Boy oh Boy am I new! What did I just do?

Reaction score
Hello Drone World,

My name is Wishbone and I live in the United States and specifically in Arizona. I am a retired Captain Paramedic from the Federal Fire Service and have been a full time Realtor buying and selling Real Estate for the past 5 years.

I have been in the RC airplanes and Helicopters since I was around 7 years old. In my helicopter line up I have had all the way up to a 90 size helo. However, I never did aerobatic tricks that the machines are well capable in doing. I was in the life scale style of the sport. It has been a very long time since my hands have been on the sticks of flying and I have to admit they were real hard to learn to fly as well as setting up.

Needless to say I have wanted a drone for a very long time and in the Real Estate I see it more and more and I want to stay current with the trends to take care of my clients. So I purchased the best drone I could afford for my business without breaking the bank.

I purchased a DJI Phantom 3 Professional with everything you can buy for it. the hard case, lots of blades, blade guards, camera filter kit, extra batteries, you name it. My Christmas gift should arrive on December 3rd. So I thought I would dive into the do's and don'ts from the pros on here. Of course at the moment I feel I am way over my head, which is why I am reaching out to you. I could very much appreciate some guidance as I am 100% new to drones and flying drones but purchased the Pro quadcopter. So I didn't know if I should be doing all of my learning from the DJI Standard threads or not. Please be merciful.

Wishbone

Hi, P3 Pro good choice with lightbridge, it's quite easy to learn, even not hobbyist.
i can recommend to learn how RTH works. And learn how to use and charge batteries and you get longer lifetime.
Youtube is full of good tutorials too.

Jani

Welcome
The manual and DJI videos explain it all..
If you've done RC 'anything', then these things are an absolute breeze, just download and read the manual.
Contented flying!

I could very much appreciate some guidance as I am 100% new to drones and flying drones but purchased the Pro quadcopter.
You've done well to get the P3 Pro. It's a great machine and although DJI have released newer models, it's still very capable and the model should still have a lot of life in it.
And it's still beyond the technology of any other manufacturer.
It would be ideal for real estate work.
The Phantom 3 is much easier to fly than you imagine.
The trick is to not let this fool you into getting too adventurous too early.
Do your early flights in a large open area, well away from trees, buildings and obstacles.
Be afraid, very afraid of trees, buildings etc. They are involved in most incidents.
Read up on return to home procedures, practise using RTH and cancelling it so you understand how it works and how you can resume control in an RTH situation.

Reactions: flyboy73
Having flown RC helis I can almost promise you that you will find it hard not to laugh when you first pop the phantom off the skids up into a hover. They are ridiculously easy to fly, very little skill required. It will just sit there and if you leave it land itself when the battery runs out. The luxury you have is thinking time. With the helis your only ever 3 mistakes and 4 seconds max away from a box full of bent alloy and cracked carbon fibre. Loose your cool with the phantom and you just let the sticks go and it will stop and wait for you to collect your thoughts. And no fiddling with levelling swash plates, trimming servos and mixing fuel. You will have a ball.

welcome aboard, congrats on your purchase of the P3P, excellent machine and so simple to learn it...read everything you can about it and all it features, read manual and make sure you understand it all completely...above all be safe and common sense goes a long ways...have fun

Hello Drone World,

My name is Wishbone

Welcome to the forum Wishbone.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
This bunch here are the smartest you will find anywhere :)

There's a guy on you tube that had alot of videos on how to do things and it's called Tom's tech time. I think he had videos on how to do everything pretty much if you wanted to check that out. I've learned a few things from him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using PhantomPilots mobile app

I thought I would dive into the do's and don'ts from the pros on here. Of course at the moment I feel I am way over my head, which is why I am reaching out to you. I could very much appreciate some guidance
Welcome to Phantom Pilots! Check out my tips at PhantomHelp.com.

Having flown RC helis I can almost promise you that you will find it hard not to laugh when you first pop the phantom off the skids up into a hover. They are ridiculously easy to fly, very little skill required. It will just sit there and if you leave it land itself when the battery runs out. The luxury you have is thinking time. With the helis your only ever 3 mistakes and 4 seconds max away from a box full of bent alloy and cracked carbon fibre. Loose your cool with the phantom and you just let the sticks go and it will stop and wait for you to collect your thoughts. And no fiddling with levelling swash plates, trimming servos and mixing fuel. You will have a ball.
Thanks for the encouragement. I also think the older we get and pay a lot for our toys messes with our minds too. When I was in my teens, either my dad paid for my choppers or my sponsors did and of course no fear. I am eager and excited to learn from the pros on here. Thanks everybody for the input.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.