Broken Controller Video Button

Reaction score
My P3A controller took a tumble yesterday and landed right on the video start/stop button. The button has lost any feel of movement now. It still actually works, but any quick movement of the controller will activate it.

Has anyone tried to replace one of these? I've emailed the repair companies on DJI's website inquiring about cost to repair something like this but no response.

I'm also considering opening the controller and cutting the switch out of the circuit and use just the on/off in the app. My only concern is I am considering some third part apps and don't know if they require this hard switch or if they use an in-app button like DJI's.

Any thoughts?

My P3A controller took a tumble yesterday and landed right on the video start/stop button. The button has lost any feel of movement now. It still actually works, but any quick movement of the controller will activate it.

Has anyone tried to replace one of these? I've emailed the repair companies on DJI's website inquiring about cost to repair something like this but no response.

I'm also considering opening the controller and cutting the switch out of the circuit and use just the on/off in the app. My only concern is I am considering some third part apps and don't know if they require this hard switch or if they use an in-app button like DJI's.

Any thoughts?
The RCs are so fragile. The plastic breaks easily and we have seen many posts about buttons and/or sticks breaking off. Its so disappointing.
My guess is that something inside is broken and the button has detached at least partially.

As I was reading your post, I was also thinking that if it were me I would open it and disable the switch. You made a good point though about a possible future use for the button.

Yeah like Oso said they don't take a beaten very well! I think you'll probably find because these parts are readily available that to get it fixed on your own dime would cost as much as it used controller or a new one for that matter. You see them on the classifieds here all the time for pretty reasonable. If it were mine I would disable it like you're planning and if you need that button for third-party apps then you could look for a reasonable priced replacement

Thanks guys. I'm pretty good at troubleshooting and repairing electro-mechanical devises and from what I've seen online it's not too hard to take one of these apart. Looks like the only sensitive step is the ribbon cable and another wire that span the two halves of the controller.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I'm pretty good at troubleshooting and repairing electro-mechanical devises and from what I've seen online it's not too hard to take one of these apart. Looks like the only sensitive step is the ribbon cable and another wire that span the two halts of the controller.
If you do open it, while in there I suggest you check every screw boss since they frequently crack.

Update: Opened the controller, the video button is a small circuit board switch with a ribbon cable rather than a simple two wire configuration. I did remove the button that presses the switch in the hopes that with it not there resting on the actual switch that the switch would not activate with movements of the controller, but that did not work. This switch and the three position Mode switch are on a small plastic bracket that can be removed for access to either. Re-assembled the controller and normal movements when flying will cause the switch to activate.

I have ordered a used replacement controller from ebay. Once I have it and know that it works Ok I will do more experimenting for a solution, or part out the controller if there is a market for that kind of thing.

Lessen learned - be VERY careful with these. Looking inside it is not the most sturdy built device. A simple drop could break any number of things inside this unit. This fall also cracked an interior small plastic piece that one of screws goes in making the screw useless. Mine will be on a neck strap or in the case - one of the other.

fr_58.jpg

Update: Opened the controller, the video button is a small circuit board switch with a ribbon cable rather than a simple two wire configuration. I did remove the button that presses the switch in the hopes that with it not there resting on the actual switch that the switch would not activate with movements of the controller, but that did not work. This switch and the three position Mode switch are on a small plastic bracket that can be removed for access to either. Re-assembled the controller and normal movements when flying will cause the switch to activate.

I have ordered a used replacement controller from ebay. Once I have it and know that it works Ok I will do more experimenting for a solution, or part out the controller if there is a market for that kind of thing.

Lessen learned - be VERY careful with these. Looking inside it is not the most sturdy built device. A simple drop could break any number of things inside this unit. This fall also cracked an interior small plastic piece that one of screws goes in making the screw useless. Mine will be on a neck strap or in the case - one of the other.

View attachment 55845
Thanks for the update. Good luck sir.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl