Busted!

I fly over large parks in Melbourne, not had any problems at all. I too set max altitude at 120M and do actively try do the CASA guideline 'right thing' for hobby (non commercial) fliers, particularly wrt safety & proximity to people. Very regularly I have folk of all ages come over and talk to me interested in the capabilities, laws etc - I'm always happy to show and explain, never had a problem, sometimes kids get 'too close' and I fly away and ask parents to keep them back if I'm say changing battery etc until power off, I believe these parents appreciate the 'safety first' approach and lesson. Not sure whom the 'flight Ploice are though - good question'. Someone raised how should they know if one was over 400/120M - easy - the flight log records all (assuming DJI app which this forum is about). Just my thoughts, treated the folk around me walking dogs, bike riding or walking with respect, kept away from them & they in turn appear to appreciate & return the respect. Fingers crossed so far very good.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Phill2 and JohnnyB
So your allowed to fly out of sight distance but not height?

Forgive me butting in to add my opinion to this question, but I think the answer is hopefully obvious - one is NOT allowed to fly out of sight OR over 120M.

- Flying higher puts aircraft at risk - not smart.
- Flying out of site below 120M (or at night) CASA has determined is risky & not allowed, even though one may retain full control of craft.

I'm not offering an argument here, merely trying to clearly answer the question. Cheers

Reactions: Phill2 and Vzr1
Forgive me butting in to add my opinion to this question, but I think the answer is hopefully obvious - one is NOT allowed to fly out of sight OR over 120M.

- Flying higher puts aircraft at risk - not smart.
- Flying out of site below 120M (or at night) CASA has determined is risky & not allowed, even though one may retain full control of craft.

I'm not offering an argument here, merely trying to clearly answer the question. Cheers

Just checking Lozza [emoji106]

Some of you might remember an incident near Sydney a few years back when some morons were throwing half bricks off a bridge onto the Hume Highway A truck drive and father of two young boys was killed instantly.
Now you will notice most overpasses are fenced to prevent this happening again .
My point being a Phantom probably weighs about the same and the potential danger is obvious .If something like this were to happen and a drone caused the damage you would have to expect major changes.
I won't fly anywhere that I think could be dangerous ,you just have to use your brain.

Reactions: JohnnyB and Loz
Yep just come off a cruise ship at circular quay...there was a P3A flying over the ship circular quay,opera house and beside the harbour bridge...it was on the October long weekend..I found the operator and said mate I'd put thet away..there was thousands of people everywhere,he quickly packed up then we had a nice chat..He was from the states doing some shows around the country and I just said I don't think you can fly here they may fine you,there was helicopters above him and all that very lucky not to have been caught....
The most polite person who shared where he had been flying all over the world while on tour...
I hope I wasn't rude in saying that to him but if something went wrong well who knows????

You did well, he was flying irresponsibly by the sounds of it, telling him - that's not in any way being rude, it's being responsible [emoji106]

Reactions: Mozzie67
Yep just come off a cruise ship at circular quay...there was a P3A flying over the ship circular quay,opera house and beside the harbour bridge...it was on the October long weekend..I found the operator and said mate I'd put thet away..there was thousands of people everywhere,he quickly packed up then we had a nice chat..He was from the states doing some shows around the country and I just said I don't think you can fly here they may fine you,there was helicopters above him and all that very lucky not to have been caught....
The most polite person who shared where he had been flying all over the world while on tour...
I hope I wasn't rude in saying that to him but if something went wrong well who knows????
The opera house is a known no go, our US friend wouldn't have had the benefit of local knowledge though. I suspect he appreciated your informing him. The scenic flight path along the harbour and over the Southern pylon of the bridge makes that whole are somewhere best to avoid. The helis and seaplanes come through nice and low.

Reactions: Mozzie67
There is a resent post of a guy being locked up in Cuba for 14 days while being investigated for flying his P4 in the wrong place.
If your traveling I think it would be a good idea to be aware of the laws generally and specifically if you are taking a drone .Sydney is all vertically a NFZ from what I have read Its not hard to find this information
At least our jails/gaols sound more comfortable and we speak English ..sort of

Wished I could see down under before IQ drops further. Best out loud LOL in long time. Thanks

That's a bit harsh, we are derived from the best convict stock available at the time from the motherland. Reading this morning's news regarding a big horse race held in Melbourne yesterday suggests that we are the biggest bunch of alcoholic and partying slobs on the planet. You have no idea how much we practice for such an occasion. And we have access to drones....we are taking adventure to another level.

Reactions: Phill2 and Vasekp
He was such a nice person !!!! Quickly realised that he was doing the wrong thing..
My only mistake was not asking what he did to tour all over the world
He may have a super star hahaha.....
We were just to busy chatting how well these machines are

Only meant I was laughing at the comment about IQ being measured by number of teeth. Just an old Texan that enjoys learning from those loving their P3P like I do. Only negative thing I can say is my Trex 700E is getting dusty.

Only meant I was laughing at the comment about IQ being measured by number of teeth. Just an old Texan that enjoys learning from those loving their P3P like I do. Only negative thing I can say is my Trex 700E is getting dusty.

All good, I probably shouldn't poke fun at the locals where I live but when you are asked if they can go for a ride on my P4 to have a look at the country side, you start wondering where you've left your banjo....................

Reactions: JohnnyB
No dramas Mate! Us Aussies are pretty cool with people having a laugh, we don't arc up easily. On my travels to the US I learnt pretty quick that people can take offence when there is no intent to offend. It's like political correctness has gone a little overboard in some parts. You should come for a visit.

You should be able to put a good stabilisation system and a decent camera on the 700 heli. Two Gaui 7s can pick up a grown woman (and I'm not taking a scrawny Sheila either). Save the drone for your smooth video and relaxed flight and bring the trex out when you feeel like an adrenaline rush. None of my helis are flying ATM. I was only on 600 size but have my eye on the 700e. The 450s are squirrely little things but great fun and cheap also.

I can imagine you would have been laughing how easy it was when you first popped the phantom up off the skids.

No dramas Mate! Us Aussies are pretty cool with people having a laugh, we don't arc up easily. On my travels to the US I learnt pretty quick that people can take offence when there is no intent to offend. It's like political correctness has gone a little overboard in some parts. You should come for a visit.

You should be able to put a good stabilisation system and a decent camera on the 700 heli. Two Gaui 7s can pick up a grown woman (and I'm not taking a scrawny Sheila either). Save the drone for your smooth video and relaxed flight and bring the trex out when you feeel like an adrenaline rush. None of my helis are flying ATM. I was only on 600 size but have my eye on the 700e. The 450s are squirrely little things but great fun and cheap also.

I can imagine you would have been laughing how easy it was when you first popped the phantom up off the skids.

Should have seen the looks I got when I walked into a shop in the states and said I'm after a pair of thongs...... she said you want Two! I said yeah one for each foot! She said this i gotta see......... I'm like ooooooook then lol.

Thongs in Australia go on your feet here in Australia not up your bum lmao just incase anyone is wondering.

Am old enough to remember when thongs were for your feet here too. Have pictures of 2 trex 700 taking a model for a ride also. The 450 is my fav cause I can afford repairs but no longer can afford mishaps with 700. Too many years up tele poles and comm. towers (both hips are aftermarket) definitely not upgrades. Like your camaro , have daughter always hunting '80 firebird like the one I had. If you make back to states am near Dallas , caretaker of lg. lakeranch in E. Tx. Do you know any ham radio operators maybe we could get on air. KC5TAQ

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl