Buy the P4 or P4 Pro - Differences

Reaction score
So since this Mavic drone was nothing but problems for me (2 Mavic´s both with problems) i am thinking of buying either the Phantom 4 or the Phantom 4 Pro / Pro+.

Do you people consider the differences between these two drones important enough to buy the P4 Pro instead of the P4?

What are the differences except the obstacle avoidance on all sides, and a better camera?

And how big of a difference will the improved camera do for the videos?

Do both drones have all the same flight modes and Active track, Tripod mode etc. etc.?

I´m thinking if its worth almost double the price for the P4 Pro? I will use it as a Hobbyist, but i want video recordings of good quality, it doesn't need to be super quality, but good quality .
What do you people think? Thanks in advance.

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but i wanted to start my own thread and ask my own questions.

Do you want the best Phantom, or the best Phantom for the money? Two different things.

It's a personal decision. Personally, I'd pay the extra for the latest tech. I don't think it would be worth it (to me) to upgrade from the Phantom 4, but if I was starting out, certainly the P4P would be where I would start. The tech is superior, clearly,

Well it's all up to you, and honestly you will make the decision yourself. But I had a pre order for the mavic and canceled to get the P4. Anyways just think about it this way and ask yourself some questions.

1.) Am I going to be making money off these shots? Can I make my money back on the P4P?
2.) Will the P4 do everything that ME MYSELF AND I need it to do?
3.) Does the P4P offer anything that is truly important to ME MYSELF AND I?

Sure you are going to see all these awesome reviews about the latest tech the p4p has to offer, but think about real life application. Sure these features are nice, but will you get by with the P4? My game plan is to stick with my new P4 until some new products come out. I really want the mavic but I ended up finally talking myself out of it, because the only real buying factor was it was the latest tech and it was so small and portable, but I figured I mean I drive to my flight locations anyways so I don't need something pocket sized.

Final tip: Draw out a T chart listing the pros for the P4 and P4P in order of importance to you and decide if it's really worth the extra money.

There are some new bells and whistles on the p4p compared to p4 (such as more modes, better object avoidance, slightly reduced noise etc) but the only big improvement is the camera. That said, the new camera is a considerable upgrade and if picture quality and video quality is important for you, it is really a simple choice.

Given the price you can get a P4 today, if you were happy with the Mavic camera, the P4 is a great offer.

I'd also like to add that if you are using it as just a hobbyist I would strongly recommend the Phantom 4 over the Phantom 4 pro. You are going to get amazing video quality that you are looking for and you wont be left regretting that you spent almost double the price. These cameras are purely amazing.

I was in your place tell I decided to go with phantom 4... it serves all the needs and not worth the extra $$ to go for the pro as its a hobby.. I decided to get P4 and save the extra money until they release P5.. p4p is more like improved version of p4 but the new p5 you can guess it will be an innovation

Sent from my SM-G928V using PhantomPilots mobile app

I am just a hobbyist, and I traded in my P4 for a P4P and would do it again in a heartbeat. Faster speed with OA, the all around sensing for tight spaces, and the camera is tremendously better even for a hobbyist.

Not worth to get the P4P now.After two or three months they are going to release the P5.

What are the differences except the obstacle avoidance on all sides, and a better camera?
Per the P4P FAQ, here are the main differences between the P4 and P4P:

"The Phantom 4 Pro redefines the iconic Phantom series, bringing imaging and intelligence to new heights. Its uprated camera shoots 4K/60fps at a bitrate of 100Mbps and stills up to 20-megapixels, creating dramatically better images. The FlightAutonomy system adds dual rear vision sensors and two Time of Flight range imaging cameras for a total of 5 directions of obstacle sensing with a range of up to 30m in all directions. The upgraded Lightbridge HD video transmission system offers an extended maximum transmission range of 4.3mi (7km) and also enables you to switch between 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz. It can also be used with an optional integrated monitor for even more reliable transmission. Operators are also further empowered with a new suite of ActiveTrack and TapFly functions. The aircraft’s Intelligent Flight Battery also have increased capacity by 520mAh to enable an extended flight time of 30 minutes."

Not worth to get the P4P now.After two or three months they are going to release the P5.
I doubt that. They'll let the P4P mature at least 6 more months, maybe 9, before P5 will be announced IMO. It makes more business sense, since nobody else is even close to competing with the P4P, yet.

I predict P5 will have retractable landing gear and a 360 rotating camera like Inspire, with swappable cameras, using the same phantom sized craft. If they don't Autel will beat them to market with these features.

Last edited:
Reactions: nickn7
b37d201b5e15dc8ea33feaf1e346e920.jpg

Do you want the best Phantom, or the best Phantom for the money? Two different things.

It's a personal decision. Personally, I'd pay the extra for the latest tech. I don't think it would be worth it (to me) to upgrade from the Phantom 4, but if I was starting out, certainly the P4P would be where I would start. The tech is superior, clearly,

Superb advice.

i am thinking of buying either the Phantom 4 or the Phantom 4 Pro / Pro+.

I will use it as a Hobbyist, but i want video recordings of good quality, it doesn't need to be super quality, but good quality .
What do you people think? .
You can make really good quality videos with a P3P. In fact P3A makes great videos if 1080 or 2700 is adequate resolution for your goals. Learn on that and then graduate to a P5 later this year.

If you haven't edited 4K, it's a little more hassle than 1080. Checking that it may help your decision.

Last edited:
Personally, the purchase of DJI drone will still choose P4 drone.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers