Built a little carrying case for my landing pad...

Reaction score
Hey doods!

Last year my girlfriend got me this kewl heavy-duty rubber "Inspire" landing pad for Christmas. I love the landing pad but it's heavy and awkward to carry. I've been carrying it in the original box for 8 months. Well...I finally got the gumption to build a case for it. My objectives:

1) Had to be quick and easy to use. Quick to pack, quick to unpack.
2) Had to be sturdy enough that we could throw it around without worrying about it; and if something fell on top of it, it wouldn't break.
3) Didn't have to be light-weight, as we don't really "hike" very far. If we do, we have carts.
4) Had to be cheap (under 20 bucks).
5) It had to store the pad rolled up, but not so tightly that it wouldn't flatten out quickly. A "loose roll" if you will.
6) The rope had to have enough of a loop to allow for large, leather gloves (which I usually wear when setting up and moving stuff).

This is what I came up with for $15.

DSC01989.JPG

I thought about end caps or straps to keep the pad in, but not necessary. The pad creates enough friction that it doesn't slip out. Plus the rope ends (inside the tube) kind of help hold the pad inside the tube.

I thought about a shoulder strap, but again, not necessary (can be added later if need be).

I thought about adding stoppers to keep the tube from rolling, but so far, not necessary (can be added later if need be - and the rope actually works as a roll-stopper).

I thought about adding rubber to the rope handle, but it's not necessary. The rope doesn't really dig into my hands, and I usually wear gloves when moving stuff anyway.

The whole thing is a little "weighty"...just under 10 lbs. Most of that weight is the pad.

I haven't taken it out on any jobs yet. I guess we'll see how she performs.

D

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
Excellent idea.

Reactions: Harleydude
with a cap on the bottom and a shoulder strap you could wear it like a quiver and leave your hands free

The cap would just get in the way. If you notice, the pad sticks out at both ends. Installing a cap would force the weight to bias the opposite side, which would make it awkward to carry. And I can always add a shoulder strap later if I deem it necessary.

Good idea for transporting the heavy pad! I use the same landing pad in fresh new powdery snow. The pad sinks in about 4 to 6".

Reactions: Harleydude

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl