Brothers Turn Self In For Illegal Drone Flight

Reaction score
It was a dumb move. Media may be blowing it out of proportion, as they're prone to do. Not saying they shouldn't be punished, but the media shouldn't be their judge, jury, and executioner. Too many people put way too much faith in news/social media, as most of us know.
As @ianzone said, we've all done dumb things...

Brad

Last edited:
It was a dumb move. Media may be blowing it out of proportion, as they're prone to do. Not saying they shouldn't be punished, but the media shouldn't be their judge, jury, and executioner. Too many people put way too much faith in news/social media, as most of us know.

Brad
Amen but the media always go for headlines in the aviation world if you crash a single engine plane it makes the headlines across the US just imagine if that was done with all auto crashs in US just saying were in great company :)

@dronesky Yeah. I know. Doesn't make it right, though. Right now, the scariest things on the planet, according to most media outlets, is drones and those dang "scary black rifles". Both of which I own. So far, neither have spontaneously injured or killed anyone. They have both helped cut down the wild hog population running rampant in our part of the world, but no one seems interested in that little tidbit. Oh well. I guess I'll lock mine up tonight so neither can get loose and kill me in my sleep... ???

No mention that they were flying after Civil Twilight? Was the UAV equipped with the required 3 mile VLOS anti-collision strobe light?

I'm sure most Part 107 pilots have to carry some form of liability insurance for their job, but yes you can also insure your drone recreationally, if you can afford the premiums. I looked into it and the costs range from $350 to $3000 per year, depending on coverage, and that was just one company I looked at.

As things are going now, the 107 guys may go broke paying theirs, if idiots like the two brothers keep popping up...

Brad

Brad,
Thanks for the info. I also looked up what AMA coverage is for recreational flyers. Here is an excerpt from AMA on their insurance coverage. It cost me about $70.00 per year for insurance as a recreational flyer and included membership. I hope this helps. They also have a lists of payout amounts that covered their members. It's for real. Been around since 1936. The insurance and membership covers you where ever you fly as long as you are following the safety code and flying recreationally.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: RE: can you tell me if the hobby flier membership insurance covers me flying on someone's property who has given me permission to fly?

Good morning,

Yes, our membership covers you where ever you fly as long as you are following the safety code and flying recreationally. If I can assist further, please let me know.

Have a great day!

Branda Manns
Membership Services | Leader Club Coordinator
1(800)435-9262 ext 297
[email protected]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Excerpt of the AMA insurance coverage. The membership fee covers the insurance too. Insurance covers drones. FAA recognizes AMA as an accredited organization.

INSURANCE COVERAGE *
? $2,500,000 per occurrence, General
Liability coverage to members, club,
siteowners
? $25,000 Medical Coverage-AD&D
Policy
($10,000 Death Benefit)
? $1,000 Fire, Theft, and Vandalism
Policy
? Various Types of Aeromodeling
Covered
(RC, FF, and CL)
? Liability also covered for operations of:
? Model Boats
? Model Cars
? Model Rockets
*per terms of policy acquired by AMA

Attachments

• AMA Description of Primary Owners Insurance.pdf
    162.3 KB · Views: 188
@Jean Tessmer Maui Hawaii
Very nice! Thanks for that info! That is not totally unreasonable for hobbyist/ recreational. I checked with the company that insures our farms and the rep said she could add my drones under my farm policy as long as I stay recreational/agriculture only flying for my farms. As it is now, we pay about $24k a year for liability and other coverage for all the rented/owned farms, so I don't think another $14 a year will be noticed... ?

Brad

Brad
Shoot: Very, very true. Like when one of these glorified thunderstorms forms off the coast here in FloriDuh and the big three are purposefully leaning into a light drizzle warning of a monster forming in the Gulf. Zzzzzz

Reactions: Shoot4fun
@Jean Tessmer Maui Hawaii
Very nice! Thanks for that info! That is not totally unreasonable for hobbyist/ recreational. I checked with the company that insures our farms and the rep said she could add my drones under my farm policy as long as I stay recreational/agriculture only flying for my farms. As it is now, we pay about $24k a year for liability and other coverage for all the rented/owned farms, so I don't think another $14 a year will be noticed... ?

Brad
Good to know, Thanks Brad

Check out insurance through the IDRA about $300 a year.

They do not cover the hull, so if you crash it’s your loss but they cover 1M in liabilities as long as you are flying legally.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31