, but you can pick up a P4 for much less than their introductory price.
Where do you suggest I pick it up for cheaper?

Where do you suggest I pick it up for cheaper?
I live in Australia and the pricing has dropped from $2300 to $1600, but there are quite a few players in the market where I can get one with a spare battery for just over $1300. Expensive compared to the US, but much more competitive than 12 months ago. I have a boosted setup that out flies my battery and for my hobby use, is a solid platform.

What issues have you encountered and what other manufacturers do you think I should look at?

Sorry. I can't help you with other manufacturers at this stage as my research is in its initial stages.

I'd advise you to start reading the Phantom 4 forum over at DJI.com - good research and information if you're in the market for a drone.

Well i too live in australia too and last week I purchased a near new P4 (2 batteries) for just over $1100 aus on ebay..legit seller and no it has not got the latest firmware.

I started with a P3S and then moved to the P4. So far things have gone well with both. The P4 is still being updated so DJI has not dropped it from future changes. The addition of collision avoidance features is a REAL plus. The same is true of extended flight range compared to the P3S.

I rarely buy care packages as I prefer to work on my own stuff. I got my P4 as a refurb and its been a good value so far. If I were starting out today...I'd look for a deal on the P4Pro, as it includes more useful features and modes.

Even though DJI discontinued the P4, will they continue to release software updates for it so it does not become completely obsolete?
Even though discontinued, DJI still sells refurbished Phantom 4s here, continues to release firmware updates, and sells many P4 accessories in their store. They will most likely stop adding new features after newer Phantom models are released, but I'm sure accessories and assistance in forums like this one will be available for quite some time.

If I do get a P4 what problems will I experience?
It's been out for some time now, so it's a pretty stable aircraft. If you take the time to read and understand the P4 manual, learn how it works, fly in a location that's free of all obstacles as you're learning, etc., you should have a good experience.

What would you guys do, get the P3SE or go staright for the P4 so I have obsticale avoidiance and active tracking to track?
I would personally buy the P4 since it uses Lightbridge (instead of W-Fi). That will allow for a stronger signal and less interference. It also has a lot of other nice features like locking props and a dual IMU/compass. You can find a detailed list of its other features here.

The P4 does not have the option to purchase a Care Refresh plan but instead a "DJI Care" package. Can someone give me some insight to those plans. (P3SE can get both plans)
DJI Care is available for the P4 and DJI Care Refresh is available for the P3SE. Neither drone is eligible for both plans.

Both of these warranties are good for one year. The biggest differences are that DJI Care Refresh has no max limit of coverage and it covers water damage (as long as you're able to retrieve your Phantom).

If interested, you can learn more about DJI Care here and DJI Care Refresh here.

The P4 is a BEAST! I purchased at P3S in late 15' and flew for about 6-8 months then upgraded to the P4. I have not had one single problem with mine. I feel a lot of people on this forum have such trouble with there drones just on simple user error. Read and watch as much as you can on the P4 and you'll be fine. Don't let other people steer you away from the P4. Back near July 4th I was shooting several firework shows and in one instance I ignored the auto RTM because the grand finale was going off and I didn't want to miss it. Well I didn't have enough battery to make it home so I tried to land at the nearest shore line and it crashed and fell 40-50ft. Couldn't find the drone all night so I chalked it up as a total loss. Well I looked the next day during day light and FOUND IT! battery was missing (weird) props were broken and the shell was mis-aligned, also it RAINED that night. Found bugs and slugs in the battery compartment, cleaned it all up. Gave it the rice treatment as well as hair dryer to the internals, put the thing back together and it works 100%. I've flown 25 more times since then without a hitch. I HIGHLY RECCOMEND the P4!!!!

Hello Phantom community! The past couple of days I have been researching Phantom drones to purchase. I am looking at the P3SE or the P4. I know the P4 has been discontinued and that is why I have a few questions. 1) Even though DJI discontinued the P4, will they continue to release software updates for it so it does not become completely obsolete? 2) If I do get a P4 what problems will I experience? 3) What would you guys do, get the P3SE or go staright for the P4 so I have obsticale avoidiance and active tracking to track? 4) The P4 does not have the option to purchase a Care Refresh plan but instead a "DJI Care" package. Can someone give me some insight to those plans. (P3SE can get both plans) Any help would be greatly appreciated! Fyi I am a new pilot to the whole drone thing:) Thank you.

Reactions: Technical Bob
You always rejoice when you find a lost quad...I had a phantom lost for 3 days in some coastal scrub, I was determined to
find it and I eventually found it hidden under some bushes (it did not rain in that period phew) no damage.

Dude,

About your statement "..become obsolete.."

With P4, currently you better having ´obsoleté drone somewhat rather than last firmware/software:

- DJI hardware is excellent
- DJI software is not so good as hardware

If you buy a P4 you better consult forums to know how it goes before upgrading firmware or software - disable any automatic update in phone/tablet and ignore any message telling you there is an upgrade available.

PS: Also don't underestimate phone/tablet investment and compatible model. Forum can also help with this.

You've been warned!

Last edited:
Live in U.K., got good P4 but DJI don't sell them here so going to let it go. One crash, flew into treetop and damaged camera but all working fine now. Yours with 3 used batteries for £500

I'll pick one up eventually anyway, but if I had to do this all over again...

X-Star Premium | Autel Robotics

I'm really waiting to see what their next gen will be. They should be due due for an upgrade soon.

I love my Inspire and my Mavic, but I'm a hobbyist and the control DJI insists on having for MY quads has just become a little too intense for my tastes. I too, am done with DJI.

P4P+ was great until the latest firmware release. Hopefully they will fix it soon. I suggest the P4P/tablet option.

DO NOT buy the P4P+. The firmware debacle revealed some serious problems with having the dedicated built-in display (e.g.the inability to use any other apps while they work out the bugs in DGIGo). It also highlighted the major differences between the built-in version of DJIGo and the Android/iOS apps. Why they are different? I don't know but they are and the built-in version is must more restrictive in it's abilities/settings.

Reactions: JJUAV

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen