Brutal beginning

Hi all,

I see upgrading discussion took place here, so Id just like to ask something, since I couldnt find exact answer.
I updated my P3P firmware, and since I have 3 batteryes, Id like to update batterys firmwares too... I realised i need to put those into the aircraft, but some details are missing.
Should I leave the .bin file on the microSD when doing that? Should I (or should not) turn on the RC, or to be more precise, if I insert non updated battery in aircraft, and start a regular power up procedure (RC, then aircraft, than mobile/tablet), is that battery going to be updated?

thank you, and receive my appologies if I intruded with OT.

I updated my P3P firmware, and since I have 3 batteryes, Id like to update batterys firmwares too
You can find instructions for updating extra batteries here.

Reactions: Raul Jereb
Should I leave the .bin file on the microSD when doing that? - Yes
If I insert non updated battery in aircraft, and start a regular power up procedure is that battery going to be updated? - Yes, if the .bin file is on the sd card.
Put the .bin file on the sd card and then put the battery in and it will update and you can also fly while doing everything at once :)

Reactions: Raul Jereb
Here is the location of the SD card. A adapter (not expensive at all) will allow you to insert into computer to read files and format card.

Attachments

• sd card.png
    sd card.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 258
Jay,

I am a 58 year old guy with a similar background and went through the same frustration a few years ago when I decided to go down this road. Fortunately, I had read all of the stuff on these forum pages before my P2 was delivered so I was somewhat prepared. I decided early on to take my time, learn all I could, ask a lot of questions and get very comfortable before even opening the box. I think I had the bird in hand for a good week to 10 days before I even attempted to put it in the air. I was able to do everything on my dining room table (with props off, of course!) before I took the bird up. There is a great deal to learn if you don't want to be one of the casualties around here. I am happy to say, I now have a fleet of drones, a P2, 2 P3Pros, a 3dr Solo, 2 Race drones, a Tiny Whoop and many other toy drones. I fell in love with this stuff but part of the reason why is because I like to tinker. I am a true hobbyist and I'm not looking to do anything professional. Just wanted something to do in my retirement.

You will find all of the info you need, right here on these pages. The main purpose of this first response was to let you know that your background will very much come into play but only after you start to get familiar with these systems. Take a breath and take your time. So many come here in frustration because they just want to throw the thing in the air. They usually aren't here very long. I'll check back in on this thread every now and again and try to help where I think I can. There are many others here with a great deal more knowledge and expertise than me and they will be very willing to help if they know you're doing your homework and you are being respectful. Good luck and relax!

Jerry
I'm a 76 year old guy with a similar background. Should I quit now?

Reactions: Jtrjr
JW,

Nah, it's too much fun! I just started with the FPV racing stuff a month ago. Talk about a different flying experience!

Jerry

NEVAAAH! The fact that you're 76 and even interested in these things tells me you're young enough to do it.

Absolutely concur with Jtrjr and others - do NOT quit. It is one of the most exhilerating things I've done in a very long time. May be a silly tangent, but, trying to set the stage on how much excitement I'm getting from this AWESOME drone:

I grew up on dirt bikes. Kept increasing engine & bike size, etc. All the way up into high school. Then in college got a street bike, cafe style race bike. Always ultra fast and exciting! When I got to be about 35, I watched some folks racing around on some badass looking snowmobiles. I had NEVER driven one and hardly ever gone for a ride on one. They looked SO cool, skimming over the snow and going every/anywhere. I spent a few years watching, wanting, learning which were the best, and then finally went out and bought a brand new 700cc Yamaha with an unbelievable suspension to race over bumps etc. Again, I read a ton of articles on these things trying to figure out which was best for what I wanted to do, what others were saying about the Pros and Cons of their sleds, etc. AND WHEN I FINALLY GOT IT - Wholy MUD! It was better than I imagined. And the excitement of something new like that - new to me having never done it before. Going 125mph across a lake!!!! Screaming around trails at 90mph with the back end drifting... WOW.

This drone brings a lot that excitement. Interesting to, as I mentioned earlier, there is some ...nervousness. (Just like the first few times I took the snowmobile out). Having never flown a drone before, and knowing how much money I spent on it - and all the time to get it "up and running" - I was nervous about mucking it up. So I started slow and having been getting better and better by leaps and bounds. I got up early today to get video around my area, (I live out in the country - Bolton, MA), and it's a nice sunny day. This morning was my 4th or 5th flight and I'm feeling very comfortable now. Being able to control 2 different motions at once, (direction and camera angle). This drone is incredibly agile, sophisticated, reliable and well built.

All in all, I bet you'll have a bit of an initial learning curve - heck, even to get everything sync'd up, firmware set right, and get everything on the same page. But when you do, and you start flying around and taking the videos you want - YOU'LL BE BLOWN AWAY and thrilled that you stuck with it. Definitely leverage this forum and the web for questions/issues you're having. Tons of people have been through what you're going through - and I solved everything pretty much within this forum, (thanks Msinger and others!!!). I'll answer any questions I can, but, I'm probably the last person you should ask :).

Good luck, stay with it, it's SOOOO worth it!!!!!

Absolutely concur with Jtrjr and others - do NOT quit. It is one of the most exhilerating things I've done in a very long time. May be a silly tangent, but, trying to set the stage on how much excitement I'm getting from this AWESOME drone:

I grew up on dirt bikes. Kept increasing engine & bike size, etc. All the way up into high school. Then in college got a street bike, cafe style race bike. Always ultra fast and exciting! When I got to be about 35, I watched some folks racing around on some badass looking snowmobiles. I had NEVER driven one and hardly ever gone for a ride on one. They looked SO cool, skimming over the snow and going every/anywhere. I spent a few years watching, wanting, learning which were the best, and then finally went out and bought a brand new 700cc Yamaha with an unbelievable suspension to race over bumps etc. Again, I read a ton of articles on these things trying to figure out which was best for what I wanted to do, what others were saying about the Pros and Cons of their sleds, etc. AND WHEN I FINALLY GOT IT - Wholy MUD! It was better than I imagined. And the excitement of something new like that - new to me having never done it before. Going 125mph across a lake!!!! Screaming around trails at 90mph with the back end drifting... WOW.

This drone brings a lot that excitement. Interesting to, as I mentioned earlier, there is some ...nervousness. (Just like the first few times I took the snowmobile out). Having never flown a drone before, and knowing how much money I spent on it - and all the time to get it "up and running" - I was nervous about mucking it up. So I started slow and having been getting better and better by leaps and bounds. I got up early today to get video around my area, (I live out in the country - Bolton, MA), and it's a nice sunny day. This morning was my 4th or 5th flight and I'm feeling very comfortable now. Being able to control 2 different motions at once, (direction and camera angle). This drone is incredibly agile, sophisticated, reliable and well built.

All in all, I bet you'll have a bit of an initial learning curve - heck, even to get everything sync'd up, firmware set right, and get everything on the same page. But when you do, and you start flying around and taking the videos you want - YOU'LL BE BLOWN AWAY and thrilled that you stuck with it. Definitely leverage this forum and the web for questions/issues you're having. Tons of people have been through what you're going through - and I solved everything pretty much within this forum, (thanks Msinger and others!!!). I'll answer any questions I can, but, I'm probably the last person you should ask :).

Good luck, stay with it, it's SOOOO worth it!!!!!

I love reading a thread like this. I'm also an IT pro and have been for decades. I had similar issues when I bought my P2V over three years ago. I was lucky enough to find this forum and half a dozen people had the patience and took the time and energy to get me up in the air. I can't thank those people enough. I enjoyed the experience to a degree where I eventually became a moderator here. I still fly my P2V, but now that the prices are down on the P3P... I'm seriously thinking about it.

So happy you were able to get airborne and even happier that a bunch of people chipped in to help you out. This is what this forum is all about. Nice job guys! :)

-slinger

Last edited:
Reactions: jpilk99
Hi all,

Sorry if you've "heard this all before", but, this Phantom 3 Advanced is ...brutal to get going with. I'd love some guidance, maybe there's a YouTube that can run middle ground to the User Manual, the DJI Go app, the remote and the drone itself. A couple of starting notes:

• I'm a 51 year old IT professional who grew up on technology. I can setup complex A/V systems, computers, mobile devices, car audio/bluetooth systems, etc. ...and this drone/remote/app is kicking myass! Haven't felt this stupid in I dont know how long.
  • Just got my drone yesterday from DJI and ...no User Manual was sent. I'm using the online version, saved PDF to my laptop, but, this is a huge PITA when trying to go outside and start Calibrating/using my new toy.
  • I've watched about 10 videos from DJI, like what "Follow Me" is all about, but, these are somewhat advanced features. I'm not seeing anything about ...Getting Started.
  • After fulling charging the drone battery, the remote, getting the DJI Go app setup, logging in, etc. I went through - I thought - successfully "connecting" the remote to the drone. Now going outside to start the Calibration process, and I immediately get a "RC Connection Lost" message in the top left of app. (After reading a number of posts on line, most people state that they get this after doing a firmware upgrade, which I was prompted to do and did. I was told this was successful).:: UPDATE: I just restarted the remote/app/drone and watched the app show "RC Warming Up" for about 3 minutes and then went back to "RC Connection Lost", but, again, the Remote status light has constant green.
  • A bit of a side note here, but, when I followed the instructions to "Calibrate" the drone, and brought that up in the Go app, it said: "Calibrate Compass? Press start to begin compass calibration". Where the &^%#*^ is the "start" option/button???? I hit the "Okay" button and nothing happens.
  • After successfully "linking" the remote to the drone, and having a constant Green indicator on the remote, I see the drone "link status indicator" is flashing green and red. I can't find anything in the manual that tells me what this means.

I feel like drop-kicking this frigging thing into the woods, but, that would be a stupid waste of about $750 as well as all my excitement and hopes of taking videos around my property. This thing seems VERY difficult to use and I can't even get started.

If anyone has gone through this frustration and has a useful suggestion, (yes, I know I can go play in traffic or go eff myself), but, I'm hoping this is not uncommon and there is a ...safe haven of information that can get me to a better place. I am not looking to utilize complex operating scenarios, shoot a full length feature film, or program flight operations that only an expert could tackle. I would like to turn it on, have it hover & fly around my yard, maybe video a bird flying around or whatever, and then look at the video on my computer. I feel like I'm about a 1000 miles away from that. Please help - and sorry for any feeble tone to my post here. Just can't believe it's this difficult.

Thanks,

Jay
I agree. There aren't many accurate instructions straight out of the box. I went through the same thing. I have learned that it is a piece of cake. If you would like to email me feel free to do so and I will walk you through some very simple procedures to get you going. [email protected]

Yep, if you don't format it in the app, you might get some artifacts that will limit the available space on the SD.

Is this fact or fiction? I have picked up many bits of solid advice here. One of which is having a .txt file on the sd card containing my contact info along with a reward offer. I add this file after I do a card format on my PC. Are you saying format the card in app then place into the PC to add the reward .txt file?

Thanks

Is this fact or fiction? I have picked up many bits of solid advice here. One of which is having a .txt file on the sd card containing my contact info along with a reward offer. I add this file after I do a card format on my PC. Are you saying format the card in app then place into the PC to add the reward .txt file?

Thanks
Great idea of a text file on SD card.

Not my idea, Read it here months ago. My question is about the formatting of the card. Please pardon the partial hijacking....

Yes format first ( card in craft and use app, not pc to format ) if not ,it will just erase your text file during format. They just copy and paste text file to memory card main directory, as a .txt file. Leave in main directory, not sub folder. So it will come up when card is viewed, and not hidden in a sub folder somewhere?

Hope this helps.
J Dot
:cool:

Brilliant idea though, whom ever came up with it! :)

Yes format first ( card in craft and use app, not pc to format)

OK Thanks

Leave in main directory, not sub folder. So it will come up when card is viewed, and not hidden in a sub folder somewhere?
This is the method I have used since day one as directed by an earlier thread.

I am not a computer guy. I just don't see how formatting in the aircraft is superior to my PC. But I will listen and abide by the advise.

Rarely have I been steered wrong here.

Formatting through Pc will not add the needed directories on card, ( will require inserting into bird and turning on to get directories)as craft formatting will put the directories there automatically.
plus as stated above, you may find hidden bs, on card placed there by Pc ( ultimately taking up much needed space on card. ) your right is really should not matter much, but why risk it, phantom was designed to do it all onboard, so why not? Most likely a preference I guess, but I've always used phantom, as per manual instruction. Plus I've seed flash drives ( not DJI related ) get misc crap put there, after format,or loading files, that I did not put there. Only once or twice, but it can happen.

Please do, what you are comfortable doing, but most of us here, hear of a problem some member may have or have had, so we all take the steps to avoid the situation ( not that it WILL happen, but more that it CAN happen ) remember, an ounce or PREVENTION, is worth a pound of CURE,

J Dot
:cool:

Reactions: V tail

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20