Buying my first rig

Reaction score
Evening y'all. I will be purchasing my first legitimate rig in the next day or so, and wanted to get some input before I pulled the trigger.

I've had a good bit of time behind the stick operating the el-cheapo drones, and now it's time to step into the big boy world. I'm buying direct from DJI, and I pretty much feel like I have my bases covered - but wanted y'alls input. So here's the current list in the cart.

DJI P4P w/ DJI Care Refresh
1 - Extra Prop Set
1 - Battery Charging Hub
3 - Spare Batteries
1 - Prop Guard
1 - Controller Hood
1 - Lanyard
1 - Seagate DJI Fly Drive

Now, here's a few questions that I had along with that. The DJI Hood and Lanyard was getting thrown in there for convenience of shopping in one place. There any other more stellar options for $20, or is it really no difference?

Being that I come from a photography background, I'm very familiar with the use of ND and CP filters. I know who makes the best ones for a dSLR - but not for a drone. I've seen a bunch of threads on PolarPro this and that, and I'm probably going to go that way... However, I live in Daytona Beach, FL - and am virtually surrounded and **** near live on the water. SO! With y'alls experience, what would be the best manufacturer for ND/CP's where almost 75% of what I will film will have water in the video? Can I get by with the ND4/8/16's from DJI whilst learning the ins and outs, or is it worth getting a better set?

As far as a case, I believe I'm going to sacrifice a Pelican case that I normally transport rifles in and use MyCaseBuilder. Albeit, I haven't looked much into alternative options at this point, so I'm not overly worried about this avenue yet.

Lastly, what am I missing? What are your suggestions to get? Any input is appreciated!

Thanks in advance
- Bravo

I doubt you will use the prop guards, they create more turbulence near the props, and if you need them they won't save you most of the time anyway. When quads get too close to the ground or walls or ceilings they become very erratic trying to compensate for the reflected exhaust. Congrats on your first high end quad, mine gets out about once a month on average but my race/acro quads get flown almost every day.

Is the fly drive a cheaper option than the Seagate portable Wifi NAS drives? It is USB C ony from what I have read. It may well suit your use needs however looking at the DJI pricing on their SSD it might be worth considering alternatives.

The DJI ND’s are fine.

Lastly, what am I missing? What are your suggestions to get?
Welcome to the forum!

That's a pretty good start for accessories. What do you plan to use for a tablet? I'd recommend a iPadMini4, or if money is no option get a 9.7" Ipad, or the pro. You'll need a 12" lightning cable for that if you use iPad, they don't include one with the drone.

You'll likely want to buy an SD card holder, and about 6 SD cards. If you plan to record 1080 they should be 32GB cards, or with 4K video buy 64GB cards. I just don't trust a field drive, but mainly I don't have time to transfer 4K video in the field to another device, just to reuse the SD card, so I just load up on cards and keep them safe. If you have time to transfer from the SD card to a drive in the field for backup, that's fine, but I wouldn't wipe the SD until you get home and successfully transfer to your editing machine and backup.

If you're into photography the Think Tank Helipak V2 is a great backpack. It's easy to travel with whether hiking, biking, in a car or a plane. Very good materials and the organization is the best on the market IMO. It will have room for your DSLR too.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

That's a pretty good start for accessories. What do you plan to use for a tablet? I'd recommend a iPadMini4, or if money is no option get a 9.7" Ipad, or the pro. You'll need a 12" lightning cable for that if you use iPad, they don't include one with the drone.

You'll likely want to buy an SD card holder, and about 6 SD cards. If you plan to record 1080 they should be 32GB cards, or with 4K video buy 64GB cards.

If you're into photography the Think Tank Helipak V2 is a great backpack. It's easy to travel with whether hiking, biking, in a car or a plane. Very good materials and the organization is the best on the market IMO. It will have room for your DSLR too.

I already have a 5th Gen 9.7" iPad, so that was the plan for the tablet. Got it solely for the drone honestly. I did not think about the lightning cable, good call on that! I have memory cards out the wazoo, along with card holders. #PhotogProblems. I'll definitely check out that Think Tank bag too, thanks John!

I already have a 5th Gen 9.7" iPad, so that was the plan for the tablet. Got it solely for the drone honestly. I did not think about the lightning cable, good call on that! I have memory cards out the wazoo, along with card holders. #PhotogProblems. I'll definitely check out that Think Tank bag too, thanks John!
Also, you'll want a Windsurfer to get the full 5mi range capability on 5.8Ghz AUTO setting. It's rocks.

You'll also want some motor covers. They come in handy for flipping the craft upside down to install the gimbal lock.

By the way, when you buy the ND filters, if they aren't DJI filters, the stock gimbal lock may not fit anymore on the camera That's why I like the DJI filters. I just bought the ND16 and 32, and that's been fine for desert and snow conditions, as well as beach water scenes, which I am always capturing.

Last edited:
I doubt you will use the prop guards, they create more turbulence near the props, and if you need them they won't save you most of the time anyway. When quads get too close to the ground or walls or ceilings they become very erratic trying to compensate for the reflected exhaust. Congrats on your first high end quad, mine gets out about once a month on average but my race/acro quads get flown almost every day.

Thanks for the info on that! I've seen that not many people use them after doing some research. Just saved myself a few bucks on that. Much appreciated!

Reactions: HighTechPauper
Also, you'll want a Windsurfer to get the full 5mi range capability on 5.8Ghz AUTO setting. It's rocks.

That was going to be another thread on the "Cool Aftermarket Parts / Mods" etc... Unfortunately, where I live is literally the busiest god **** airspace in the entire country (KDAB) thanks to all the flight schools in such a centralized area. So, being that there really isn't anywhere close to me that isn't within 5 miles of an airport, I won't really need that as of yet - but for $8, I might just buy it for grins as it does look kind of cool haha.

Speaking of the previously mentioned thread though, recommend any posts for me to peruse through?

As far as a case, I believe I'm going to sacrifice a Pelican case that I normally transport rifles in and use MyCaseBuilder.
If interested in seeing what's available, I have a list of P4P cases here sortable by price/size/rating/etc.

What are your suggestions to get?
Your list looks pretty complete. You can check out the must-haves I recommend for the P4P here.

So, being that there really isn't anywhere close to me that isn't within 5 miles of an airport, I won't really need that as of yet
Within a month you'll be so addicted to flying your P4P that you'll be driving 50mi or more to cool places you have found on Google maps. You'll be laying down for bed thinking about when and where to fly next. It's addicting. Your house chores will get neglected, you'll have to hire a gardener. :D

If I lived in Daytona I'd go alligator hunting, and capture gator tour airboats flying across the everglades. I'd be flying right behind the boat, or right in front of the boat flying backwards. Fun stuff.

Last edited:
If interested in seeing what's available, I have a list of P4P cases here sortable by price/size/rating/etc.

Your list looks pretty complete. You can check out the must-haves I recommend for the P4P here.

I came across your site when I was first looking into purchasing a while back. Definitely will check out the cases and what you have to offer. Thanks for the resource!

Within a month you'll be so addicted to flying your P4P that you'll be driving 50mi or more to cool places you have found on Google maps. You'll be laying down for bed thinking about when and where to fly next. It's addicting. Your house chores will get neglected, you'll have to hire a gardener. :D

If I lived in Daytona I'd go alligator hunting, and capture gator tour airboats flying across the everglades. I'd be flying right behind the boat, or right in front of the boat flying backwards. Fun stuff.

I have no doubt that I'll be immersed into it in all about 45 minutes.

Problem is with that, if I'm operating the drone - I can't gator hunt hahaha. And typically (as opposed to Swamp People) we have to gator hunt at night - so until a COA gets approved for that, it will have to be on standby.

Problem is with that, if I'm operating the drone - I can't gator hunt hahaha. And typically (as opposed to Swamp People) we have to gator hunt at night - so until a COA gets approved for that, it will have to be on standby.
I was talking about hunting them to capture on video, getting super close for some interesting shots.

Bravo19: We use the Polar Pro ND/PL 4/8/16 set. They perform well if you work to high standards. The ND 4/8/32 seem more popular, but you’ll appreciate the benefits of the added polariser. And we’re usually well away from water. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20