Buy a P4 in 2020?

Reaction score
I sold my P4 Std 18 months ago and really miss it.

I've just bought a Mavic Air 2 but have the opportunity to buy a near-new P4 Std...should I splash out? The $$ isn't the issue, but am I potentially buying an outdated dog that I'll regret once the nostalgia wears out?

Thoughts?

Reactions: Adventures

I've just bought a Mavic Air 2 but have the opportunity to buy a near-new P4 Std...should I splash out? The $$ isn't the issue, but am I potentially buying an outdated dog that I'll regret once the nostalgia wears out?

Thoughts?

I can understand how you feel. There are a lot of "old dogs" out there still flying. I have a Mavic Pro and love it. But my go-to bird is my Phantom. I am selling my P4 Std since i upgraded to the P4P and will never get rid of it. I think DJI will keep the dogs updated for a long time. Happy flying!

Thoughts?
I have a P4. Bought the Mavic Mini and Mavic Air 2 and love them also. I am keeping my P4. If you get the P4 for a great price, buy it. Fly safe.

Attachments

• ED7B95BD-7A48-4F2A-BE12-A00C1DACE677.jpeg
    ED7B95BD-7A48-4F2A-BE12-A00C1DACE677.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 268
Reactions: Jim Canada
Agree with others, I have 2 P4Pro (previously owned P3P, P3S, P2V+) and I can't see myself getting rid of them just yet. I'm guessing that battery supply may eventually become an issue?

The P2 and P3 drones are still flown by the friends I sold them to.

Reactions: dronesky
I've just bought a Mavic Air 2 but have the opportunity to buy a near-new P4 Std...should I splash out?

The P4P is a great craft, but NOT the P4, IMHO. The P4 I have for sale has less range and signal integrity than my P3P from 2015. I had to use an Inspire controller to get adequate range from the P4, because the problem lies in the GL300C RC, it's weak. I suggest you forget about the P4, but buying a P4P is good value today, between $700 and $900, depending on the number of batteries. If you can buy one with 1.3.509 firmware in the craft, that's gold! PM me if you don't know why.

However, the upcoming Mavic 3 may be worth waiting for, announced to release Sept 26th. It's always interesting to see what DJI has up their sleeve. Could be a good bet. However, at that time the M2P might have a price reduction, like we've seen in the past, increasing the value. The M2P is a better craft than the P4P IMO, except for the lack of a mechanical shutter for photos, and the lack of 4K@60FPS for video, which are both supported in the P4P with the 1" sensor. The M2P flies better than P4P, the panning is way more consistent, able to pan very slowly, steady and easy. The P4P can't do that, it can't maintain a steady pan yaw movement like the M2 craft.

I have a Phantom 3 Standard, a Mavic Air, and recently just bought a P4Pv2. I love the Phantom, and when it comes time to work in the field the P4P is my go to drone.

Reactions: EaglePrecision
I would say probably not, if it was a P4P I would as this still has the best camera until the Mavic 3 comes out

Reactions: Phill2 and Andy9
OP, I could tell you what I fly, but it really doesn't matter since I doubt our needs are similar. You never stated why you fly and what you use drones for. I think most people have no real purpose, they just like to fly around and play, making the occasional shaky video or blurry overexposed picture. In that case, who cares? Just fly anything you have that you are familiar with. But if you fly in high risk areas or out of direct visual sight, or are a serious photo/videographer then certain features become more inportant like obstacle avoidance and a good camera. I assume you are not using the drone for work, inspections or mapping.

Very interesting about the camera of 'Mavic 3'? But only prediction I suppose.

Yep, pure speculation but I suspect they would need to better the M2P camera in the M3, otherwise why would you buy it instead

OP, I could tell you what I fly, but it really doesn't matter since I doubt our needs are similar. You never stated why you fly and what you use drones for. I think most people have no real purpose, they just like to fly around and play, making the occasional shaky video or blurry overexposed picture. In that case, who cares? Just fly anything you have that you are familiar with. But if you fly in high risk areas or out of direct visual sight, or are a serious photo/videographer then certain features become more inportant like obstacle avoidance and a good camera. I assume you are not using the drone for work, inspections or mapping.
Ouch!

Thoughts?
I am selling a P4 if you need it

Thoughts?
Yes go for a P4Pro the difference in the camera is remarkable because DJI put a lot of intelligence into the Phantom range
I think it will be a long time before the Phantom becomes ''Old Dog'' Stay safe.

I would say probably not, if it was a P4P I would as this still has the best camera until the Mavic 3 comes out
M3P is more than likely on the redo bench with RID in the meat of the implementation phase and RID around the corner and being hurried up by Amazon, UPS etc etc..Also doesn't look like the FAA is going to move on using broadcast only or ADSb compliance for drones so every drone in existence currently and whatever is on the drawing board will be grounded due to non compliance as soon as RID USS are up and running I'm afraid. As a final **** move I see the FAA giving the Phantom line partial immunity for existing platforms as its the one drone dji is trying its butt off to get away from for some stupid reason. So I see them granting phantoms and heavy lifts a pass and holding steady on Mavs because of the pain in the *** it will be. I would advise everyone to just rock with whatever platform they have right now and not shoot money out on something new and hyped before remote id comes out, because it will turn into an expensive paperweight. Of course I digress thats all just one knuckle heads opinion, and I hope they give a bit on the dumpster fire RID proposal as its currently written, or discussions like this one will be irrelevant in the blink of an eye.

Thoughts?
Man i have an P3P , an P4P v2.0, an MP1 and a MP2, i'm still flying my P3P and i really enjoy it.

I have a p4 stander got it new when it first came out. It might not go as far as the p4p but its a great drone. Very reliable and still my go to drone I do have some others but this thing works good foe me.

I really hope my P4Pv2.0 does not become a paperweight when the FAA establishes the remote ID. I paid a lot of money for this drone, hopefully they will incorporate any new requirements into a firmware update when the time comes.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31