Bluetooth GPS for ipad?

Reaction score
Hello everyone.. First post.
I have had my P3P for about 2 months now and have been learning a lot in this forum. I have a 32G ipad air wifi only and would like to add bluetooth GPS to it so I can view the map when I fly with no internet. I have read good things about the Dual Electronics XGPS150A and may buy. Looking for some guidance on how well the unit works with the DJI Go app IOS. Maybe some other units that members prefer? One last question.. Do the bluetooth GPS units load the google maps or is another map source shown?

Thanks in advance..

Do the bluetooth GPS units load the google maps or is another map source shown?
No. You need an Internet connection in order to load the map. Either cache the maps before you head out to fly or use your phone as a hotspot to share its Internet connection.

Hello everyone.. First post.
I have had my P3P for about 2 months now and have been learning a lot in this forum. I have a 32G ipad air wifi only and would like to add bluetooth GPS to it so I can view the map when I fly with no internet. I have read good things about the Dual Electronics XGPS150A and may buy. Looking for some guidance on how well the unit works with the DJI Go app IOS. Maybe some other units that members prefer? One last question.. Do the bluetooth GPS units load the google maps or is another map source shown?

Thanks in advance..
First off, welcome to the forum!

When using a mobile device that lacks it's own GPS, an external GPS device will give you the ability to use some optional features such as Follow Me or changing the home point to your RC's current location. The most talked about here on the forum are Bad Elf, Dual and the Garmin GLO. All have been reported to work well whenever this question is asked. There are pros and cons. One con being that an external GPS is one more thing to charge and carry. One pro being that once you own an external GPS, you'd no longer need to spend extra for the cellular version of an iPad when you replace your current iPad. Of course, you'll also hear (correctly) that Android tablets almost always have built in GPS. A few things to consider for sure.

Maps are not required to fly, but many find them useful. As Mike noted, GPS alone does not transmit map/terrain data for you to download to your device. If you do not have internet access where you plan to fly (tethering or otherwise) and you choose to use the maps, they must be downloaded (cached/stored) in advance via the internet.

If you want to read about a few different scenarios with regard to iPads, click here.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe
OK I guess my main question is this hypothetical scenario..
I take my drone out to an area that has no wifi or available data whatsoever and I have not previously cached the map in the area prior to my arrival.
If I use a bluetooth GPS device at this new location, will the new area map show up in the DJI GO apps map screen?

OK I guess my main question is this hypothetical scenario..
I take my drone out to an area that has no wifi or available data whatsoever and I have not previously cached the map in the area prior to my arrival.
If I use a bluetooth GPS device at this new location, will the new area map show up in the DJI GO apps map screen?
No. GPS alone does not transmit map/terrain data. If you do not have internet access where you plan to fly (tethering or otherwise) and you choose to use the maps, they must be downloaded (cached/stored) in advance via the internet.

Reactions: JoBe
Ok well that clears that up.. wont be getting a GPS. Guess Ill have to rely on my crappy Sprint cell service to hotspot from my phone. Might as well have 2 cans connected by a string..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20